Gilbert Mcadam? Practical joke?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just being the contrarian. He was awful to be honest, but in fairness to him its a job that needs next to no skill. He's not hosting an event
Fair call. His counterparts aren't much better

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
I don't think its intelligent conversion when you say you would not draft an Aboriginal player unless he had one white parent which Rendell said.It was clearly an old racist sterotype which is not true. And it potentially meant he was choosing white kids before black kids.The mondern day recruiters are nearly as bad regarding what they said about Sydney Stack.
That's the thing, though. Did he say he was going to adopt a specific policy where indigenous kids had to have one white parent? Or was he using a throwaway line to emphasise a more serious problem which actually needs adressing?

We all know that what he said wasn't politically correct. We all know that it wasn't an intelligent thing to say to... basically anyone who wouldn't see the comment for what it was. I will concede that it was unnecessary to say, but it did not warrant the outrage that came from it!

Is it racist if an organisation conducts a risk assessment and concludes from the findings that indigenous players are, on average, less likely to succeed at AFL? I ask that rhetorically, as nobody will ever convince me that facts and racism can't and shouldn't be viewed mutually exclusively.

Clubs are in the business of recruiting the best possible talent. Recruitment managers are accountable for the players they recruit. If indigenous kids are a flight risk, or more likely to go off the rails, it's not a recruitment manager's job to fix the problem; he's paid to ascertain the facts through a due dilligence process.

So, had this Mifspud [sic] muppet actually been paying attention at the time, he may well have been all over the fact that the attrition rate of indigenous draftees is significantly higher than players of other ethnicities. Perhaps, he may have even adopted processes to amend this...

As for Sydney Stack, I haven't been across any issues there? He's been a revelation this year for your mob and looks like a great prospect. What exactly did the "other recruiters" say about him?

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
That's the thing, though. Did he say he was going to adopt a specific policy where indigenous kids had to have one white parent? Or was he using a throwaway line to emphasise a more serious problem which actually needs adressing?

We all know that what he said wasn't politically correct. We all know that it wasn't an intelligent thing to say to... basically anyone who wouldn't see the comment for what it was. I will concede that it was unnecessary to say, but it did not warrant the outrage that came from it!

Is it racist if an organisation conducts a risk assessment and concludes from the findings that indigenous players are, on average, less likely to succeed at AFL? I ask that rhetorically, as nobody will ever convince me that facts and racism can't and shouldn't be viewed mutually exclusively.

Clubs are in the business of recruiting the best possible talent. Recruitment managers are accountable for the players they recruit. If indigenous kids are a flight risk, or more likely to go off the rails, it's not a recruitment manager's job to fix the problem; he's paid to ascertain the facts through a due dilligence process.

So, had this Mifspud [sic] muppet actually been paying attention at the time, he may well have been all over the fact that the attrition rate of indigenous draftees is significantly higher than players of other ethnicities. Perhaps, he may have even adopted processes to amend this...

As for Sydney Stack, I haven't been across any issues there? He's been a revelation this year for your mob and looks like a great prospect. What exactly did the "other recruiters" say about him?

Here's an article from last week and it looks like the recruiters got it wrong again and added a few unnecessary judgemental comments.

How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun

The final straw for one club came when Sydney Stack failed to show up for work.
Stack had last year started a bank traineeship in Perth, but his sudden no-show was enough for this club’s recruiting team.

“You’re just thinking, ‘Gee whiz mate, footy is a grind. You can’t just not turn up whenever you feel like it’,” the recruiting chief said.

“You obviously start asking: ‘How will he go meeting the requirements and punctuality at AFL level?”
In a year in which Stack was turfed from the AFL Academy, kicked out of the WA State Academy, stood down for the first game of the under 18 championships and lost his licence, AFL clubs assessing his draft worth didn’t need Sherlock Holmes to discover his wayward nature.

Despite possessing an on-field talent many clubs rated as first-round worthy, they were outweighed by the off-field problems.
It goes some way to explaining the now inconceivable — how Richmond’s four-game, 18-year-old cult-hero could be ignored in last year’s national and rookie drafts.

47359b16e94ee6b1ef669bc33931d685

The Tigers themselves didn’t take him with any of their four national draft picks and then overlooked him with their five rookie draft picks before choosing the ‘try before you buy’ approach in the new supplemental selection period.

Rival recruiters contacted by the Herald Sunpraised Richmond for taking the risk they were never going to.

“I still remember when he left our interview thinking, ‘S. t i’d love to take a punt on this kid’. You realised footy could change his life, but we didn’t have the foundations set up enough to support him off-field,” one talent spotter said.

“It’s not a cheap exercise relocating a kid and you’re trying to evaluate where will they live and who will they mix with. There’s a lot that goes into it.

“Full credit to Richmond … but keep in mind they’ve got 100,000 members so budget isn’t such a big deal. For other clubs you’re weighing up risk versus reward.

“You hope it does all hold together because if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid. He’s not going to become a builder or something like that because he lacks the discipline.”

6b1519666f1371713f4687d781bb3303

Sydney Stack pulls down a huge hanger during Richmond's win over Melbourne. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.

***One club’s list manager said: “He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field, but there was never any doubting his IQ on-field.***

“You have to be able to sit back and ask, ‘Does the talent stack up and is the off-field stuff going to affect the on-field?

“You then have to assess your own club. Have we got the resources to give this a chance?

“This is where Richmond have done really well. They’ve clearly put things in place to minimise that risk.”

Incredibly, Damien Hardwick took Stack under his roof in December and for a week in January. He now lives with former Saint and Lion and development coach Xavier Clarke.

“It was massive for ‘Dimma’ to take him in,” one recruiter said.

“Daniel Rioli was completely different. He’s got a good sense of humour and is quite cheeky, whereas Sydney was a bit of a hard-arse … and didn’t trust many people and you can’t blame him for that because that’s what he’d grown up with.”

One recruiter who had followed Stack’s journey said idle time had been the danger.
“He comes from a really tough background, but during the footy season he always had focus. When there was no footy was the big worry,” he said.

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Here's an article from last week and it looks like the recruiters got it wrong again and added a few unnecessary judgemental comments.

How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun

The final straw for one club came when Sydney Stack failed to show up for work.
Stack had last year started a bank traineeship in Perth, but his sudden no-show was enough for this club’s recruiting team.

“You’re just thinking, ‘Gee whiz mate, footy is a grind. You can’t just not turn up whenever you feel like it’,” the recruiting chief said.

“You obviously start asking: ‘How will he go meeting the requirements and punctuality at AFL level?”
In a year in which Stack was turfed from the AFL Academy, kicked out of the WA State Academy, stood down for the first game of the under 18 championships and lost his licence, AFL clubs assessing his draft worth didn’t need Sherlock Holmes to discover his wayward nature.

Despite possessing an on-field talent many clubs rated as first-round worthy, they were outweighed by the off-field problems.
It goes some way to explaining the now inconceivable — how Richmond’s four-game, 18-year-old cult-hero could be ignored in last year’s national and rookie drafts.

47359b16e94ee6b1ef669bc33931d685

The Tigers themselves didn’t take him with any of their four national draft picks and then overlooked him with their five rookie draft picks before choosing the ‘try before you buy’ approach in the new supplemental selection period.

Rival recruiters contacted by the Herald Sunpraised Richmond for taking the risk they were never going to.

“I still remember when he left our interview thinking, ‘S. t i’d love to take a punt on this kid’. You realised footy could change his life, but we didn’t have the foundations set up enough to support him off-field,” one talent spotter said.

“It’s not a cheap exercise relocating a kid and you’re trying to evaluate where will they live and who will they mix with. There’s a lot that goes into it.

“Full credit to Richmond … but keep in mind they’ve got 100,000 members so budget isn’t such a big deal. For other clubs you’re weighing up risk versus reward.

“You hope it does all hold together because if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid. He’s not going to become a builder or something like that because he lacks the discipline.”

6b1519666f1371713f4687d781bb3303

Sydney Stack pulls down a huge hanger during Richmond's win over Melbourne. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.

***One club’s list manager said: “He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field, but there was never any doubting his IQ on-field.***

“You have to be able to sit back and ask, ‘Does the talent stack up and is the off-field stuff going to affect the on-field?

“You then have to assess your own club. Have we got the resources to give this a chance?

“This is where Richmond have done really well. They’ve clearly put things in place to minimise that risk.”

Incredibly, Damien Hardwick took Stack under his roof in December and for a week in January. He now lives with former Saint and Lion and development coach Xavier Clarke.

“It was massive for ‘Dimma’ to take him in,” one recruiter said.

“Daniel Rioli was completely different. He’s got a good sense of humour and is quite cheeky, whereas Sydney was a bit of a hard-arse … and didn’t trust many people and you can’t blame him for that because that’s what he’d grown up with.”

One recruiter who had followed Stack’s journey said idle time had been the danger.
“He comes from a really tough background, but during the footy season he always had focus. When there was no footy was the big worry,” he said.
I don't see a problem with most of that. I do think it's inappropriate for recruiters to publicly state that the guy is, putting it nicely, a dumb campaigner, though.

I hope Sydney proves the doubters wrong! It needs to be said, however, that even if Sydney wins a Brownlow, his recruitment by Richmond was seemingly a huge risk.

Last edited:

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't see a problem with most of that. I do think it's appropriate for recruiters to publicly state that the guy is, putting it nicely, a dumb campaigner, though.

I hope Sydney proves the doubters wrong! It needs to be said, however, that even if Sydney wins a Brownlow, his recruitment by Richmond was seemingly a huge risk.
He's not dumb it's just stereotyping imo.They all got it wrong, a lot of 18yo blokes are like that and they judged him on some family convictions nothing to do with him.It's a disgrace no one even rookied him.We'll have to agree to disagree.

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
He's not dumb it's just stereotyping imo.They all got it wrong, a lot of 18yo blokes are like that and they judged him on some family convictions nothing to do with him.It's a disgrace no one even rookied him.We'll have to agree to disagree.
If he displayed attributes which are deemed precursors to character flaws, it's not really stereotyping. Facts are facts, you need to take the emotion out of the decision.

Your club saw Sydney as just as much of a risk as the other clubs. Just because they eventually recruited him, doesn't mean he was viewed as any less of a risk. Otherwise, he would have been recruited a lot higher in the draft.

As the article stated, Richmond is a wealthy club, so it had the financial resources to absorb potentially losing the significant financial investment required to give Sydney every chance to succeed.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If he displayed attributes which are deemed precursors to character flaws, it's not really stereotyping. Facts are facts, you need to take the emotion out of the decision.

Your club saw Sydney as just as much of a risk as the other clubs. Just because they eventually recruited him, doesn't mean he was viewed as any less of a risk. Otherwise, he would have been recruited a lot higher in the draft.

As the article stated, Richmond is a wealthy club, so they had the financial resources to absorb the potentially losing the significant financial investment required to give Sydney every chance to succeed.
Yes but in hindsight don't you think everyone got it wrong?

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Sure, in hindsight. But due diligence is a process, it's not rubbing the oracle. Sydney Stack may well have been the next Dayle Garlett.
Or Lawrence Anguin, Sam Murray, Laughie Keath, Jake Stringer, Nick Stevens, Jamie Elliot, Jorden DeGoey, Josh Bootsma.ect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Or Lawrence Anguin, Sam Murray, Laughie Keath, Jake Stringer, Nick Stevens, Jamie Elliot, Jorden DeGoey, Josh Bootsma.ect
I see what you did there... but, let me ask you something! If Sydney wasn't indigenous, would you have even raised the recruiters' comments as an issue?

I mean, it seems like you're implying that if an indigenous fella is judged for having a questionable work ethic and a dodgy background, it's stereotyping. If a white boy is judged the same, then it's justifiable criticism because he's a dickhead?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, either. I am just trying to better understand where you're coming from, though.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I see what you did there... but, let me ask you something! If Sydney wasn't indigenous, would you have even raised the recruiters' comments as an issue?

I mean, it seems like you're implying that if an indigenous fella is judged for having a questionable work ethic and a dodgy background, it's stereotyping. If a white boy is judged the same, then it's justifiable criticism because he's a dickhead?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, either. I am just trying to better understand where you're coming from, though.
Yes I would have, once you say people have a low IQ and that you can't make it in the real world because you have no discipline, your're crossing the line imo.

Welcome to 2019 where people are selected on race and not best person for the job. The equal opportunity act driving standards lower..

McAdam has been on the Marngrook show for 10 years, so at least he’s served an ‘apprenticeship’. Guys like Lingy, Mooney etc get on with bugger all media experience and it shows.

Based on that you could be right, it could be a race issue

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Yes I would have, once you say people have a low IQ and that you can't make it in the real world because you have no discipline, your're crossing the line imo.
I agree, they were inappropriate comments regardless of the individual's race.

The reason I asked, though, was because you brought up Sydney Stack in the conversation about Matt Rendell's comments.

It seemed like you were using Stack as an example of where Rendell's comments were off the mark regarding indigenous kids specifically. Contextually it wouldn't have made any sense to bring up a white kid who may have been (unfairly or not) scrutinised.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Anything is better than Dermie. With Dermie I tried having a can every time he dribbled on about something we HADN'T seen ourselves, dry argument.
With Gilly I have a can every time he says 'BT', by the end of the game I sound like Dermie, a dribbling idiot.
Go Gilly

GOHORCS

All Australian
Nov 12, 2011
Mount Martha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is a breath of fresh air and there are plenty who could be better but that does not include BT, Wayne Carey, Kane Cornes, Cameron Ling and Gerard Healey.
I was just speaking to a friend about him. His delivery is crude and he sounds like he is low IQ when he talks.........however what he actually says and his footy nous is really great and is not afraid to back himself in with his knowledge.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Might be a nice bloke but he couldn’t be more awkward in front of the camera. He’s a bag of nerves. It’s like he has no idea what is going to come out of his own mouth.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've never liked him. In the early years of Marngrook he was more confident as the camera clown, but around 5 years ago his footy knowledge deteriorated (you could tell he was barely watching a game), to the point where he was a panel embarrassment, and starting to feel it lost his confidence. After his awful 2017 he had to go. Unfortunately, Kickett was much more uptight and even worse on camera, so Gilbert came back into the fold. Shame they can't get a decent co-host on Marngrook, as their regulars and women are all enjoyable enough.

Probably an okay buddy to have, but I don't rate his interest in the game. He only started appearing on C7 when his Marngrook position became untenable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back