• Draw

• Brisbane by 1-24

• Brisbane by 25-49

• Brisbane by 50+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Structure is like the number one excuse for accepting mediocrity. Just look at Reid and how important he is to our “structure”.

On-field leadership is incredibly important as it allows your junior players to learn running patterns and to figure our changing matchups.

Some good examples of this are

- GWS's improvement once Shaw came into the team
- Brisbane's improvement once Hodge joined the team

Negative examples of having no real experience

- Carlton's lack of improvement when no leaders were part of the team (Docherty makes a huge difference to this)

It is all around finding the right balance, personally I don't think Jack is part of the squad if McVeigh is available. You also have to note the game is very different to how it was played 10 years ago when individual brilliance can repeatedly decide a game, instead structures, gameplan's and consistency usually outweigh individual brilliance (The 2014 grand final is a good example of this, and so is Geelong's recent lack of success whilst they had Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Hawkins and co, the reason Geelong have improved dramatically this year is largely due to the recruitment of bit part players who have improved their structure and overall gameplan.

Justifying Jack’s selection because of his leadership is ******* laughable.

Hey guys, it’s OK, we’re playing with 21 men this week but hey at least we have a coach on field to fill that 22nd spot!

No thanks! Yes too much inexperience can lead to floggings. You know what’s more likely to lead to floggings? Carrying passengers whose scope ranges from doing SFA to being an actual liability. We played one of the worst grand final teams in AFL/VFL history in 2016 and lost to them, because we had passengers who weren’t fit and couldn’t contribute. Remind me how McVeigh’s leadership helped us when he was standing there watching Bulldogs players running straight past him, and he didn’t bother tackling or chasing in case he pulled his calf ? Remind me how Jack going to ground, missing tackles, falling over as his legs give out, is good in any way shape or form for the kids to see? That’s the lead they’re following?

What makes a good team that plays well is when you’re players are in form. We already have too many that aren’t, and we’ve just brought in another one who is so far past being in form it’s ridiculous, and on top of that, didn’t have to prove it. Frankly disgusted with this selection.

Not really....?

If the team was in a similar phase back then, he would have been selected for the same reasons as Jack I suspect.

Circumstances were entirely different.

When the team’s a shambles, you don’t play an out of form has-been. That makes your team worse.

Hehe...

I know you don’t like stats but I thought of you when I read this:

Sam Reid has won 47% of his one-on-one contests in 2019. Ranked 2nd in the AFL for the top 20 that have been involved in a contest.

(Footy Live App)

Stats prove that Reid has been good this year?

Well there you go.

Thank you for finally proving my point that stats are useless.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Admittedly it is only 2 games, but then again Rowbottom has only played 2 games so it is Apples and Apples but in 2018 Rowbottom is averaging 11.5 disposals per game and Jack is averaging 12.5 disposals per game. However, Rowbottom has a disposal efficiency of 78% while Jack only has a disposal efficiency of 64%.

Jack offers nothing that Rowbottom wouldn't, and Rowbottom has huge upsides and room for growth.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It will slow Rowbottom's development if we keep playing old players who are passed it over him.

It could also hurt him if he isn’t given the time to develop his all round game by going back to the slower NEAFL at times where he has the time and space to work on his game.
Given he is 18 and isn’t 19 until September he has plenty of time on his side.

The two AFL games he has had will give him a real understanding of what is required, the speed of the game etc.

Last week we were smashed in contested ball and Rowbottom only had 2 contested possessions and 8 uncontested. The prior week he had 13 disposals but only 3 contested. I would suggest they would like him to compete a little bit more at the contest. Just a guess.

Good kid, looking forward to him developing!

It could also hurt him if he isn’t given the time to develop his all round game by going back to the slower NEAFL at times where he has the time and space to work on his game.

The two AFL games he has had will give him a real understanding of what is required, the speed of the game etc.

Last week we were smashed in contested ball and Rowbottom only had 2 contested possessions and 8 uncontested. The prior week he had 13 disposals but only 3 contested. I would suggest they would like him to compete a little bit more at the contest. Just a guess.

Playing as a forward on the outside of the pack and he only had two contested possessions? Truly shocking.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
When the team’s a shambles, you don’t play an out of form has-been. That makes your team worse.

His first game back he had 14 disposals at 78% and kicked 2.1. Had 6 score involvements.

Second game he got a knock to the hip early in the game.

He is going to give more than the kids and his experience will come in handy in the forward half whether you believe so or not.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
But he can play. You obviously don't watch NEAFL and he hasn't done a lot wrong, except the 100 metre penalty, which I think was far too harsh. He has been in limbo ever since. You reckon Horse doesn't get a set against players just see Aliir, Mitchell, Newman and the list goes on.

COR would be better value atm than Blakey, Ronke, Melican even Parker who has been inconsistent. At least COR gets the ball and he delivers just better than Jack or Parker do lately

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
OUT: Parker, Jack
IN: COR, Rowbottom.

His first game back he had 14 disposals at 78% and kicked 2.1. Had 6 score involvements.

Second game he got a knock to the hip early in the game.

He is going to give more than the kids and his experience will come in handy in the forward half whether you believe so or not.

This is exactly my point. He plays bruise-free footy. Seems like you only need to touch him and he ends up with niggles. That’s not good for the team to have someone like that involved. Too many games now it’s felt like the youngsters are carrying Jack, not the other way round. Should’ve retired end of last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Or perhaps his contested possessions would go up if Longmire gave him a run through the middle. He is an in and under midfielder after all, so if he is put in his correct position odds are his contested possessions would go up a lot.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Playing as a forward on the outside of the pack and he only had two contested possessions? Truly shocking.

In his two games thus far, he has had 2 of his 23 disposals inside 50, 1 in defensive 50 and the other 20 between the arcs.

Anyway I am not going to join the hysteria. I don’t get emotional about this stuff...

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Horse longs for the day when his midfield core was at its peak (JPK, Jack, Hanners and Parker). I think he is so stuck into what made him successful and not giving anyone else a chance in the midfield. That was 7 years ago. Times change. Have a feeling this is a sentimental pick.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I can answer: Getting old and slow in a year we were challenging in a grand final, as opposed to getting old and slow in a year where we had half a team learning to play consistent AFL-level football.
ROK also played the rest of that yer in the NEAFL being an on field leader for the youngsters.
So according to a whole heap of unhappys on here we are playing players that should be in the NEAFL so Jack is merely doing what ROK did back in 2014 but just in our significantly weaker senior team.

People complaining for the sake of complaining JM!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Or perhaps his contested possessions would go up if Longmire gave him a run through the middle. He is an in and under midfielder after all, so if he is put in his correct position odds are his contested possessions would go up a lot.

He is 18!
I would personally ease him into AFL footy rather than throw him into the fire pit.

(Do NOT being up Walsh, on a different level)

In his two games thus far, he has had 2 of his 23 disposals inside 50, 1 in defensive 50 and the other 20 between the arcs.

Anyway I am not going to join the hysteria. I don’t get emotional about this stuff...

Yet none on the ball. All in general play. And I know this because I was watching with hope that he’d get some time in the action. But alas, no cigar.

No one’s emotional here, just a lot of goal posts being moved.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Yet none on the ball. All in general play. And I know this because I was watching with hope that he’d get some time in the action. But alas, no cigar.

No one’s emotional here, just a lot of goal posts being moved.

No one is emotional?

That’s a laugh!!

No goal posts being moved, some just don’t agree with you.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Stats prove that Reid has been good this year?

Well there you go.

Thank you for finally proving my point that stats are useless.

Not at all. Reid had the dropsies earlier this year but the stats demonstrate he is still winning his contests even if he doesn’t mark the ball.

He isn’t perfect but he isn’t the no hoper you think he is either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back