Next AFL CEO - jungle drums for Gil?

Remove this Banner Ad

the watering down of list equalisation in terms of the draft and trading will be enough to see him go tbh. he's basically killed the ability for clubs to rebuild into the finals once they've truly bottomed out, that we saw 20 years ago. once you are up, its now easier to stay up, rather than having upward pressure on the sides at the bottom

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Wasn’t down at the Bool for the carnival this week which meant we didn’t get the chance to see Gil sporting his landed gentry look

1556862623776.jpeg

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
the watering down of list equalisation in terms of the draft and trading will be enough to see him go tbh. he's basically killed the ability for clubs to rebuild into the finals once they've truly bottomed out, that we saw 20 years ago. once you are up, its now easier to stay up, rather than having upward pressure on the sides at the bottom
Lol
In other words i blame the afl for my team being s**t
So , so sad

Lol
In other words i blame the afl for my team being ****
So , so sad

not at all, we have our own issues, but you cannot deny that the draft and list equalisation measures have been watered down and the affect it has had on clubs to rebuild. out of all the clubs to truly bottom out only 3 have played finals: GWS (massive draft and list concessions), WB and Melbourne. Of which Melbourne received priority picks and the quasi priority pick from losing Frawley. WB were also somewhat assisted by their Father sons and the rule on the run that caught sides offside come finals, only just making the 8. they've since returned back to where they came from pretty damn quickly. you can actually go one step forward and identify the clubs that won flags purely based on the concessions they received, be it the priority pick, father sons etc.

i think the main reason for this has been the removal of the priority pick which helped clubs bottoming out get access to elite talent, couple with the watering down of the draft and the opening up of player movement which benefits clubs already playing finals. another problem has been the removal of the third party payments cap, which is now completely open, essentially watering down the salary cap pressure put on finals clubs.

the introduction of the academies to where someone like tarryn thomas is delivered to north melbourne, because he was playing in tasmania is utterly absurd. north melbourne did nothing for the kids development, but because the club was zoned to tassie, they get a first round prospect.

then you look at the affect free agency has had on player movement. where by clubs already playing finals benefited and were able to stay up for longer. salary cap pressure is not what it once was either, thanks to opening up the unlimited third party payments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh Caro talking up a Richmond person, surprise, surprise. When Gil does eventually go I hope they go outside the code and, you know, find the best person for the job.

Brendon Gale has done a fair job turning a basket case back into a powerhouse though. He wouldn’t be the worst candidate

Brendon Gale has done a fair job turning a basket case back into a powerhouse though. He wouldn’t be the worst candidate

at the end of the day, he just implements what the board demands. he will be subservient to what ever Goyder and co want. that might be where the real issues lands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back