Analysis AFC SANFL 2019 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren Partland's take on the game.
ADELAIDE 2.3 5.6 8.10 12.14 (86)

NORWOOD 5.0 9.5 9.10 9.14 (68)

BEST - Adelaide: McHenry, Jones, Wilson, Hunter, Hamill, Stengle.

GOALS - Adelaide: McAdam 3, Stengle, Wilson 2, Wright, Jones, Strachan, Johnson, Hutchesson.

1556908676604.png
The 2018 list-management choices around trade, draft, rookies and top-ups certainly had a fair bearing on the result of the game.
Although bests is pretty subjective, even just looking at goals, only Wilson made either of the bests/goals list out of anyone else who was already on the list.
Of the 2 who didn't get a mention, Butts was also talked up for his defensive performance tonight, and Sholl has been in the bests in recent weeks.
Hopefully some of this form can translate into AFL performances once some of these guys get a proper crack in the firsts.

Time for guys like Ned to replace Knight. Tackles just as hard but will find more footy. DMac for Jones. Start blooding the future.

It’s not how we do it. If the more experienced player didn’t play bad enough to get dropped or played ok the week before, it doesn’t matter how good you’re going in the 2s or how high quality you may be. We don’t have more experienced players who can be described as unlucky to make way. We look to have made a step forward keeping JJ out, but he was putrid and has been worse in the 2s, but we’re nowhere near saying, “Knighter and Mackay were doing what we asked of them and they’re very unlucky to be missing this week, but Ned and Jonesy just demanded selection”.

Wilson has the potential to be a far more damaging player than CEY, offers nearly as much muscle but quicker and a far more penetrating kick....and the notable difference he's a KICKING midfielder.

Isn’t that also his problem? Even you’ve said his field kicking is poor when hitting up players over 40m and less. But did look good tonight.

Was it you Bronx cheering JJ in the 3rd when he took a mark on the wing?
No bloody mate I was with wanted to leave at half time and I missed the second half, but as a Norwood supporter that was a good thing, having said that I had money on a Crows win.

Jenkins was copping it from the crowd big time, I hope he wasn’t listening, would have been offended.

Jenkins was copping it from the crowd big time, I hope he wasn’t listening, would have been offended.

He took 2 marks within a couple of minutes on the wing in the 3rd and got jeered both times. Unless I drink, I can’t get past about 8:30 at night and am awake around 4 all week, so was asleep for the final quarter where he must have gotten a bit more involved.

Glad to see Jones have an impact coming back from a few weeks off. He and Ned will be fighting it out for that spot in the AFL side when it becomes available. Hopefully we pull the trigger sooner rather than later on these guys to get them into the side.

Patrick Wilson: 25 disposals, seven tackles, five marks, five clearances, two goals
Ned McHenry: 25 disposals, 19 contests, five inside 50s, four tackles
Chayce Jones: 24 disposals, eight clearances, five tackles, four marks, one goal
Jordon Boyle*: 23 disposals, eight marks, six rebound 50s, three tackles
Andy Otten: 21 disposals, seven marks, four rebound 50s
Tyson Stengle: 19 disposals, four marks, two goals
Paul Hunter: 19 disposals, 29 disposals, nine clearances
Jordon Butts: 19 disposals, seven marks
Matt Merrett*: 15 disposals, five marks, four rebound 50s
Luke Brown: 14 disposals, four rebound 50s, three marks
Ben Davis: 14 disposals, eight marks, four inside 50s
Josh Jenkins: 14 disposals, five marks, three tackles
Will Hamill: 13 disposals, two marks
Lachlan Sholl: 13 disposals, seven marks
Matthew Wright*: 12 disposals, four marks, one goal
Hamish Latchford*: 12 disposals, three marks, three rebound 50s
Tom Hutchesson*: 11 disposals, three marks, three tackles, one goal
Shane McAdam: 11 disposals, five marks, three goals
Darcy Fogarty: 11 disposals, seven spoils
Mitch Johnson*: eight disposals, six marks, one goal
Kieran Strachan: six disposals, three marks, one goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gallucci and/or Knight fail to perform on Sunday then McHenry must come in for the Showdown. He will make us better as soon as he's in.

Ned seems like he would absolutely be in his element debuting in a Showdown and would play a big one

I say make it happen!

Pleasing we at last get to see something of Chayce Jones in his natural habitat as a mid.

I’m not sure picking him and hiding him under the guise of being a small pressure forward did anything other than say “ look at us we’re playing our top pick too”

Play him and stick him in the guts - we already know he can dominate state league, was doing that last year

It’s not how we do it. If the more experienced player didn’t play bad enough to get dropped or played ok the week before, it doesn’t matter how good you’re going in the 2s or how high quality you may be. We don’t have more experienced players who can be described as unlucky to make way. We look to have made a step forward keeping JJ out, but he was putrid and has been worse in the 2s, but we’re nowhere near saying, “Knighter and Mackay were doing what we asked of them and they’re very unlucky to be missing this week, but Ned and Jonesy just demanded selection”.
This is where the club is wrong. Use Mackay as an example. Will this be his final year? Possibly or some would say hopefully. Say Mackay and Ned are on par with one another. We must get games into the player that will be playing next year. I believe Ned would offer more than Mackay now. I believe Don is changing but too slowly.

The Foxtel commentators before the game last night Port vs Collingwood were sickeningly over the top about Port's recruiting and their 3 superstar 2019 debutants - and all credit to Port for playing them early -however last night they all appeared overawed and hit flat spots. I don't mind our semi conservative approach I think it benefits in the long run, mind you I don't want to see Ned and Chayce playing SANFL all year but I do like the easing in - the pressure from below building from these guys is fantastic for the club.

One huge thing that's seemingly changed with the SANFL side is the inclusion and selection of our top ups. They have equal voice and responsibilities as the senior guys. Had a quick chat to Radar pre game and he said that was a huge focus after last year. Get the right people in, create a better environment for those guys to come in and make them feel like Crows players. All the AFL guys were there too and they made big efforts to get to those guys during the breaks.

I know the injury list is low but the side play with more intent and purpose.... MOST of the time. We stuffed around with handball in the first half, copped a spray and came out all guns blazing.

He’s certainly making it hard for selectors to overlook him.

High pressure on the peripheral players in the 1’s now, which is how it should be.

He's the best tackler I've seen in years. An unforgotten talent, the ole tackle.

I guess it's made null and void when the holding the ball rule has been made redundant as well. But either way, Ned is a star.

One huge thing that's seemingly changed with the SANFL side is the inclusion and selection of our top ups. They have equal voice and responsibilities as the senior guys. Had a quick chat to Radar pre game and he said that was a huge focus after last year. Get the right people in, create a better environment for those guys to come in and make them feel like Crows players. All the AFL guys were there too and they made big efforts to get to those guys during the breaks.

I know the injury list is low but the side play with more intent and purpose.... MOST of the time. We stuffed around with handball in the first half, copped a spray and came out all guns blazing.

So in short - Improve the environment /culture and you improve? Who would've thought.. we are such slow learners at AFC.

He’s certainly making it hard for selectors to overlook him.

High pressure on the peripheral players in the 1’s now, which is how it should be.
Was interesting listening to the Norwood coaching staff, their focus wasn't on Wilson, it was on the 2 kids ripping them to pieces.

So the reserves are putting out 1 half a game, nobody can get near. And one half where we would struggle to beat North with them having 17 players.

Is this because we only try for one half and use the other to develop players?

Would be interesting to see who plays where in those bad half's compared to the good half's. A stat breakdown as well.

I take the way the reserves are playing, as a sign the seniors are in good shape. The reserves will clean up, when sauce rucks, Gibbs in the middle, when seedsman, milers, brown return to the firsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back