Review Pies cause a blackout! (Pies 108-69 Port)

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Polite question, guys.

Is Pendlebury better than Buckley? Both great - both killed us a few times (many, actually - including just a few weeks ago). Both won multiple B&Fs.

Pendlebury is such a marvel to watch. Buckley was more your traditional power midfielder.

Interested to know how you guys, who know them better than I do, rate them.

(My uneducated opinion - I would choose Pendlebury. Mostly because I like watching him play).

toughy

Debutant
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Are there any?
Starting to think JDG should adopt the Steve J goal kicking snap around the corner for set shots.
Good solid win from the boys just missed some of the icing and that first quarter just beautiful to watch, we’re starting to work into the season nicely and want to be hitting our best at the business end just keep banking the wins.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well a 39 point win is not to be sneezed at with an opponent on the surge in this early part of the season so I'll take it and run.

Someone needs to work on Degoo's goal kicking, he is so much better than he's showing at present.

The forward line functioned well all night as a unit but poor finishing cost us a significant percentage boost.

As some have said the encouraging thing at present is we are winning whilst playing inconsistent footy. It's the best time of year for it and a gradual settling down over the mid part of the year for the run into the finals at full throttle.

Our ability to shift forward players around and unsettle opposition back lines with players that are quick, talented and versatile may be a bigger point of difference than our 'world beating' midfield *cough, cough*.

Back line is looking good so really it's a matter of steady as she goes with the upcoming return to fitness of a number of players making competition for spots in the best 22 stronger than it has been for years.

Great way to start a weekend.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
That first quarter was scintillating. And the bounce back after Port had it on their terms in the 2nd quarter was also great to see.

Our defence has been so good recently, just need to sort the goalkicking out now

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
That first quarter....just Wow!!

I'll say it again, Stevo deep forward is a weapon
Pendlebury in AA form (and maybe Brownlow form)
Reid...now that's the Reidy I remember from 2010 and 2011

We have several perfect combinations
* Crisp Moore Langdon
* Stephenson DeGoey Elliott
* Grundy Pendlebury Treloar

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Polite question, guys.

Is Pendlebury better than Buckley? Both great - both killed us a few times (many, actually - including just a few weeks ago). Both won multiple B&Fs.

Pendlebury is such a marvel to watch. Buckley was more your traditional power midfielder.

(My uneducated opinion - I would choose Pendlebury. Mostly because I like watching him play).
Overall in a battle of two sublime elite talents, Nathan Buckley is the better player.
As good a long kick passer as the game has produced.
Hence Buckley is a better kick.
Also kicks more goals.
Just more dynamic.

That said Pendlebury looks more silky and finds room like few before him.

But Buckley over Pendlebury overall.

Moore and Elliott really have made us better. Knew they would of course, but it was always a slight concern as to how they would stand up physcially (after their awful 2018) and fit into the winning structure of last year. Elliott has taken a little longer than Moore, but he's well and truly back now.

Moore is just scintillating. You can see that he's enjoying himself, which when combined with his athleticism, speed, strength, reading of the play - its all coming together beautifully for him and us.

Only round 7 but the ducks are starting to line up.

toughy

Debutant
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Are there any?
Polite question, guys.

I can’t split them both elite and champions of the game, they have very different strengths which makes it hard to compare them in a head to head.
Bucks was one of the best and powerful kicks I’ve seen also remember him kicking a bag of 6 one game unstoppable when on.
Pendlebury a freak in traffic with his ability to find time and space where there is none, clone them and you have the perfect player. Bucks has elevated himself as a person since hanging up the boots and represents our club with dignity, compassion and leadership qualities I think Pendlebury has in spades.
If I had to choose one Pendlebury just because I think players would value a premiership over a Brownlow.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Good win, very good first quarter. Darcy as a key back <3 awesome. Pendles being Pendles is such a delight to watch. Good to see Reidy back and playing some good footy as well.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can’t split them both elite and champions of the game, they have very different strengths which makes it hard to compare them in a head to head.
Bucks was one of the best and powerful kicks I’ve seen also remember him kicking a bag of 6 one game unstoppable when on.
Pendlebury a freak in traffic with his ability to find time and space where there is none, clone them and you have the perfect player. Bucks has elevated himself as a person since hanging up the boots and represents our club with dignity, compassion and leadership qualities I think Pendlebury has in spades.
If I had to choose one Pendlebury just because I think players would value a premiership over a Brownlow.
Pendlebury had a decent team around him winning that flag, Buckey had a slow motion train wreck of a team most of the time and almost single handedly dragged us over the line for a flag.

Premierships are NOT the yardstick many think they are for a player's true worth.

Bob Skilton - triple charlie winner

Haiden Bunton - triple Sandover and charlie winner

Both played stellar careers in teams that weren't world beaters.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Moore and Elliott really have made us better. Knew they would of course, but it was always a slight concern as to how they would stand up physcially (after their awful 2018) and fit into the winning structure of last year. Elliott has taken a little longer than Moore, but he's well and truly back now.

Moore is just scintillating. You can see that he's enjoying himself, which when combined with his athleticism, speed, strength, reading of the play - its all coming together beautifully for him and us.

Spot on Vick, those 2 are such important ‘bookends’ for our team. I love it.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood

Spot on VP

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

If last season we had those two in this health and playing level....

Sigh.....

I long thought, and posted last season that Elliott missing, was our biggest pain point.
He is such a difference maker. Elite to position. And applies pressure. Excellent finisher and wonderful in the air.

Moore? Just let him live and dominate from CHB. Runs at the ball, holds the whole thing together and creates for our push upfield.

After the first few weeks with Elliott and DeGoey deep and Stephenson high we seem to have got the balance right now by switching Elliott and Stephenson. Elliott's marking is much stronger and he provides a terrific link option whereas Stephenson's pace is a nice point of difference in the forward line.

toughy

Debutant
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Are there any?
Pendlebury had a decent team around him winning that flag, Buckey had a slow motion train wreck of a team most of the time and almost single handedly dragged us over the line for a flag.

Premierships are NOT the yardstick many think they are for a player's true worth.

Bob Skilton - triple charlie winner

Haiden Bunton - triple Sandover and charlie winner

Both played stellar careers in teams that weren't world beaters.
Agree premierships aren’t the yardstick of a players individual career but when splitting hairs on a pvp think they carry weight, would be happy to go to battle with either on pure ball use bucks gets the nod but as a team player not so sure

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
Overall in a battle of two sublime elite talents, Nathan Buckley is the better player.
As good a long kick passer as the game has produced.
Hence Buckley is a better kick.
Also kicks more goals.
Just more dynamic.

That said Pendlebury looks more silky and finds room like few before him.

But Buckley over Pendlebury overall.

I like your conviction, I think when pendles retires and we look back on it he will just nudge out Buckley as our greatest ever.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree premierships aren’t the yardstick of a players individual career but when splitting hairs on a pvp think they carry weight, would be happy to go to battle with either on pure ball use bucks gets the nod but as a team player not so sure
I hear you, Buckley much more a creator than an assist type player. Always tended to take the load on his shoulders instead of enabling his team mates.

Although with the scrap metal junkyard of a team around him at times I can understand that.

He's certainly a much more inclusive and enabling person since the review which we all should welcome and applaud.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I like your conviction, I think when pendles retires and we look back on it he will just nudge out Buckley as our greatest ever.
Don’t quite see it that way.

But we are comparing fine shades of white.

Elite is elite is elite.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t quite see it that way.

But we are comparing fine shades of white.

Elite is elite is elite.

Oh if I had to venture the five best players I’ve seen they are both in that group.

Len Thompson
Phil Carman
Peter Daicos
Nathan Buckley
Scott Pendlebury

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
In time who knows Brodie Grundy and Jordan De Goey might give it a shake.

good4footy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Ham
Polite question, guys.

As midfielders I would go Pendles. As overall players Bucks.

Although seen as a midfielder Bucks was capable of playing CHB on Carey and beating him or go to full foward and kick 6 golas in just over a half against Brisbane. He was a jet and is severly underated by the footy community because of their dislike for him as a player.

Back