Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

You could tell something was off post north games with wines. Asked about the fadeout in the last quarter our own captain who is the example and should be setting the standard says "meh we s**t ourselves under any pressure but oh well we got the 4 points". Do you really think that Tredders or Dom or Boaky would say that no fking way

There's a lot to unpack out of that game. Most of it involves the confirmation of things we already knew that were laid bare once again against top quality opposition in a high pressure game.

That start was always on the cards. Coming off a couple of confidence boosting wins, the media talking us up a bit, playing against a big Melbourne club at Marvel. We've seen it before, we'll see it again. We simply choked under the pressure of the occasion. There's a very good reason our club's reputation in this league is as chokers and we saw why again tonight. The higher the level of pressure and expectation, the worse the performance. We looked completely shell shocked, as though we had rocked up to the stadium expecting to watch a concert and a football game broke out. Our midfield was obliterated in Q1 and our defence collapsed like a house of cards under the pressure. It was just ugly, plain and simple.

Once we got Q1 out of the system, suitably lowering the expectations for the rest of the night, we started to edge our way back into the game. Our effort was, with a few notable exceptions, pretty good from Q2 onward. But the game was already cooked by then. Our midfield was probably able to win the battle after quarter time. The forward line was a shambles though. It's incredible how hard we make forward play seem. We even made Darcy Moore look like Alex Rance, constantly kicking it to his advantage all night. Our forward line is based around forward pressure, which is an incredibly negative mindset which promotes winning the ball back from the defenders as the way to scoring goals when the easier way is just to never let them get the ball in the first place. Guys like De Goey, Stephenson and Elliott used this tactic to good effect at the other end of the ground.

Overall, a poor performance. There's a reason this team has no trust or credibility and it's performances like the one we dished up in Q1 tonight. It's always one step forward, one step back with this team. It's been that way since 2014. We can't go more than a few weeks without some shitty display that breaches all faith in whatever it is we're trying to do. Disappointing but not surprising.

Players:

Powell-Pepper - All heart but just so, so ineffective. He tends to play poorly in our defeats because he just tries too hard when the game starts to slip away. Too many fumbles, too many shanked kicks, too many times getting caught in possession.

Burton - One of his better games for the season. Was solid whilst most of the defence was losing its mind.

Ryder - Not much early playing mainly as a forward. Big second half in the ruck.

Ebert - Did nothing and then got injured.

Boak - Gave it his all but didn't have many teammates helping him out. One of our best again.

Rockliff - Anonymous early when we were getting reamed. Average after that.

Marshall - This guy is beginning to frustrate me a bit. Gets in good positions but then finds a way to stuff it up. Needs to be stronger in the contest at times too.

Amon - His game was sort of a weird reversal of the team's. Started OK but then did nothing after that. Weird game.

Wines - Deplorable. Utterly deplorable. For a captain to play such an insipid, weak game of football in a game like that is just not good enough. He knew it too.

Clurey - Emblematic of the team tonight. Being talked up as an AA defender and then puts in a performance that would've made for a good imitation of a carbon rod. Very poor.

Butters - Well out matched by the strength and experience of Collingwood but still competed and did a few nice things.

Rozee - This won't be a popular comment but I think this guy needs to stop trying to be the hero and start doing the basics a bit better. Multiple times he came flying across and spoiled a teammates marking chance. Multiple times he didn't give the first option and ended up turning the football over. We know he's got talent. But you need more than talent to be a good player at AFL level. A lot to work on from a coaching perspective out of tonight for him.

Duursma - Worked hard as per usual. Wasn't all that involved but most of what he did was good I thought.

Bonner - Disgraceful performance. Just disgraceful. Haven't seen a player dog so many contests in a Port jumper since Nathan Lonie. There's way too many competitors for such an easy position to put in a performance like that. I'd consider not playing him again.

Drew - Surprised he only had it 12 times because he seemed to be in a lot. Thought he was decent.

Lycett - Monstered by Grundy. Don't know if it was payback for the grand final but he was just nowhere in that first quarter. Basically moved out of the ruck after that because he was so putrid. Needs to be way better than that.

Howard - His start was appalling. He got better as the game progressed but the horse had bolted.

Byrne-Jones - As with Howard, started poorly, improved, too little too late.

Westhoff - Poor finishing but one of our best. Don't know what all the criticism in the match day thread was about.

Lienert - I've got no idea what this guy's AFL traits are. Just so vanilla.

Houston - Our best defender by a mile as per usual.

Gray - Admittedly a hard game for him to get into but he was practically anonymous all the same.
Agree regarding Rozee, too clever by half at times last night instead of going the first option. There was a moment on half forward last night where he shrugged off a pack then weighed up 3 options i50 before finally kicking to a contest. Not a slight on the kid as perhaps he is just too next level on the field, maybe just needs to bring his game down to the level of the plebs around him for now.

Last night was a letdown in many ways. Q1 we were outcoached plain and simple. After that we were able to make up some headway however any time we got close enough to look threatening or built up the play we would just s**t ourselves around goal or concede a quick goal out the back. Any notion about breaking even after quarter time is a copout, we had our chances to win plain and simple and blew every one of them with our inefficiency and poor skills.

Westy was looking like he was going to pull off something supernatural at times in Q2 last night however it turned out he couldn't even do the simple twice when needed. Should be feeling sorry for himself today and needs to start kicking them.

Wines wtf mate. Melbourne girls wouldn't have been impressed by that effort they like a winner, the fact he can't handball due to his shoulder speaks volumes about his maturity, mindset and capability to lead the side. Should hand his share of the captaincy back to Boak.

Overall very disappointing. At least C'Wood got the win for the kid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Everyone has said their piece on Wines so no point piling on. Bonner is soft as ****, every 50/50 ground ball he loses because he's afraid of contact or doesn't beeline the ball. Should've been dropped after the WCE games.

When Burton was lining up for goal, I'm sure everyone knew it was going in. Only other player you can say the same for is Houston, our best set shots are in defence FFS.

I don’t think it’s an overstatement to suggest that not only did we appoint the wrong coach, but we have have appointed the wrong captain too.

Wines probably deserves another chance, but I maintain that I’d prefer see Drew and SPP develop in his role.

If you were meh against West Coast then I'm not sure how you'll ever be pleased really. They were 3-1 at that point and had beaten Collingwood in Melbourne.
I was meh before the WCE game, not after. That’s my point. I went in expecting nothing and was pleasantly surprised. Hopes were high for this one and extinguished after 20 min

For those that think Westhoff played well. Imagine those easy set shot misses were kick ins from defence that hit an opponent on the tit. Would you be as lenient in your assessment?

Westhoff was ******* terrible. Only did good things in the last when the game was totally shot.

Just look at Wines' first quarter. I think this would have to be the worst first quarter of a game by a club captain ever. Shocking.

Yikes. I only saw from Q2 onwards and he was horrific. Q1 must have really been something.

The only long term positive that I can take from this game going forward the rest of the season is that Hinkley was able to acknowledge in the post game presser that we should have lost by more. Contrast that with last week's piss poor final 10 minutes where we nearly blew the game away, where Hinkley labelled it a strong performance making excuses for the late fade out. At least he's not oblivious to the situation today.

Dare I say given his past history I was half expecting him to say "well we won the scoreboard over the last 3 quarters just need to get our start right."

Not a glowing endorsement by any means, but I hope this can aft as some sort of anchor point going forward for the rest of the year.

Marshall was beaten by a better opponent but showed more than enough glimpses for a 15 gamer. Absolutely must play every game from here.

The elephant in the room up forward is the alarming lack of presence and impact being provided by both Ryder and Lycett when they're playing forward. Can't remember a genuine contested mark between them all season to be honest! They both had opportunities to hit the scoreboard early last night and butchered it.

Time for Frampton to come in and provide a contested marking presence up forward until Dixon is back.

Also, just get Ollie's shoulder done properly now so he can get a full preseason in for next year. We're just wasting his season a la Rockliff last year. We have depth in his position so there is no need to have him playing under duress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall was beaten by a better opponent but showed more than enough glimpses for a 15 gamer. Absolutely must play every game from here.

The elephant in the room up forward is the alarming lack of presence and impact being provided by both Ryder and Lycett when they're playing forward. Can't remember a genuine contested mark between them all season to be honest! They both had opportunities to hit the scoreboard early last night and butchered it.

Time for Frampton to come in and provide a contested marking presence up forward until Dixon is back.

Also, just get Ollie's shoulder done properly now so he can get a full preseason in for next year. We're just wasting his season a la Rockliff last year. We have depth in his position so there is no need to have him playing under duress.
A lot of good sense here

Reading this thread it becomes obvious from many comments that the club strategy to lower expectations has been an outstanding success. Only a year ago many in the football world felt we had a top 4 list. We did. We failed miserably due to a few factors namely atrocious coaching (game plan) injuries (Ryder +) and our well known inability to handle any type of high expectation. Solution? Turn over the list and play the kids, have fun. Reduce expectation and create an excuse for failure. This club has lost its way big time. We no longer exist to win premierships, we exist to avoid expectation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this club will never achieve anything with Hinkley in charge, I'm sorry but the guy is a loser.

On HTC Desire 650 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He came in to do these changes, but it is not his idea. He is an employee of the club.

And to make it better Ken stands by his ever so prominent stubborness by saying in his preaser we dont believe first year players dont need breaks.

Look at the true leading contenders this year who blooded the same age talent as us in the first few rounds geelong. Rested Constable and Atkins at somestage for longevity and Myers will most likely get a rest at somestage too. A true professional club that takes care of their young blokes

Were just a s**t show at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back