Review Pies cause a blackout! (Pies 108-69 Port)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Pendlebury snags a brownlow or premiership captain / norm smith medalist double will that sway you?
It’s not like cut and dried.
Everything he does here on will matter.
Ofcourse.

As a rule the awards that come along, Brownlow, Premiership help mount the case but they can’t be definitive.

It’s the body of play. It’s the vibe, it’s Mabo, it’s all of it.

I love Pendlebury and have constantly stated he cuts up opponents 1,000 different ways.
I laud his captaincy when others have poked holes.

Both brilliant elite players.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lost clearances and tackles but didn't seem to matter.

View attachment 667046

Look out. Someone might create a thread about our midfield being in trouble because we lost the clearances. Can be a very misleading stat because a handball to an opposition player counts as a clearance. Maybe need a new stat - clearances to advantage or non-Clanger clearances.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
As midfielders I would go Pendles. As overall players Bucks.

Although seen as a midfielder Bucks was capable of playing CHB on Carey and beating him or go to full foward half and kick 6 golas in just over a half against Brisbane. He was a jet and is severly underated by the footy community because of their dislike for him as a player.

And he played for Collingwood.

If he was a Hawthorn player the media would be calling him greater than great.

Collingwood seems to judged a bit more harshly eg Daicos. He was such a mega elite player far far far better than Cyril Rioli (who was a super star) and even better than that over Eddie Betts (not in either of Cyril or Daicos’ stratosphere).

My little rant over.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would be an interesting speculation what a bit more accuracy in finishing would have done to the scoreboard.

Using the Leigh Matthews template the number of shots tends to be a very good guide to the level of dominance.

We had 14 scoring shots (5 - 9) more which officially translated to 39 points.

Going a 50/50 split the margin would have been 49 points.

A more respectable split of 10 - 4 we’re looking at 64 points.

And so on.

Ofcourse a point that would be a goal (eg the simple De Goey miss) would change the game as was played as the ball would go to the centre, not stay back.
But it’s a theory based thinking anyway. For fun.

Polite question, guys.

Is Pendlebury better than Buckley? Both great - both killed us a few times (many, actually - including just a few weeks ago). Both won multiple B&Fs.

Pendlebury is such a marvel to watch. Buckley was more your traditional power midfielder.

Interested to know how you guys, who know them better than I do, rate them.

(My uneducated opinion - I would choose Pendlebury. Mostly because I like watching him play).
For me it’s Buckley. He dominated the competition along with Voss and Hird in a stronger way than Pendles ever has. We are splitting champions but Bucks for mine is Colllingwood GOAT.

Pendles and Swanny is the better comparison and I have Swanny just ahead because his best was more dominant and he kicked more goals. On that score Bucks is better than either of them also. Bucks was the most damaging mid of the 3 them Swanny then Pendles

For me it’s Buckley. He dominated the competition along with Voss and Hird in a stronger way than Pendles ever has. We are splitting champions but Bucks for mine is Colllingwood GOAT.

Pendles and Swanny is the better comparison and I have Swanny just ahead because his best was more dominant and he kicked more goals. On that score Bucks is better than either of them also. Bucks was the most damaging mid of the 3 them Swanny then Pendles
Pendles probably the most joyful to watch. The time stand still ability is mesmerising

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

I agree on Buckley.

But not Swan over Pendlebury. Scott far longer and far more elite and A grade, from all but the beginning of his career to now. Dane was a slow starter. Great player ofcourse and curtailed by that horrible foot injury but for depth of career Scott for me.

I’d also suggest Scott was the better skilled and did more of the mercurial in traffic.
But we are splitting hairs.

Have you got a top 5 or 10 players you’ve seen of our players?

Last edited:

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brown did his job. Plays hard and has great evasive ability. Gotta keep him in the side to keep building.
JT needs to lift and should come under pressure and Obi Wan Degoey does what Degoey does but he needs to compose him self a bit more. Making too many lazy mistakes.

Great win
Give wills a run

golazo

Premium Gold
Oct 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
Could've been an absolute bloodbath if we kicked at least semi-straight. 18 behinds, plus a few out on the full.

Dominating and missing chances cost us against the cats and almost cost us against the bombers - so we've got something to work on there

In a way, I'm happy we didn't demolish them, because knowing us, we'd be drinking our bathwater after an 80 point win only to get rolled over by a minnow the next week (Carlton).

And another thing...how good is it going to the footy and expecting to win? Supporting a good side again? Going to games during the dark years of 2014-17, and maintaining the faith - it was hard work.

Even though its round 7, and there's a lot to play out for season 2019, the club is still to be congratulated for getting us back to this position. We absolutely pummeled PA for three quarters last night; we just didnt do enough on the scoreboard to really bury them.

We are playing skillful and exciting footy, with top notch footballers all over the ground. So good to watch.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Pendlebury is a champion, but Buckley was on a different level. 100% agree, amazing how quickly some forget.

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
The frenetic pace in terms of hitting the contest, spread and handballs of the first quarter set us up (no s**t) however it's unsustainable for a whole game. Locking down defensively over the whole ground needs to happen for longer periods to stop an opposition reducing a large margin by 5 goals in a single quarter. Bad kicking is bad footy and so is allowing an opposition a run of goals and giving them a sniff.
Fast footy is great to watch however I'd like to see a bit more variety when it's called for. Although we got out to a 40+ lead, I didn't expect the margin to blow out to 10 goals.
Did anybody else think that Port wasn't that bad in the first quarter.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
Reid was great.

The thing with Cox is that he can take a big mark down the line when needed and is a better relief ruckman.

Things went well for us last night, can Reid be relied upon when we are having an average day?

Roughy/Darcy are teaming well, but is there space for Reid to be a back up KPD?

Polite question, guys.

Is Pendlebury better than Buckley? Both great - both killed us a few times (many, actually - including just a few weeks ago). Both won multiple B&Fs.

Pendlebury is such a marvel to watch. Buckley was more your traditional power midfielder.

Curiously, Mick Malthouse has asked the same question last night on the ABC radio coverage.

Guess what his answer was?

Doug Hawkins (Yep, I kid you not)

He then prattled on about a bunch of other players from the 20th century.

But when he was pressed about Collingwood, out of Pendlebury and Buckley who do you think he picked?

Dane Swan (Yep, I kid you not)

With Steele Sidebottom being the most consistent over a long term.

He reckons Buckley was a great player but was compromised because of the hamstrings. And Pendlebury has had a good patch of around 4 years.

Cantankerous git

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lycett has risen to my most hated player after last night. He tagged Grundy. The amount of dirty punches and constant niggled directed to Grundy. Really annoyed me.
Disappointed the boys didn’t stand up for Grundy.
Grundy got the chocolates, but he’ll be an extremely sore boy.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Curiously, Mick Malthouse has asked the same question last night on the ABC radio coverage.

Guess what his answer was?

Doug Hawkins (Yep, I kid you not)

He then prattled on about a bunch of other players from the 20th century.

But when he was pressed about Collingwood, out of Pendlebury and Buckley who do you think he picked?

Dane Swan (Yep, I kid you not)

With Steele Sidebottom being the most consistent over a long term.

He reckons Buckley was a great player but was compromised because of the hamstrings. And Pendlebury has had a good patch of around 4 years.

Cantankerous git
Buckley is the greatest Collingwood player to ever set foot on a football arena.

Malthouse is the most bitter, twisted campaigner you'll ever meet.

Love giving the pies supporters grief as much as they probably love giving back to a tiger like me but just wanted to say how great Your club was with the young bloke Kyron

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Phillips 26 wing
Pendlebury 24 (2w)
Sidebottom 24 (17w, 7i)
Beams 22
Treloar 21
Adams (inj) 13
WHE 13 wing
de Goey 2

Rucks:

Grundy 25
Reid 2