Strategy List Management 101

Remove this Banner Ad

What list management strategy should Sydney adopt without the COLA.
I like this, but lets change it to what list management strategy options are available to Sydney without the COLA? What could we do rather than what should we do? And you could provide your ratings and reasons for them on the options. Can't imagine there'd be more than two or three...

I'm nor sure how doable it is without having access to publicly published salaries, but I'd be interested to find out more about potential ways to "min-max" using the ability to pay 95% of the cap one year, and move the 5% onto the following year. Do teams intentionally plan peak and trough salary years? Has it been successful?

Also, I'm interested in learning how Sydney has adapted to our new diet cola which lets players on the minimum get paid more. How has it impacted our list composition? What are we trying to achieve? Is it working?

Maybe a case study into recent rebuilds? Including the ones that succeed in getting the team back into contention vs the ones that face plant.
I'm torn on this one because while I don't believe in rebuilds as a concept, I think it would be an interesting topic to look at how teams make good and bad decisions.

Just in a few minutes throwing this idea around in my head, the teams I thought of have had success and failure almost entirely determined by how well they followed my rules in episode 1 (and some of the others).

Since I don't believe in rebuilds, what teams are you classifying as ones to look at?

Do you consider a consistent finals team who played e.g. Geelong (not in finals in 2015) or Hawthorn (not in finals 2017) as having "rebuild" in those years?

Do you consider a consistent finals team who played e.g. Geelong (not in finals in 2015) or Hawthorn (not in finals 2017) as having "rebuild" in those years?
As I said above, I don't believe in the concept of a rebuild.

Each year every team takes players in the draft, and every team has older players move on. The only difference seems to be that some of those teams are shitter than others, so they get high draft picks. This is sometimes combined with trading out players for draft picks (again, something most teams do every year)

I'm torn on this one because while I don't believe in rebuilds as a concept, I think it would be an interesting topic to look at how teams make good and bad decisions.

Just in a few minutes throwing this idea around in my head, the teams I thought of have had success and failure almost entirely determined by how well they followed my rules in episode 1 (and some of the others).

Since I don't believe in rebuilds, what teams are you classifying as ones to look at?
Perhaps a comparison between the list management strategies of Collingwood vs Carlton who have both drastically turned over their lists in a few years

One team that came 12th, 12th and 13th between 2015-17 has built a list that jumped to the grand final in 2018 while the other in the same time frame as remained perennially insipid.

Perhaps a comparison between the list management strategies of Collingwood vs Carlton who have both drastically turned over their lists in a few years

One team that came 12th, 12th and 13th between 2015-17 has built a list that jumped to the grand final in 2018 while the other in the same time frame as remained perennially insipid.
Simple answer Steve Silvagni.

whats a realistic amount of list turnover you could do in one offseason

i think you could run a line through 12 or so on our list easy
You should dispose of everyone who will not be an above average AFL player. Basic probability says there are at least 25, 12 would be a more realistic goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ignoring the rookie list then i think we need delist/trade

yes
Ryan Clarke
robbie fox (26 wont make it)
heath grundy
kieran jack
jarrad mcveigh
COR
Sam Reid
nick smith

maybe
darcy cameron
matthew ling if he cant get on park
jack maibum
daniel menzel
Ben ronke

Should you give an in form reserves player a game if they have failed at afl level and likely for the chop end of year
If you are going to chop them they have no list management value, so no.

But this isn't really a list management question, if they are one of your best 22 fit players, you would pick them. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that someone fills both categories of "delist because he won't become an above average AFL player" and "currently best 22"

If you are going to chop them they have no list management value, so no.

But this isn't really a list management question, if they are one of your best 22 fit players, you would pick them. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that someone fills both categories of "delist because he won't become an above average AFL player" and "currently best 22"

How about Rose?

How about Rose?

I have not been a fan but now feel a bit for Rose.

I do not think there is another player on our list who has worked as hard on their deficiencies. He has put on size, now runs both ways and has become a proficient and enthusiastic tackler.

He has not lost his natural talent. I expect on pure talent assessments he would rank in the the top 25% on the List.

I doubt he will get a game in the seniors this year and what keeps him going is natural competitiveness and the hope he may get a trade to or be rookied by another Club.

We have to pass List Management 101 first, before we can enrol in List Management 201!

its part of the hidden threads for experts on the swans board, just a few of us currently :p

Where's List Management 201 ?
I grant people manual access to the thread once they graduate from 101, there are 4 of us on there at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back