Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

What would really help is a cathartic Rick, Portia and Macca review podcast. I miss those almost as much as I miss my team.

Next year we’ll be back mate

Sorry people, but I didn’t even watch it. I was playing Mortal Kombat 11 at a friend’s house. I was keeping an eye on the scores though.

Why didn’t I watch it? Because I knew without Dixon we would lose. I knew if we didn’t have Hartlett and Broadbent in the side, we’d lose. I knew if we didn’t have Gray, we’d lose. If it was the MCG it might have been a different story, but Marvel is more like Adelaide Oval.

The only way we could have won is if everyone had great games and our defenders like Bonner and Byrne-Jones suddenly became great defenders instead of great pretenders. That’s why I said it was their time. Instead, they gave Collingwood their highest amount of forward half intercepts.

Bonner doesn’t have it. I already said he reminds me of Lonie. It makes me mad every time someone suggests putting him somewhere else on the field - you can’t hide softness.

Byrne-Jones is crap at anything resembling team defence. Great lockdown defender if all he has to do is tag them out of the game, but when it comes to helping others he’s poor. A typical +1 type player.

The reaction to such an obliteration will be the telling part. There has to be a price paid for that poor start. Bringing in Garner and Jonas for Byrne-Jones and Bonner would be a great start.

It might be premature but I would be so tempted to trade wines and rocky and build our team around a midfield of atley drew Matthew Rowell and Rozee

Wines disposal is amateur league level, because of which he will never be an A grader. Rocky is good at stoppages, but his lack of pace really hurts him.

The chance to trade Wines for Great picks was last year, could of got two first rounders, a top 5 and another mid first round pick. Don't think we'd get anything like that the way he is going this year.

God that game just leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Why couldn't we just have lost by 39 points after a 4 goal to 2 first quarter or something similar? Then we could've just said we were outmuscled and outclassed by a much better team. To get obliterated in Q1 and then go goal for goal against a cruising Collingwood from then on was just yuck. Such an uninspiring performance.
To be honest it was only goal for goal because they missed easy shots....

That was a 100 point loss.

There have been two games this year, Richmond and Collingwood, when we've had a surplus tall in defence and been crying out for a competitive tall forward.

Dougal Howard should have been shifted up forward both times.

I think we're all over-reacting. We were beaten but I think it was the hiding we needed. We were competitive when we tightened up the space we gave their mids which is the reason for missed tackles.
That team played finals and can play at a different intensity. That was great exposure and prepares us for the Showdown.

To be honest, last night was the first time I saw this team play a decent intensity against decent opposition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Words fail me. Indescribable performance. How can all 22 players all be so completely off their game for a full quarter. Not a single one even broke even. Boak and Hoff played exceptional last three quarters but the remainder were utter ***t all game. Mirrors that time when we were beaten by 150+ points two weeks running.

I think we're all over-reacting. We were beaten but I think it was the hiding we needed. We were competitive when we tightened up the space we gave their mids which is the reason for missed tackles.
That team played finals and can play at a different intensity. That was great exposure and prepares us for the Showdown.

To be honest, last night was the first time I saw this team play a decent intensity against decent opposition
Decent intensity? Maybe for a patch of 15-20 minutes....

Words fail me. Indescribable performance. How can all 22 players all be so completely off their game for a full quarter. Not a single one even broke even. Boak and Hoff played exceptional last three quarters but the remainder were utter ***t all game. Mirrors that time when we were beaten by 150+ points two weeks running.
I said this will happen during the week and people called me negative ect.. we have a habit of letting sides regardless of quality kick a string of goals against us unanswered. We have no plan B and ability to slow the game down . Comes down to leadership mostly and it's no surprise we have no leaders. Between the north game last week and that start of the Collingwood game we had 12 goals in a row kicked against us unanswered. Thats pathetic and it's exactly what I thought would happen.

So 2 weeks ago against West Coast wasn't decent intensity against decent opposition? Come on, man!

So 2 weeks ago against West Coast wasn't decent intensity against decent opposition? Come on, man!
West coast actually showed zero intensity for most of that game. They were off and we took advantage early in the wet. They're in trouble and wouldn't surprise me if they get between a bit at home this year. On a fast track we'll get slaughtered by good sides.

Making Ebert a forward seems as pointless as making Boak one in previous years they either play in their best positions or they don't play IMO.

Ebert actually put his hand up to go forward for some reason and the coaches went with it. Someone had to, we are too top heavy in the middle. I'd put wines forward before him especially if hes decided he's not going to go in hard with a dud shoulder.

Making Ebert a forward seems as pointless as making Boak one in previous years they either play in their best positions or they don't play IMO.

Ebert has been fine in that role. The issue is not having someone like Dixon in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back