Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Making Ebert a forward seems as pointless as making Boak one in previous years they either play in their best positions or they don't play IMO.

You mean our leading goal kicker Brad Ebert?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commiserations on the loss

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match (how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at bounces).

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Drew 26 (16w, 10i)
Wines 20 (1w)
Boak 20
Duursma 19 wing
Amon 18 (17w, 1i)
Rockliff 15
SPP 13
Westhoff 5 wing
Rozee 4
Ebert 3
S.Gray 2

Rucks:

Lycett 10
Ryder 19

1st Half - 15

Duursma 13 wing
Drew 12 (8w, 4i)
Boak 11
Rockliff 11
Wines 10 (1w)
Amon 9 (8w, 1i)
SPP 4
Rozee 2
Ebert 2
S.Gray 1

Lycett 8
Ryder 7

2nd Half - 14

Drew 14 (8w, 6i)
Wines 10
Boak 9
Amon 9 wing
SPP 9
Duursma 6 wing
Westhoff 5 wing
Rockliff 4
Rozee 2
Ebert 1
S.Gray 1

Ryder 12
Lycett 2

Notes:
- First inside start for Amon in analysed games
- Rockliff and SPP swapped roles in the last - Rocky only started at 1 bounce, whilst SPP had half his appearances (starting at 7 of the 9 bounces)
- Drew becomes the fourth different player to be your most frequently used player from 4 analysed games this season - Amon (Rd 1), Wines (Rd 5), Duursma (Rd 6)

I can’t shake the image of our ‘captain’ running into goal, 35 metres out, and launching a blind handball 20 metres to his left to the opposition.
And then in the last quarter, receiving the ball in the centre square with no opponent within 5m of him and then turning to the side and handballing to an opponent 15m behind him (ie towards their goal).

And to make it better Ken stands by his ever so prominent stubborness by saying in his preaser we dont believe first year players dont need breaks.

Look at the true leading contenders this year who blooded the same age talent as us in the first few rounds geelong. Rested Constable and Atkins at somestage for longevity and Myers will most likely get a rest at somestage too. A true professional club that takes care of their young blokes

Were just a **** show at the moment

Not true. The kids need time on the field. They can rest during the week. Take a day off training, reduce the mid week work load for a couple. Let them play. If they are sore, fair enough but don’t rest them unless necessary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our young lads are doing very well.
They came up a bloody good team.

Cut them some slack.

We got off to a slow start and that killed us. Otherwise we were "ok".

Wines on the other hand. Boy oh Boy. He's been horrible. With the ball and decision making.

Once again our footskills are horrendous.

But I'd like to see Amon out for Farrell.

Butters, who’s the main one really down on output, was firstly not a high possession player at U18 level - much like SPP. Secondly, he is very undersized. If the inside players (Rockliff, Wines, Drew) aren’t getting it done and the tall forwards are not having a presence, than Butters is going to struggle at this stage of his career. He doesn’t have the workrate of Duursma to compensate.

Last edited:
If I hear another bad word re Marshall I'm going to loose it.
The single tall forward bring doubled teamed and people wonder why he isn't kicking goals.
Let westy roam in the back lines / wing and bring in Frampton to take another tall and crash packs!

He was timid and pushed off the ball far too easily. Needs some support from a tall with mongrel - Big Bill.

Not saying he did, its just when a non forward is best hope to kick goals , it just shows a lack if any proper forward play

Of course but it doesn't mean that player isn't performing the role they've been given.

After Richnond beat the Hawks in the QF last year, I talked about The Tigers Perpetual Motion Machine and that I hoped our players and coaches were studying it and learning from it.

Tigers' players since 2017 have done what Geelong and Hawthorn players have done for a decade. You dont need to grab the ball. Knock it on, punch it on, pat it on, toe poke it, soccer it off the ground, soccer it on the volley before the ball hits the ground when the oppo is baring down on you and going to tackle you.

You can add throw the ball out of a pack and get away with that into the mix. Collingwood seems to have joined the Perpetual Motion Machine style of play. They did everything they could to just keep moving the ball in their big quarters last night.

Its why I'm impressed with Rozee, Butters and Duursma. They like toe poking, soccering, hitting, throwing the ball when they get the opportunity and know they are under pressure and probably going to get tackled. They know bending over and picking up the ball doesn't always need to happen.

What stood out in the packs last night is that we haven't mastered the art of a) knowing how to throw the ball out and get away from it, b) stop the oppo from moving at all costs often enough, how ever way, and c) the oppo seem to easily read what we are going to do in packs and pick off our disposal or block it and kill any advantage we would have gotten. I'm not sure how much you can train to improve on it, and how much is just natural, but we don't do it like the top sides of today do, and those of the last decade have done. That's where experience matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back