Toast Welcome Rory Lobb

Aug 6, 2018
Karratha or Windsor Hotel
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Yeah what we gave up for him I don’t think anyone could possibly call overs!??
-add to the fact he provides immediate competition for spots, thus depth which I think gets bit understated in terms of importance to the team in being able to play consistently week in week out.

Not a bad point actually , we do seem to assume they ll be locks.
Tho I think with Darcy it’s as much his structural importance than anything.

There’s actually very few “elite” rucks in the game today , lots of average ones and even more busts so even if he doesn’t become one of the leagues best I think we should be reasonably confident he ll at least be competent.
Darcy has been hampered by injury to the point where we have forgotten his promising form last year
He's Tapwork is first rate and pre season you could see he was working on his fitness and getting around the ground.

He will be BIG for us in tandem with Lobb

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Darcy has shown enough to expect that he will be better than ok. Has a good footy brain, a decent left foot and some physicality.

Cox has abundant talent, nice hands, footy smarts and is a good field kick. I'm just not sure where he fits into our structures. He could potentially take Tabs spot or become a key back but there's no way I'd drop Tabs for him at the moment. I don't see him as a like for like for McCarthy.

Pearce and Hamling are a great combination and Logue is surely in the mix to come back in.

It's pretty much on Cox to dominate the WAFL to the extent that we're forced to pick him. It's kind of rough on a guy that's done nothing wrong but it's the downside for players when you have some depth.

I think Darcy has shown enough to expect that he will be better than ok. Has a good footy brain, a decent left foot and some physicality.

Cox has abundant talent, nice hands, footy smarts and is a good field kick. I'm just not sure where he fits into our structures. He could potentially take Tabs spot or become a key back but there's no way I'd drop Tabs for him at the moment. I don't see him as a like for like for McCarthy.

Pearce and Hamling are a great combination and Logue is surely in the mix to come back in.

It's pretty much on Cox to dominate the WAFL to the extent that we're forced to pick him. It's kind of rough on a guy that's done nothing wrong but it's the downside for players when you have some depth.
Agreed, i dont think people realise how ahead of thr curve Darcy is, or, they've forgotten.

He was as good or better than Goldy in the first game (5 clearances is awesome) before he copped that corky which stuffed him for Witts (he was in doubt leading up to that game remember). He has since been kept out of the squad for structural reasons more than anything else. There are 3 tall forwards performing better than Lobb so they cant get him in there (im not as sold on Lobb as others, he has drawn even with English and Marshall at best imo which is an inditement).

I would argue that since playing WAFL, he has dominated the other rucks and is arguably the best ruck in the league, at 20...

Body permitting, Darcy will be an elite ruck for a long time at AFL level

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Think Cox could be a good 3rd tall defender too. Bit slow for 1st or 2nd but to just read in the air and intercept I think he could do very well.
This is one of the things we need to work out this season. I would much prefer a faster, more mobile 3rd tall, which is why I lean towards Logue.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would argue that since playing WAFL, he has dominated the other rucks and is arguably the best ruck in the league, at 20...

Body permitting, Darcy will be an elite ruck for a long time at AFL level

He's definitely shown more than most ruckman at being the kind of ruckman he is (the physical kind, very much like Mumford). The question is, is that really a type of player that is going to be considered useful in the AFL in the future? If you look at all the dominant rucks in the comp, they are all mobile rucks. They are putting in 15-25 possessions along with their ruck duties. I don't think Darcy is that type of player. He only averages around 10 disposals a game.

Lobb also suffers from this. He's not really linking up much at all when playing as a ruck. We got rid of the only real mobile type ruck we had in Zac Clarke.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's definitely shown more than most ruckman at being the kind of ruckman he is (the physical kind, very much like Mumford). The question is, is that really a type of player that is going to be considered useful in the AFL in the future? If you look at all the dominant rucks in the comp, they are all mobile rucks. They are putting in 15-25 possessions along with their ruck duties. I don't think Darcy is that type of player. He only averages around 10 disposals a game.

Lobb also suffers from this. He's not really linking up much at all when playing as a ruck. We got rid of the only real mobile type ruck we had in Zac Clarke.
Darcy is a 20yo ruckman coming from possibly the worst base I can remember a draftee having. Far to early too write him off as a type yet.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Darcy will be fine in a few years, just needs a base fitness which history shows big blokes take a while to get there. He has already shown he can handle the top level, Max Gawn himself said last year that Darcy surprised him with how accomplished he already is as a 20year old. His skills are already first rate and he reads the play and is usually hungry for the contest.

Lobb is a brilliant stop gap for the transition from Sandi-Darcy. He'll hopefully keep up his skills and remain b22 as IMHO we've been needing a player like Lobb since Longmuir.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Sandi was fit I reckon Lobb would be playing the forward/second ruck role he was recruited for. I suspect Darcy will come into the team later this year when he's built his fitness. He's is odds on to become our first ruck and in a year or two "suddenly" start dominating and the pundits will wonder where he came from.

In the meantime Lobb is doing a decent enough job. He's definite upgrade on either Jones or Meek and is allowing us not to be forced to play Darcy.

Big Flappy

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

This is the Lobb that we missed this season, was just too inconsistent.

You could make a highlight package of Lobb this year and it would look exactly the same. Unfortunately he hasn't done it consistently enough. That run up for goal though, not a stutter in sight.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
He went backwards a little this year. Last preseason was interrupted by that nasty shoulder injury. He seem to hit the ground running though then tapered off.

Strength and conditioning need to work on his core strength. He gets shifted very easily. Needs to work on his power more, and endurance less.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair to say the giant crustacean didn't deal with the covid-19 training restrictions too well. Really hope he gets back to 2019 form in 2021.

Back