Review Pies cause a blackout! (Pies 108-69 Port)

Polite question, guys.

Is Pendlebury better than Buckley? Both great - both killed us a few times (many, actually - including just a few weeks ago). Both won multiple B&Fs.

Pendlebury is such a marvel to watch. Buckley was more your traditional power midfielder.

Interested to know how you guys, who know them better than I do, rate them.

(My uneducated opinion - I would choose Pendlebury. Mostly because I like watching him play).
Can't split them. I'd also add Swan into the equation. Ball use was miles off, but his one on one work and first couple of steps and thus ability to burst from congestion were well above.

It’s not like cut and dried.
Everything he does here on will matter.
Ofcourse.

As a rule the awards that come along, Brownlow, Premiership help mount the case but they can’t be definitive.

It’s the body of play. It’s the vibe, it’s Mabo, it’s all of it.

I love Pendlebury and have constantly stated he cuts up opponents 1,000 different ways.
I laud his captaincy when others have poked holes.

Both brilliant elite players.
Don't forget his incredible durability which enables him to withstand your praise.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't forget his incredible durability which enables him to withstand your praise.
That’s true.
He is like lead to my cryptonite.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
GWS just outdid Collingwoods 7 goals 6 behinds with 8 goals 2 behinds against the saints.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Lycett has risen to my most hated player after last night. He tagged Grundy. The amount of dirty punches and constant niggled directed to Grundy. Really annoyed me.
Disappointed the boys didn’t stand up for Grundy.
Grundy got the chocolates, but he’ll be an extremely sore boy.

They tried to work Grundy over physically like they did with Gawn earlier in the year and Grundy was superb in the physical stakes.
Didn’t roll over or complain.
Fought through it and held his own brilliantly.

Last edited:
I’m curious Shpeshal Ed do you think that Max Lynch would have performed better than Reid did last night? Same to Vicky Park and Yidaki ?

Well, that is hard to say Apex. Given the experience difference between the two, probably not. I wasn't looking to see who would have performed better. I just wanted to see what Lynch produced.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buckley
Thompson
McKenna
Wayne Richardson
Greening
Carman
Daics
Swan
Pendles
Gavin Brown

No necessarily in order. Bar O’Dea Greening likely would be best ever. Tuddy can go in for Carmen if we count what he did but Carmen could have been anything except for the brain. This is off top of the head so have probably forgotten someone

Cute attempt at acting younger by not naming Bob Rose.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, that is hard to say Apex. Given the experience difference between the two, probably not. I wasn't looking to see who would have performed better. I just wanted to see what Lynch produced.
Do you think that’s an appropriate approach to take at this point given 2-8 were only separated by percentage at the start of the round? This was a fairly crucial game against a likely finals competitor.

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buckley
Thompson
McKenna
Wayne Richardson
Greening
Carman
Daics
Swan
Pendles
Gavin Brown

No necessarily in order. Bar O’Dea Greening likely would be best ever. Tuddy can go in for Carmen if we count what he did but Carmen could have been anything except for the brain. This is off top of the head so have probably forgotten someone
Millane prob deserves a mention in here

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
In order:

Carman
Greening
Buckley
Thompson
W Richardson
McKenna
Picken
Daicos
A Shaw
Tuddenham/Millane/Brown

Excitement machines:

Wearmouth
Barham

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tragically, he didn't do it for long enough. I'm a bit young for the guys who had shorter careers like Carmen and Greening, but they supposedly hit much higher peaks. Those he hit similar peaks to, did it for much much longer.
Best career I have seen at the Pies would have to be Daics Snr for brilliance, dedication to training and practice - but make no mistake whatsoever . . . . .

Greening had him covered in just about every aspect . . .

Given a half way decent run with injuries he would have been one of the early hall of famers . . .

A truly spectacular talent and athlete, well before his time.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Walked past the great man after the game last night.
Good to see ex players at games.
No, not the superbird, the white booted wonder, the man they called Carmanwood. It's like a supermodel or supercar sighting.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, not the superbird, the white booted wonder, the man they changed the clubs name to Carmanwood for. It's like a supermodel or supercar sighting.
Super dense more like it

Interviewed years after retirement he still see's nothing wrong with his indiscipline which cost us a flag.

Truly exceptional athlete and footballer . . .

EXCEPT . . .

Between the ears.

Phil playing well ? . . . Just give him s**t and he forgets all about the game.

FLOG.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Super dense more like it

Interviewed years after retirement he still see's nothing wrong with his indiscipline which cost us a flag.

Truly exceptional athlete and footballer . . .

EXCEPT . . .

Between the ears.

Phil playing well ? . . . Just give him **** and he forgets all about the game.

FLOG.
Yep saw him at a club night yonks ago and his face still lit up when talking about hitting guys, it was like he didn't care about his talent, just the argy bargy. He didn't have a single brain cell but I've never seen a better footballer.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm trying to keep a lid on but we are getting that 'stars everywhere' look about us that all premiership sides have. It's hard to pick a weakness and we have quality all over the park.

Our 2010 team didn’t have stars everywhere. Brown, possum, Blair, Caff, Wellingham, Dawes, Beams at the time, Goldy were hardly stars.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep saw him at a club night yonks ago and his face still lit up when talking about hitting guys, it was like he didn't care about his talent, just the argy bargy. He didn't have a single brain cell but I've never seen a better footballer.
No argument on his phenomenal talent and athleticism - such a shame the elevator didn't go all the way to the penthouse.

As for better footballers - only ever saw one better

this bloke . . .

Malthouse is far worse than a cantakerous git, but unfortunately he is going to keep wanking for as long as some media keep giving him airtime to wank.

Wet Toast pissed him off after he did nothing in his second five years there, after not achieving as much in his first five years there than that Wet Toast side should have achieved.

I have nothing good to say about Malthouse.

Curiously, Malthouse reckons we’re the only team in the frame for this year’s Premiership. He sees WC as having dropped back, and considers us to be much better than Geelong (hmmm, despite them beating us round 1!)

Millane prob deserves a mention in here
Not for mine. Pants not as good as any of that 10. Brown perhaps the only one you could argue but even that is clear Brown for me.

In order:

Carman
Greening
Buckley
Thompson
W Richardson
McKenna
Picken
Daicos
A Shaw
Tuddenham/Millane/Brown

Excitement machines:

Wearmouth
Barham

No Swan/Pendles. They are easily in for mine

Curiously, Malthouse reckons we’re the only team in the frame for this year’s Premiership. He sees WC as having dropped back, and considers us to be much better than Geelong (hmmm, despite them beating us round 1!)
I agree with him. God knows if GWS click and how much Essendon can improve - they're the two teams who I think have the potential to really challenge.

Back