Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley etc had their crack. Time to give the reins to someone else.
The reins can't be taken from Hinkley. We cannot afford to sack a coach who is contracted through the end of 2021.

He won't give them up, either. He will never land another head coaching gig. He will never make this much money again. What possible incentive does he have to leave?

He'll be our head coach at the end of the year, he'll probably be our head coach at the end of next year, and there's a decent chance he'll still be in charge halfway through 2021.

What agitates me is the coach saying there’s a big gap to close with collingwood. It’s your 7th season and into you’re secondnsquad rotation and we are still bridging gaps!

Rockliff is objectively one of the best inside contested possession and clearance winners in the league. It's not Rockliff's fault we traded away our entire outside midfield brigade last year. If it had been Wines who'd gone last year rather than Wingard (and let's remember that at the time we recruited Rockliff Wines was an out of contract Victorian and Wingard was a contracted South Australian, if I'd told you one of them wouldn't be on our list in 2019 nobody would've guessed it'd be Wingard) then he'd be exactly what we need, and our team would most likely look a lot better than it does now.

Yeah, by and large, we saw this Tom Rockliff in Brisbane. It’s good that he no longer resembles a shuffling husk who is completely cooked, but from a team perspective he’s doing us about as much good as he did Brisbane.

Whatever the impact of selling Polec and Wingard on his direct output, the game is moving forward and leaving the likes of he and Wines behind, which isn’t ideal given the money they’re on.

Slow, not terribly skilled, and monopolise touches without any real impact. Great for Fantasy, notsomuch real world.

What agitates me is the coach saying there’s a big gap to close with collingwood. It’s your 7th season and into you’re secondnsquad rotation and we are still bridging gaps!

Didn't he make the same comment re Richmond? The same Richmond we wiped the floor with five years ago? :rolleyes:

The worst part of that game is I am week 1 into a booze free month. Endured that game without any medicating
Rookie mistake. Never, I mean NEVER stop drinking during footy season with Port. We can only be endured with alcohol.

I honestly can't remember when i trusted Port Adelaide to play accountable footy and felt truly confident of a win. I panic now when we play sides like GC, Carlton and Norfs.

Wingard is on the verge of retirement. He is absolutely trash this year. We made the right decision there.

Completely agree. The way his body has "developed" over the last few years has taken away all of his athleticism. Reminds me of a stereotypical 90s football who was unfit and overweight but would get by on sheer ability alone. Can't do that in today's game. We absolutely won that trade by the length of the Flemington straight.

Sorry people, but I didn’t even watch it. I was playing Mortal Kombat 11 at a friend’s house. I was keeping an eye on the scores though.

Why didn’t I watch it? Because I knew without Dixon we would lose. I knew if we didn’t have Hartlett and Broadbent in the side, we’d lose. I knew if we didn’t have Gray, we’d lose. If it was the MCG it might have been a different story, but Marvel is more like Adelaide Oval.

The only way we could have won is if everyone had great games and our defenders like Bonner and Byrne-Jones suddenly became great defenders instead of great pretenders. That’s why I said it was their time. Instead, they gave Collingwood their highest amount of forward half intercepts.

Bonner doesn’t have it. I already said he reminds me of Lonie. It makes me mad every time someone suggests putting him somewhere else on the field - you can’t hide softness.

Byrne-Jones is crap at anything resembling team defence. Great lockdown defender if all he has to do is tag them out of the game, but when it comes to helping others he’s poor. A typical +1 type player.

The reaction to such an obliteration will be the telling part. There has to be a price paid for that poor start. Bringing in Garner and Jonas for Byrne-Jones and Bonner would be a great start.
Fair weather much?

I am so very tired of your "I knew or I told you so" attitude. You remind me of a 6 year old. "I didn't want to play with you anyway" attitude - when the 6 year old has been told they are not allowed to play with them. Grow a pair and accept you have been overly vocal backing the wrong horse in Hinkley and your individual player blaming has worn thin.

I also note that Wines and Hoff did not get a mention by you for the putrid output last night why?

Hinkley allowing the game to continue along the same vein without any tweaking or changes also got no scrutiny. Why is that?

But then you just flippantly say oh well i knew we would lose, so i played marbles with my friend.

Don't ever question another Port member or supporter about their commitment ever again because my friend you behave like a 6 year old and as such your thoughts have no weight or right to comment here.

Fair weather much?

I am so very tired of your "I knew or I told you so" attitude. You remind me of a 6 year old. "I didn't want to play with you anyway" attitude - when the 6 year old has been told they are not allowed to play with them. Grow a pair and accept you have been overly vocal backing the wrong horse in Hinkley and your individual player blaming has worn thin.

I also note that Wines and Hoff did not get a mention by you for the putrid output last night why?

Hinkley allowing the game to continue along the same vein without any tweaking or changes also got no scrutiny. Why is that?

But then you just flippantly say oh well i knew we would lose, so i played marbles with my friend.

Don't ever question another Port member or supporter about their commitment ever again because my friend you behave like a 6 year old and as such your thoughts have no weight or right to comment here.

I blame Ken for his s**t selection policy and inability to understand what is required on smaller grounds.

Why would I watch a game that was just going to make me upset? Sometimes the best strategy is not to play.

That’s called “knowing when it’s a lost cause”. It was never going to work without Dixon or a player of his contested marking caliber, and I said weeks ago that we needed him for Collingwood.

I have my own opinions on what will and will not work in football. I’ve got better things to do then get upset about something I a) can’t control and b) don’t believe in the strategy of.

I am pleased to see Ken is finally getting some heat from you. He needs much more though. When you criticise certain players remember who has final say about selections and where they play.

Oh I blame Ken completely for the loss. It was the antithesis of the West Coast game - he backed in players that faded against North and they didn’t perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he make the same comment re Richmond? The same Richmond we wiped the floor with five years ago? :rolleyes:

He’s too dumb to realise that this statement is equivalent to “the team has moved backward at a rate of knots under my watch in the last five years”.

Unfortunately our management are also too dumb to realise that he’s outed his own ineptitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well at least it was five years ago.

We were wiping the floor with Collingwood as recently as two years ago and 13 months ago we were one of the flag fancies while Buckley wasn't expected by many to even coach out the season.

Five years ago, we were on the verge of a golden era. That we have gone so spectacularly backwards since then is an abominable failure and a damning indictment on the people running the club.

1. I get we played a top 4 team in form
2. I get we had Dixon, Gray, Jonas and Harlett out
3. I get we are a young team

But we had our best midfield playing and we got completely pansted in the 1st quarter at contested possession and structures. Our captain was spruiking on AFL 360 the night before game how the captains wanted to take on greater leadership and his actions speak louder than words. He was never ready to be our skipper. Anytime we get talked up in the media, the same players fail. We are mentally so weak. We were given a football lesson. I don't put 1 inch of blame on our young players. A full strength port would have made little difference. Collingwood midfield is pure class. We will never threaten the top teams until we inject speed and class into our midfield. Not plodders. Westhoff should not be shooting for goal....he destroys confidence in the team.

Pat on back to SPP who busted his gut. Houston was good. Boak was better in 2nd half but damage was done.

Ken...I have no more energy talking about how much I want him gone!
Agree with every word

And this >Anytime we get talked up in the media, the same players fail

Westhoff is a cancer too

I blame Ken for his **** selection policy and inability to understand what is required on smaller grounds.

Why would I watch a game that was just going to make me upset? Sometimes the best strategy is not to play.

That’s called “knowing when it’s a lost cause”. It was never going to work without Dixon or a player of his contested marking caliber, and I said weeks ago that we needed him for Collingwood.

I have my own opinions on what will and will not work in football. I’ve got better things to do then get upset about something I a) can’t control and b) don’t believe in the strategy of.

Youre rating Dixon too highly..

He's had his limelight in big games and done nothing. The result yesterday wouldn't of been much better, he's not a number 1 key forward but unfortuately we have tried to make him one. It was lost in the middle anyway and nearly always is. We have a group of over-rated plodders who are nearly always exposed on a fast dry track against a good side and at times even poor ones.

Westhoff was ******* terrible. Only did good things in the last when the game was totally shot.
He's had 8 seasons now where he can drift with zero accountability for a direct opponent. Easiest career in history of the modern era. Misses almost every time, especially clutch goals. Physically falls over when under extreme psychological pressure.

The guy is a dementor to younger players. Not a single attribute that is leadership or to be admired or emulated.

Seems like a nice guy though

He's had 8 seasons now where he can drift with zero accountability for a direct opponent.
******* horrifying isn't it? Its more than that because he was doing it under late Choco as well, thats how far back the rot goes.

"Oh but he got a lot of possessions", yeah well if every player ran around like a ******* Auskicker chasing the ball, maybe they would have too

Our structure has been a constant debacle since Westhoff became a fixture in our side, under three coaches. HINT ******* HINT

Was there something up with wines when they showed him hunched, head down with his face on the bench?
Or just frustration??
He was having a shocker, absolute shocker, then did 2 fail moments, then that long handball in the centre.....directly to his unmarked opponent. Took himself straight off. Blew a brain gasket had a cry I guess. Or held it together.

It's up to him now. He's a grown man. Incredibly well paid. Captain of a 150 year old club in a professional competition.

Sure it's just a game and a piece of leather so context, but it's up to him where he goes from here.

Could be the thing that makes him . Being brutal he hasn't come on and is not much better than in his first season. On his performance, he isn't _that_good.

But he could be.

Last edited:
Just having a sook & not a good look. Should of made up for his utensil ups on field. Clearly has some mental issues.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He knew how bad it was. He did a smart play by taking himself off and having a "reset". I'm sure he had rotated through all his affirmations and self speak earlier to will himself upwards. Which did not work for whatever reason

We do have some very mentally weak players out there. I put Dixon, westhoff and Marshall into that class. I don't yet see mentally weak by wines. We don't know if he actually does have any issues with his shoulder (are people here just suggesting he is because he is playing all poorly and can't stick a tackle?)

This next few weeks will show his mental state...after the obligatory gut busts he will naturally be showing this and next game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back