What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like Johnson publicly questioning Beveridge.
Kind of sick of Murphy's love talk for Beveridge. But i guess hes been asked about it a lot lately
Totally agree.

Bevo came out of the Carlton game pretty much unscathed in terms of how it was covered by the media. He has lots of credit in the bank and should get more leeway than most. However he should not be immune from criticism.

And it’s not just a dip and things not clicking. He has been making some decisions that are completely unreasonable. The only explanations being incompetence or stubbornness.

I can only imagine the heat on the coach if the Pies or Richmond were in this kind of mess.

Unfortunately I fear that the reason none of this gets too hotly debated is that, outside of 3011, nobody gives a flying fudge about our little old team.

Brad Johnson said:
...the Bulldogs were a prolific SuperCoach team and an inconsistent football team.

“They wrack up points, but not much comes from their possessions,” he said.

“I watched Round 1 against Sydney — the style was in contrast to most of last year.

“Instead of these blokes wracking them up, they came out the front of the contest, gave their forwards chances one-on-one, but these past few weeks it’s dropped back to a lot of possessions and no reward for it.”

Hammer met nail.

eb09329d8ead1fe2c0472baad5004be8

All this talk of Beveridge...I get it...but...

I honestly don't think there's another coach, past, present or future that could have led the club to the flag in 2016. This wasn't a team of champions. It was an even team with a spine of Fletcher Roberts, Joel Hamling, Tom Boyd, and 12 game centre half forward called Zaine Cordy (who is actually a backman).

Go back over the past 20 years and see how many premiership teams contained either a brownlow medalist or coleman medalist. I dare say we are one of the few that didn't.

Wouldn’t surprise me if that recording may have been used in discussions to oust Eade at the time of his sacking. I think that our sh*tful performance should have done the job of getting him fired anyway.
Smorgon shouldn’t have put the pressure on him by publicly stating Grand Final or bust. That just put far too much pressure on him in 2011. I agree, Rocket was becoming stale, but he was stiff the way he was ousted.

I actually like Johnson publicly questioning Beveridge.
Kind of sick of Murphy's love talk for Beveridge. But i guess hes been asked about it a lot lately

Murph can't talk any other way can he? :heartarrow::heartarrow::heartarrow::heartarrow: Smitten. It's sweet! :relieved:

1556943596585.png

It depends. Were you wearing a sombrero?
No, but I did have my Bulldogs scarf on, the one from 1990 with the coffee stains from about 1993 on it. Perhaps you can pick it out.

No, but I did have my Bulldogs scarf on, the one from 1990 with the coffee stains from about 1993 on it. Perhaps you can pick it out.
It'd be easier finding Wally (or Waldo) ... but he wouldn't be there because he's a Swans supporter, isn't he?
1556960078652.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AARON Naughton is the footballer every club wishes it could clone.

After all, not many first-year players are able to hold down important key defensive posts in their maiden campaign, then tear matches apart as a forward in the following season.

That alone is why the conundrum surrounding Naughton continues to grow each week.

BULLDOGS FIND THEIR BITE Full match coverage and stats

Forward or back?

There had been doubts cast over the role Naughton has been thrust into this season.

While no one had ever questioned the West Australian's undoubted talent and unlimited potential, the debate had been raised as to where his best footy would be played.

Having kicked three goals from five matches going into Saturday night's contest, Dogs fans were left reminiscing about his intercept ability and strong marking down back last year.

It was a rookie season in which Naughton remarkably finished fourth in the Dogs' best and fairest, despite missing four games through injury.

While exhilarating, his thrilling performance during the Western Bulldogs' resounding 47-point victory over Richmond on Saturday night didn't do much to solve that problem for Luke Beveridge.

However, it will mean Beveridge will have what coaches often describe as a 'good headache' for years to come.

Aaron Naughton celebrates one of his five goals against Richmond. Picture: AFL Photos
naughtonceleb107WBRi19MD368944153.JPG

Naughton kicked three goals in a riveting seven-minute burst in the second quarter to put the Dogs in the ascendancy. It came within a game where he finished with a career-best five goals, complementing his 14 strong grabs.

27 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Incredibly, nine of those marks were contested. Seven were claimed inside forward 50.

“We could’ve had Jesus Christ playing down there tonight and I reckon he would’ve struggled on him," Richmond coach Damien Hardwick remarked after the game.

Most contested marks in a game (1999-present)
10 - Wayne Carey (NM), v Coll in 2000
9 - Daniel Bradshaw (BL), v StK in 2001
9 - Chad Cornes (PA), v Ess in 2002
9 - Barry Hall (Syd), v Geel in 2008
9 - Matthew Lloyd (Ess), v Syd in 1999
9 - Aaron Naughton (WB), v Rich in 2019
9 - Brad Ottens (Rich), v Frem in 2001
9 - Drew Petrie (NM), v PA in 2011
9 - Matthew Richardson (Rich), v Geel in 1999
9 - Matthew Richardson (Rich), v Ess in 2006

And yet, despite his growth as a forward through seven weeks of the season, the nagging belief remained that Naughton's array of talents would be better suited down back.

Perhaps his lack of goals fed into that theory.

Naughton went into Saturday night's clash with Richmond without a goal in nearly 10 quarters and without multiple goals in a single game since his three majors against Sydney in round one.

He wasn't helping his cause, either. Two makeable set-shots were sent awry in the first quarter at Marvel Stadium, extending Naughton's frustrating dry spell.

NAUGHTON SOARS INTO FORM Youngster produces Mark of the Year contender

But how many second-year key forwards are producing consistent, high-quality footy?

Saturday night showed almost everything you would hope for from a 19-year-old forward.

He showed his positional sense is improving, his leading patterns are improving, his contested marking – already terrific throughout his maiden AFL season – is still improving.

AFL

@AFL

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1124653029758648323

What a night for Aaron Naughton!

Enjoy all of the star Dog's marks from a memorable performance. #AFLDogsTigers

10:32 PM - May 4, 2019

37 people are talking about this

The goals would come. And, as he found out, when it rains it pours.

A strong mark at the top of the goal square gifted him his first of the night early in the second term. Another big grab gave him his second moments later.

An incredible screamer, which saw him leap high and reach over four players to grab one of the best marks you'll see this weekend, resulted in his third goal in seven minutes.

If confidence – or a lack of – stemming from his lean patch had played a part in Naughton's early inaccuracy, it was working its magic in a positive sense from thereafter.

The excitement when the ball was kicked Naughton's way was palpable. He was marking virtually everything that came towards him. More high-flying grabs resulted in his fourth and fifth majors on a hugely exciting night.

Naughton soars over Nathan Broad for one of his nine contested grabs. Picture: AFL Photos
naughtonmark07WBRi19MD638110115.JPG

"I haven't spent much time up forward," Naughton said after the match.

"The journey is only starting up there. The more games I play, the more I'll learn.

"I'm not too sure if I prefer it. I'm still more comfortable down back, because I know a little bit more, but it's definitely something that I'd like to grow in my game."

Naughton's form forced Hardwick to shuffle the magnets.

Having started with Nathan Broad as his opponent, the Tigers quickly shifted Noah Balta to the red-hot youngster. Minutes later, it was Dylan Grimes manning him.

But whoever was standing next to Naughton, he enhanced his growing reputation as one of the League's best contested marks and one of its best young players.

It's hard to argue that will change in the future, regardless of which end of the field he occupies.

AARON Naughton is the footballer every club wishes it could clone.

After all, not many first-year players are able to hold down important key defensive posts in their maiden campaign, then tear matches apart as a forward in the following season.

That alone is why the conundrum surrounding Naughton continues to grow each week.

BULLDOGS FIND THEIR BITE Full match coverage and stats

Forward or back?

There had been doubts cast over the role Naughton has been thrust into this season.

While no one had ever questioned the West Australian's undoubted talent and unlimited potential, the debate had been raised as to where his best footy would be played.

Having kicked three goals from five matches going into Saturday night's contest, Dogs fans were left reminiscing about his intercept ability and strong marking down back last year.

It was a rookie season in which Naughton remarkably finished fourth in the Dogs' best and fairest, despite missing four games through injury.

While exhilarating, his thrilling performance during the Western Bulldogs' resounding 47-point victory over Richmond on Saturday night didn't do much to solve that problem for Luke Beveridge.

However, it will mean Beveridge will have what coaches often describe as a 'good headache' for years to come.

Aaron Naughton celebrates one of his five goals against Richmond. Picture: AFL Photos
naughtonceleb107WBRi19MD368944153.JPG

Not since Templeton have we had a contested pack marking beast like Naughton.

Theoverall

Naughton kicked three goals in a riveting seven-minute burst in the second quarter to put the Dogs in the ascendancy. It came within a game where he finished with a career-best five goals, complementing his 14 strong grabs.

AFL

Aaron Naughton, you beauty!#AFLDogsTigers
27 people are talking about this

Incredibly, nine of those marks were contested. Seven were claimed inside forward 50.

“We could’ve had Jesus Christ playing down there tonight and I reckon he would’ve struggled on him," Richmond coach Damien Hardwick remarked after the game.

Most contested marks in a game (1999-present)
10 - Wayne Carey (NM), v Coll in 2000
9 - Daniel Bradshaw (BL), v StK in 2001
9 - Chad Cornes (PA), v Ess in 2002
9 - Barry Hall (Syd), v Geel in 2008
9 - Matthew Lloyd (Ess), v Syd in 1999
9 - Aaron Naughton (WB), v Rich in 2019
9 - Brad Ottens (Rich), v Frem in 2001
9 - Drew Petrie (NM), v PA in 2011
9 - Matthew Richardson (Rich), v Geel in 1999
9 - Matthew Richardson (Rich), v Ess in 2006

And yet, despite his growth as a forward through seven weeks of the season, the nagging belief remained that Naughton's array of talents would be better suited down back.

Perhaps his lack of goals fed into that theory.

Naughton went into Saturday night's clash with Richmond without a goal in nearly 10 quarters and without multiple goals in a single game since his three majors against Sydney in round one.

He wasn't helping his cause, either. Two makeable set-shots were sent awry in the first quarter at Marvel Stadium, extending Naughton's frustrating dry spell.

NAUGHTON SOARS INTO FORM Youngster produces Mark of the Year contender

But how many second-year key forwards are producing consistent, high-quality footy?

Saturday night showed almost everything you would hope for from a 19-year-old forward.

He showed his positional sense is improving, his leading patterns are improving, his contested marking – already terrific throughout his maiden AFL season – is still improving.

AFL

What a night for Aaron Naughton!​
Enjoy all of the star Dog's marks from a memorable performance. #AFLDogsTigers
37 people are talking about this

The goals would come. And, as he found out, when it rains it pours.

A strong mark at the top of the goal square gifted him his first of the night early in the second term. Another big grab gave him his second moments later.

An incredible screamer, which saw him leap high and reach over four players to grab one of the best marks you'll see this weekend, resulted in his third goal in seven minutes.

If confidence – or a lack of – stemming from his lean patch had played a part in Naughton's early inaccuracy, it was working its magic in a positive sense from thereafter.

The excitement when the ball was kicked Naughton's way was palpable. He was marking virtually everything that came towards him. More high-flying grabs resulted in his fourth and fifth majors on a hugely exciting night.

Naughton soars over Nathan Broad for one of his nine contested grabs. Picture: AFL Photos
naughtonmark07WBRi19MD638110115.JPG

"I haven't spent much time up forward," Naughton said after the match.

"The journey is only starting up there. The more games I play, the more I'll learn.

"I'm not too sure if I prefer it. I'm still more comfortable down back, because I know a little bit more, but it's definitely something that I'd like to grow in my game."

Naughton's form forced Hardwick to shuffle the magnets.

Having started with Nathan Broad as his opponent, the Tigers quickly shifted Noah Balta to the red-hot youngster. Minutes later, it was Dylan Grimes manning him.

But whoever was standing next to Naughton, he enhanced his growing reputation as one of the League's best contested marks and one of its best young players.

It's hard to argue that will change in the future, regardless of which end of the field he occupies.

Its terrific to see Naughton doing so well. Interesting that such a fuss is made. Its almost like Naughts is an oddity. AFL has almost lost the art of the four deep pack mark and screamer that guys like Carey, Knights and Van der Haar used to take. Hopefully Naughts leads a comeback for the four deep pack mark screamer as its probably one of the most unique and exciting parts of the game, and honestly as a kid it was what attracted me to AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back