Which list would you rather going forward - Hawthorn or Sydney?

Which list would you rather going forward?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope this thread is not seen as self serving consering I am a Swans fan and I am very much not trying to start an argument with anyone but after today where Sydney lost to Brisbane and Hawthorn lost to Melbourne I thought it would be interesting to compare the two lists since it was only a couple of years ago both teams were very much in premiership contention and now it looks like both lists are going down (though admittedly right now Hawthorn is the better team than Sydney). I am however interested in what people think in terms of the future, and which list you personally think is better in terms of the future, rather than right at this moment?

Here they are, also for reference I am only including players who have played a game.

Hawthorn
18-23 (11)
Moore 19.9, Worpel 20.3, Morrison 20.5, Lewis 20.6, Scrimshaw 20.8, Nash 20.9, Cousins 21.1, Glass 21.7, Hardwick 22.2, Miles 22.6, Pittonet 22.11

23-29 (17)
Howe 23.5, Impey 23.9, Sicily 24.3, Brand 25.0, O'Brien 25.1, O'Meara 25.2, Michington 25.8, Wingard 25.9, Mitchell 25.11, Langford 26.10, Gunston 27.6, Scull 27.11, Shiels 28.0, Mirra 28.1, Ceglar 28.2, Breust 28.5, Schoenmakers 28.5

29+ (9)
McEvoy 29.9, Stratton 30.2, Smith 30.4, Frawley 30.7, Henderson 30.7, Birchall 31.3, Puopolo 31.5, Roughead 32.3, Burgoyne 36.6

Sydney
18-23 (14)
Rowbottom 18.7, McInerney 18.8, Blakey 19.2, McCartin 19.4, Stoddart 19.6, Hayward 20.6, Florent 20.9, Ronke 21.4, Clarke 21.10, Dawson 22.0, Mills 22.1, Melican 22.6, Papley 22.9, Heeney 22.11

23-29 (15)
Rose 23.0, Hewett 23.4, O'Riordan 23.6, Cameron 23.9, Jones 24.1, Aliir 24.7, Thurlow 25.1, Cunningham 25.4, Lloyd 25.7, Fox 26.0, Parker 26.6, Naismith 26.9, Ried 27.4, Menzel 27.7, Rampe 28.11

29+ (6)
Sinclair 29.7, Kennedy 30.10, Jack 31.10, Franklin 32.3, Grundy 32.11, McVeigh 34.0

From my perspective the Hawthorn's over 29's are a little more important than the Sydney over 29's (but not by much). However, Hawthorn have a much stronger core group of 23 to 29 year olds. Sydney though have better under 23's, or at least more proven.

So going forward which list do you think is better placed for getting back into the pointy end of the top 8 and potentially contending for flags?

Sydney.

Heeney will be a premier player in the comp soon enough and I like Aliir, Papley, Florent and Hayward.

Still surprised Hawthorn traded away Burton, who seems to have AA potential and has been pretty good for Port already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn. Easily. Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel are a decent trio to build a team around.
Wingard and Scully are quality (if they ever return to their best).

Sydney have Heeney and... Florent perhaps?
I'm very surprised at Sydney's resilience. Their midfield gets smashed horribly almost every week and they lose by a respectable margin.

Hawthorn. Easily. Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel are a decent trio to build a team around.
Wingard and Scully are quality (if they ever return to their best).

Sydney have Heeney and... Florent perhaps?
I'm very surprised at Sydney's resilience. Their midfield gets smashed horribly almost every week and they lose by a respectable margin.

I’d disagree, Sydney have Mills, heyward, papley, Hewett, Ronke, Blakey, McCartin, Alir alir, Lloyd and Jones who should all be around for a fair while and are 25 or under.

They have exposed more decent youth to AFL football than hawthorn over recent years.

They still need more, they also have the issue of buddy being contracted until 2022

Would rather any clubs list over Sydney. We’re dealing with a club that hasnt had to rebuilt in over 20 years because of salary cap advantages. A culture built around privilege isn’t conducive to bottoming out

I’d disagree, Sydney have Mills, heyward, papley, Hewett, Ronke, Blakey, McCartin, Alir alir, Lloyd and Jones who should all be around for a fair while and are 25 or under.

They have exposed more decent youth to AFL football than hawthorn over recent years.

They still need more, they also have the issue of buddy being contracted until 2022
I'm specifically looking at the midfield as it is the most important part of the ground.

I'm sorry but Mills has been plain garbage. Not sold on him at all. Not many of those you listed (if any) are quality mids.
I'd take Worpel ahead of everyone except Aliir.
I'd take Sicily ahead of everyone except maayybe Aliir.

Also, Aliir and Jones are only about a year younger than Mitchell and O'Meara.

Regardless, both sides are screwed, but I'd say Sydney are in for some real pain.

I'm specifically looking at the midfield as it is the most important part of the ground.

I'm sorry but Mills has been plain garbage. Not sold on him at all. Not many of those you listed (if any) are quality mids.
I'd take Worpel ahead of everyone except Aliir.
I'd take Sicily ahead of everyone except maayybe Aliir.

Also, Aliir and Jones are only about a year younger than Mitchell and O'Meara.

Regardless, both sides are screwed, but I'd say Sydney are in for some real pain.

Mills hasn’t been great this year but I wouldn’t write him off.

You are right both clubs I think are in for some pain, but considering their success of recent times I think they will see it as a fair trade off.

Blakey too early to tell he might be a star, Mills great first year but meh since the rest good ordinary players at best ( plus I hear Jones is out the door - possibly to Hawthorn.)

Blakey too early to tell he might be a star, Mills great first year but meh since the rest good ordinary players at best ( plus I hear Jones is out the door - possibly to Hawthorn.)

Always rumors about players, to me their not gone until their gone. Half the time it’s spread by their agent in an attempt to leverage more cash form their current club.

We are into Jack Martin, doesn’t mean I’d discount him from GC’a future on the assumption he’s going.

Always rumors about players, to me their not gone until their gone. Half the time it’s spread by their agent in an attempt to leverage more cash form their current club.

We are into Jack Martin, doesn’t mean I’d discount him from GC’a future on the assumption he’s going.

TBH not sure I would want Jones if he was available, quick and has some mongrel but not a great kick

Back