Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

80a6c35df96abbec66187ba3e2f2e5ae.jpg

Posted in the game thread but needs repeating. This is our forward setup with a loose ball contest 70m out from goal.

Let’s say someone gathers it and fires a handball out to an Eagle in space. Quick decision - what exactly are you meant to do with the ball there? Hack it long to the loose? Pinpoint Venables and hope for the best?

Shocking setup, our forwards have been pushing higher and higher forward this season and the best patches of footy have been when we’ve had targets locked in deep. Ridiculous setup, no wonder guys are getting done running too far.

+ We won
Same ol campaigners carrying the load, Shuey, Shep, Guv and Yeo, with a bit of help from Hurn, Sheed and half an hour from Jack.

- The same passengers as the last few weeks, Venables played a qtr then disappeared, Oscar doesn't do enough especially if he doesn't take his couple of chances. Cole has regressed and Schoey is playing because I don't know why. Masten although he didn't do anything stupid isn't finding the ball much and Cripps is non existent. We really need Rioli and Nic for the pressure they bring.

Another thing that is extremely frustrated is when we're losing we are afraid to have a shot for goal, we expect the lead up to the goal to be perfect like Gaff's kick to Darling. But goals like Yeo's late, and Ryan's early on in the piece weaving through traffic after a third effort off the ground, they had no right to kick those but they made it happen.

During the struggle periods after half time, players are so conscious of doing the "right thing" by the team they forget to be instinctual footballers who create play. Shuey looking for JK is obvious as *, only to be cut off by a defender. Shuey could easily have had a shot only 40m out, running onto his right.

JK gets the ball i50 in space rolling to his right but fires off some stupid disposal across the face of goal for no apparent reason, he's paid to kick goals and really should have pulled the trigger. I don't know what Petruccelle was trying to do late in the piece either.

I think Ryan had a disposal i50 that was overkill as well but my memory is failing me now.

Negs
- I think the lack of preseason is showing, we're not fit enough. Especially the mids, when they're dominating and running hard you get results like the first half. They tired and dropped off in the second half and our defenders become under pressure and our forwards don't get a decent look at it.
- Some of the long backward kicks do my head in, especially when whoever marks it doesn't take off straight away.
- Fumbles and errors still way too high
- I swear two of those 50s the umpires had called play on! The Ryan one he definitely did.

Positives
- Darling, Cripps and Venners all really good.
- Midfield looked much better tonight, but they did fall away late in the game.

We miss slyce

He wasn't/isn't A Grade, but I feel our midfield has become reliant on having a big bodied, decent ruck, which we certainly don't have in Vardy. Some truly Grimes level tap work from Nathan. Missing Nic like crazy and to a lesser extent Lycett/Hickey.

+ Yeo is finally hitting his straps.
+ Redden's tackling numbers.
+ Shep - I have more confidence in him than anyone else on our list to at least halve the contest.
+ Darling with some quality bodywork/snaps.
+ No one seemed to enjoy that game or the goals kicked. There is no reason for Simpson or the players to be pleased with themselves and I'm glad they didn't seem too chuffed.
+ Sheed has become an excellent set shot.

- Darling has shown that he has the potential to be an absolute gun, which makes his fades all the more deflating.
- Barrass, Naitanui and Rioli make this a much better, less predictable team. Not having them available is hurting our B2B chances, especially the latter two. You can work out a system, but you can't work out game breakers, which Rioli and Nic Nat are.
- Cripps/DV/Masten/Cole/Schofield/I'm sure a few others/ all have the occasional moment of competence, but we're just not getting enough out of them. Cripps has been especially disappointing as I thought he turned the corner last year.

Just bank the win and move on.

Some good signs, some not so good but we any win is golden given we are so out of form.

We clearly dont have the desire of last year, I am just hoping we can last for the later part of the year/finals and then recapture the desire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did notice Cripps, thought he played a decent game without being a standout at all.

Ryan's 50m against was correct, the umpire never called play on. Ryan went too early.

Hurn's 55m kick backwards was frustrating, but he was blindsided against the boundary and had already been caught HTB earlier in the match I believe.

+4 points
+No in game injuries (waits for new players lower leg injury come Monday)
+little bit more intensity, at least to start the game
+Simpson seemed unsatisfied and I like it
+Darling getting a bit of form and aggression back
+Shepps spoil.

- We have a bunch of players who are consistently mediocre but don't get dropped because maybe there's nobody better? Anyways Masten, Vardy and Venables won't be taking us to a premiership in 2019 and they are consistently putting up laughable stats with no impact or presence.
- Continuing our trend of only trying when we think we need to, AKA always letting other teams back in it.

Seems to be a tank issue with Venerables - he was good in the 1st Q, and then unseen after that.

Sheed - Had zero tackles, it's very frustrating to watch him. His kicks for goal were brilliant though.

Sheed had three very important tackles in the first quarter alone.
They may not have ended in stoppages so technically are not "recorded tackles" but they were more effective than getting a stat in the T column because you happen to be sitting on the opposition player with the ball when the umpire blows the whistle.
You've got to look beyond the stats sheet which is clearly misleading and watch the game for yourself.

Just bank the win and move on.

Some good signs, some not so good but we any win is golden given we are so out of form.

We clearly dont have the desire of last year, I am just hoping we can last for the later part of the year/finals and then recapture the desire.

I think (well hope) will come in the form of Rioli and Nic. We simply have to find a way to work through these issues and keep putting wins on the board. Can’t afford to be too far off the pace...

80a6c35df96abbec66187ba3e2f2e5ae.jpg

Posted in the game thread but needs repeating. This is our forward setup with a loose ball contest 70m out from goal.

Let’s say someone gathers it and fires a handball out to an Eagle in space. Quick decision - what exactly are you meant to do with the ball there? Hack it long to the loose? Pinpoint Venables and hope for the best?

Shocking setup, our forwards have been pushing higher and higher forward this season and the best patches of footy have been when we’ve had targets locked in deep. Ridiculous setup, no wonder guys are getting done running too far.
The reason they are pushing higher is that our mids are giving them bugger all supply

Sheed had three very important tackles in the first quarter alone.
They may not have ended in stoppages so technically are not "recorded tackles" but they were more effective than getting a stat in the T column because you happen to be sitting on the opposition player with the ball when the umpire blows the whistle.
You've got to look beyond the stats sheet which is clearly misleading and watch the game for yourself.
I thought Sheed got exploited quite a few times at the stoppages. Just trailed his man through the stoppages and had zero impact. He does some great stuff but defensively he falls asleep at the wheel far too often.

The reason they are pushing higher is that our mids are giving them bugger all supply

We had 50 inside fifties, our second highest total for the season (51 in the derby). If that’s the case then it’s ill disciplined and hurting the side. Don’t go creeping up the field looking for a touch when it costs us once our mids actually get the footy.

Positives Yeo's last quarter was moving around like last year when in top form looks to have turned a corner
Jack Darling got some goals, would like a four quarter game though.

Negatives

Duggan in the backline since his knee injury is a liability, needs time in the wafl

Negs
- I think the lack of preseason is showing, we're not fit enough. Especially the mids, when they're dominating and running hard you get results like the first half. They tired and dropped off in the second half and our defenders become under pressure and our forwards don't get a decent look at it.
- Some of the long backward kicks do my head in, especially when whoever marks it doesn't take off straight away.
- Fumbles and errors still way too high
- I swear two of those 50s the umpires had called play on! The Ryan one he definitely did.

Positives
- Darling, Cripps and Venners all really good.
- Midfield looked much better tonight, but they did fall away late in the game.

Cripps??? He was virtually unseen. Needs dropping.

Another negative, umpires need to shut the **** up, with there stupid "hold" calls and Ryan was undone by a stupid move it on call. It's either play on or nothing dickheads.

Exactly, the ump waved play on with a swinging arm, then pings Ryan - WTF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back