Review Round 7, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have waited ten long years for this... to finally beat the Swans again. I had some Swans fans over for dinner, who I introduced to AFL, and opened a 2008 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier that I have been saving for such a night. Savoured every delicious drop. Very happy, a win is a win. Enjoy it all who call themselves Lions!

I have waited ten long years for this... to finally beat the Swans again. I had some Swans fans over for dinner, who I introduced to AFL, and opened a 2008 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier that I have been saving for such a night. Savoured every delicious drop. Very happy, a win is a win. Enjoy it all who call themselves Lions!

Murrumbateman area wines are very underrated and unfortunately not very widespread in the rest of Aus. Having previously lived in Canberra I've spent more than a few hours at Clonakilla and other local wineries.

A fitting drop to enjoy a drought-breaking win!

Not sure another club would take him

I think someone would but we wouldn't get anything decent for him - pick in the 40s at best. But he's good enough to be a listed AFL player for a bottom 6 club easily.

It's a shame as he showed so much promise in his first year. I've been a defender of his but I don't see the point in playing him in the seniors at the moment.

Good win absolutely dominated if it wasn't for that second quarter fade we would of been winning by 40+, Happy i was wrong about our ability to play in bad conditions.

Think Lewy could be on shaky ground with 7 disposals. Hope not but too many playing well in the 2s

I think he’ll be right, playing the team we played tonight should match up against the Dogs pretty well. Wouldn’t want to change it based on that.

He had a quiet game, but I don’t think he did Bundy levels of performance. Although a lot of people here, excluding 3KZ because his opinion is clearly inflated/biased hence why even if Lewy performs well he still bashes him, have put him down a bit he’s defensive work is better than last year as it is. We see him ram into opposition players, lay more tackles than usual and change his positioning accordingly. I think he will continue to improve as he goes along, as he has been playing better since Fagan came in.

Anyone know what Robinson yelled to the bench right after giving away the 50?

I’ve rewatched that incident a couple of times - he must of mouthed off cause I don’t see any other reason for a 50. In fact he got walloped by the swans player running through which I thought should have reversed the original call anyway.

I know I’m one eyed so I’m sure someone here can explain exactly what the penalty was for.

I’ve rewatched that incident a couple of times - he must of mouthed off cause I don’t see any other reason for a 50. In fact he got walloped by the swans player running through which I thought should have reversed the original call anyway.

I know I’m one eyed so I’m sure someone here can explain exactly what the penalty was for.

I think the umpire thought he wrestled/pushed the swans player running through to the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another win on the board! Absolutely love what Fagan is doing with this club. The improvement is clear to see.

Tough slog Today against an opponent that relishes in those sort of conditions and we handled them quite easily in the end.

Usual suspects in Zorko, Neale, Mcluggage, Rich were very good. Also thought Berry played a very good game today. Walker and Gardiner did well down back also.

I cant put into words how proud I am of this team. They are reaping the rewards of their work over the last few seasons. Still going to be some bumps on the way but damn...And with our reserves also killing it, the potential for this season and the following seasons is huge.

Dont be surprised to see us pick up another elite 25 ager, players are watching us and will want to be part of our success.

Just so damn proud of our fight shown tonight.

Jeez just looking at the game stats shows some interesting things.

Zorko game was elite. I made a mention that he seemed down on his previous years standards, but I had egg on my face at the end and Im happy to admit that. Hes playing a different role but hes doing enough to be that danger to other teams.

Stefan/Oscar are really becoming the best Ruck Combo in the league. 33 and 27 hitouts respectively, Stefans around the field work and Oscars contest are huge for us.

Mitch Robinson, what more can you say? Absolute heart and soul of our side. Occasional 50 aside I wouldnt trade him for anyone right now.

Berry/McCluggage, our Voss and Black for the next decade. They are THAT good.

Rich is hitting his prime RIGHT when we needed him to. He is something else.

Walker, career saved, arguably more important for us than Andrews right now.

Cutler finally showing us what he actually is: A deadly winger with smarts and pace to burn. Should play ever game here on.

Hodge. Just, hes Hodge, what more can you say? Just got to get him to imprint well on someone like Witherden or Bailey.

Neale and Lyons, absolute midfield bulls. Both invaluable.

Charlie Cameron, struggled early with accuracy but you knew he'd do something special, he always does.

McStay is a riddle that we'll crack eventually. He sort of needs to crack his own riddle.

Darcy Gardiner is in the same league as Walker, without him our backline would struggle horrendously.

Rayner holds his spot, he is going to be something scary in 2 years.

Answerth did enough to stick around I think, he has some damn good hands.

Witherden just needs to get a bit more confidence, he'll be fine.

Hipwood is tracking fine.

McCarthy is like a second year player, he'll get better as the season goes on.

Lester, serviceable, although probably going to lose his spot to Harris.

Taylor. What an enigma. I just dont think hes got what our side needs anymore. Hes going to lose his spot to the likes of Bailey, Keys, Corey Lyons, T Berry who, while not as flighty as him (Bailey probably is faster) but provide so much more structure for us.

Just got to say it again: Cutler. He is going under the radar a bit but his performance since returning to the senior side is going to be his next step moment for me. Hes going to be something special for us that we always knew he could but we thought we'd missed out on.

This win just feels so bloody good. In my mind, even though we have been winning, last night is the statement game. We expected the win, they played a brilliant game. No slow start, no going missing and lots of grunt at times to grind down the opposition.

Up till now its been ‘is this real’. Last night made all those doubts disappear.
The lions are good at footy again.

Up till now its been ‘is this real’. Last night made all those doubts disappear.
The lions are good at footy again.
Is the LID OFF?

Great win, will be fantastic for confidence.

Rich is so decisive in his play, doing really important defensive work at key moments.

There was a brilliant tackle by Mcluggage towards the end of the game on the half back line. It was a very powerful and aggressive tackle, it was bloody brilliant.

(to the tune of "Livin' next door to Alice").....

"5 goals, 9 contested marks
A beast up forward, tearin' up the park
And the word on the street is the Dogs have got a bloke called Naughton"
(NAUGHTON? WHO THE * IS NAUGHTON?)

:D

Back