Preview Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Eagles

Votes: 43 55.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
y5RJws6.png

Preview
St.Kilda v West Coast

657230_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda suffered their third loss for the season last Saturday, going down by 44 points to a rampant GWS.

As for the Eagles, they were lucky in the end to get the win at home against the Gold Coast, and despite a spirited Suns fightback, the home side came away 23 point victors.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Daniel McKenzie
C: Ben Long, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Matthew Parker
F: Jonathon Marsh, Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
I/C: Blake Acres, Hunter Clark, Dean Kent, Ben Paton

West Coast Best 22
B:
Shannon Hurn, Will Schofield, Liam Duggan
HB: Lewis Jetta, Jeremy McGovern, Brad Sheppard
C: Daniel Venables, Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff
HF: Oscar Allen, Jack Darling, Chris Masten
F: Liam Ryan, Josh J. Kennedy, Jamie Cripps
Foll: Tom Hickey, Dom Sheed, Luke Shuey
I/C: Jack Redden, Jack Petruccelle, Tom Cole, Mark Hutchings

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2007%20-%20GWS%20v%20St%20Kilda/670165_gl.jpg[/IMG]

For the Saints, Jimmy Webster looked to have injured his hand early in the match but managed to play out the match after some treatment.

As for the Eagles, Gun defender Brad Sheppard copped a big hit in the third quarter and had ice applied to his leg after the game but is expected to be fine. Ruckman Tom Hickey is also aiming to return after being a late withdrawal due to a slight hamstring problem.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+11+West+Coast+v+St+Kilda+XRJzUr_b1W4l.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda's frustrating form continues, and after a convincing defeat last week against Adelaide the Saints were outmatched once again, with the Giants steamrolling them for 8 goals in the first quarter to run away with a 44 point victory despite a small St.Kilda resurgence in the third term.

In another disappointing day for the Saints, emerging ruckman Rowan Marshall lead the way for the visitors, collecting 22 possessions (14 contested) to go along with 27 hit-outs and 2 goals in a best on ground performance.

Other notable performances included Seb Ross (26 disposals, 5 tackles), Jack Steele (24 disp) and Dean Kent (16 possessions, 8 marks, 2 goals).

After losses to Brisbane, Port Adelaide and Geelong, the Eagles were looking to get back on the winners list as they played host to a much improved Gold Coast at Optus Stadium.

After leading by 39 points at half time, thanks to a 5 goal to 1 second term, the Eagles looked to have it in the bag. However the Suns stormed back in the second half, kicking 6 goals to 3 after halftime to reduce the margin to a final 23 points.

West Coast's midfield was absolutely superb all night, and surely will be credited for the reason they won the game. Andrew Gaff (35 disposals, 10 marks, 6 tackles), Dom Sheed (32 possessions, 9 marks, 2 goals), Luke Shuey (31 disposals, 8 tackles) and Elliot Yeo (28 disposals, 7 marks, 12 tackles, 1 goal) all played a major part in the overall result - Yeo adjudged best on ground.

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/nbrown-760x438.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda key defender Nathan Brown should be an automatic inclusion into Alan Richardson's side for this Saturday night's game, as the Saints will look to add much needed experience to a young back six.

Other notable inclusions could be Nick Hind and Luke Dunstan.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2007%20-%20West%20Coast%20v%20Gold%20Coast/670594_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Josh J. Kennedy
After the Saints backline gave up 18 goals last weekend (with 5 of them to Jeremy Cameron) the task of stopping premier forwards doesn't get any easier this weekend. One would expect Nathan Brown to come straight back into the St.Kilda back-line and take Kennedy in what will be a pivotal match-up.

Andrew Gaff
Gaff has been in Brownlow medal winning form this season, and after 35 touches and 10 marks against the Suns, his run from the middle could cut the Saints open if they aren't manning him tightly. With a plethora of midfielders the Saints will need to curtail, it's hard to identify an immediate matchup for Gaff. One would expect that the St.Kilda midfielders rotate to Gaff at different stages throughout.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/ivLjmYw.jpg[/IMG]

This will probably go against the grain a bit, given the Saints have just come off 2 straight losses and have a huge injury list, but I think the fact that the game is in Melbourne is a huge advantage for the Saints, and whilst the Eagles are the reigning premiers, they haven't set the world on fire this year. They have travelled to Melbourne twice this year and played Collingwood and Geelong - being comprehensively beaten in both games.

I think that if St.Kilda can get back to their pressure game and lower their eyes when going inside 50 they could cause an upset on Saturday night. I think it will be a close one.

Saints by 2 points.

Thoughts?

Rather than bringing in the usual suspects, I'd prefer to see something like
Long or Clark rested
Gresh forward, Paton to the midfield and Coffield/Hind in
It's time to start using Acres in the middle of the ground more and not just as a ruck. He is high impact per possession but isn't getting enough of it in the forward line

aghhh looks like they are gonna smash gold coast and find a bit of form.
bit like adelaide did a few weeks ago.
23pts against the Suns at home is not a huge win.
With the right attitude & team selection they are/could be beatable.

Rather than bringing in the usual suspects, I'd prefer to see something like
Long or Clark rested
Gresh forward, Paton to the midfield and Coffield/Hind in
It's time to start using Acres in the middle of the ground more and not just as a ruck. He is high impact per possession but isn't getting enough of it in the forward line
Clark only just got back into the side. Let's back him in for a decent block of games and give him a chance.

He didn't play a game at all last week and only played 80 minutes yesterday, he doesn't need a rest. He needs games at the top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark only just got back into the side. Let's back him in for a decent block of games and give him a chance.

He didn't play a game at all last week and only played 80 minutes yesterday, he doesn't need a rest. He needs games at the top level.
Yeah that's why I said Long or Clark. Usually I'd agree and I do actually want Clark to be in the team for a long stretch, but he just seems so physically undeveloped I'd half prefer him to just hit the gym for a solid month or 2.

He's never played midfield, has he? Even for the Bushies he was a small defender.

I could be wrong but I believe he's played there a few times at the lower level. Running low on options and he looks the most capable of the lot. Tough, composed, quick, can kick and can run out a whole game. And allows us to bring in another half back which we have a few of..

He's never played midfield, has he? Even for the Bushies he was a small defender.
Played midfielder in his first TAC season - didn't get an invite to the draft, went back to play as a defender in his supplementary TAC season - named HBF in the U18 All Australian Team.

That got him an invite to the draft where he performed exceptionally well - three top-10 results at the AFL draft combine, second in the running vertical jump (99cm), third in the standing vertical jump (80cm) and sixth in the 20m sprint (2.95 seconds).

Started in the centre circle on a few occasions in his few games with us last year.

Definite keeper!!!

Yeah that's why I said Long or Clark. Usually I'd agree and I do actually want Clark to be in the team for a long stretch, but he just seems so physically undeveloped I'd half prefer him to just hit the gym for a solid month or 2.
I'd like to see him put on a bit more muscle over next off season, but it's not like he's a skinny kid. Plenty going around with similar bodies to him. He looks stronger than last year and he played some pretty impressive games then.

Wouldn’t mind seein Hind have a run in the midfield, bring back Dunstan & play Young up forward, time to give a couple of players a little breather. At this stage of the year it wouldn’t hurt, gives the likes of either Acres, Gresh, Parker, Long, Billings etc. etc. a bit of a spell before loading up & playing them the couple of games before the break. Then with the week off, they/we are ready for the run home, with hopefully a few on our injury list knocking on the door for a game.

Played midfielder in his first TAC season - didn't get an invite to the draft, went back to play as a defender in his supplementary TAC season - named HBF in the U18 All Australian Team.

That got him an invite to the draft where he performed exceptionally well - three top-10 results at the AFL draft combine, second in the running vertical jump (99cm), third in the standing vertical jump (80cm) and sixth in the 20m sprint (2.95 seconds).

Started in the centre circle on a few occasions in his few games with us last year.

Definite keeper!!!
Actually went back and had a look at the Bushrangers team when Paton was being played as a midfielder - he was 3rd string mid behind Will Brodie (Pick 9) and Jy Simpkin (Pick 12).

So....

McGovern will have taken 20 intercept marks by half time next week.

Hopefully the players make life easier for him and just pass it to his chest in the last half.
Tbh i think we may go better if we try to kick it at oppo defenders. That way if our forwards are within range they can have a run at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back