Review Round 7, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I made a comment last week to my wife that I thought we won against Gold Coast despite not playing well - we won ugly. That's a sign of a good team.

Last night was similar. We played better than last week but still not as well as we could, and again won ugly - a very satisfying win!

interesting statistic which I’ve been shouted down for in the last month. Win ratio with bundy in the team = 0%.
Win ratio without bundy in the team =100%

Interesting....
Yes because one player was responsible for 50/60 point losses to Collingwood and Essendon.

By your logic Answerth should never miss a game as our win ratio is 100% with him in the side.

I think someone would but we wouldn't get anything decent for him - pick in the 40s at best. But he's good enough to be a listed AFL player for a bottom 6 club easily.

It's a shame as he showed so much promise in his first year. I've been a defender of his but I don't see the point in playing him in the seniors at the moment.

I’d be a little sad if we let him go and he didn’t get picked up. Would be a real example of how cutthroat the AFL can be. For a guy like Taylor to find himself in the scrap heap and so quickly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought Charlie played well albeit missed a few sitters but made up for it with that goal at the end of the third quarter.

The sad thing watching him live this year though is you can definitely tell he’s lost that yard of electrifying pace that he had before his injury.

Hopefully he’s still just suffering the effects of it and eventually will get that back because whilst definitely not slow by any means, he just doesn’t have that break away pace from his opponent that he had before the injury.

Happy with the win. Yips second week in a row and falling asleep at the wheel twice (for periods of the game) was frustrating, but it's not supposed to be perfect. Lots of good performaces, some players still struggling for touch.

Lewy only had 7 dis but I reckon everyone of those, he used legs speed over a long distance to regain possession or win a foot race, also went at 100%. Still noticed his run, needs more ball though.

Answerth is a player, similar vibes with him to Andrews and Witho in their first few games, can just tell he is a player. Composed and willing to go when it's his turn, we have one there.

We were dominant, but still feel like if we ran into good team they would do a number on us, still can't complain, we are 5-2 FFS!

Clugg is playing at AA squad level, absolute gun. Rich is consistently playing well. Gards bsck in form. McStay played well. Big O got to a lot of contests, liked his game.

Happy days.

The pivotal moment in the game for me was in the fourth quarter when Sydney tried to go through the middle with the scores still close. The ball was kicked to Allir who would have been able to turn and go with Sydney players running into the corridor ahead. Zorko got up to spoil Allir’s mark, Clug picked it up and kicked the goal. Right then I thought we had the game, but for Zorko’s spoil, it could have been a very different story.

I found the bolded part amazing at the time. Zorko really is a magician, because he must have conjured a ladder from somewhere...

I have waited ten long years for this... to finally beat the Swans again. I had some Swans fans over for dinner, who I introduced to AFL, and opened a 2008 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier that I have been saving for such a night. Savoured every delicious drop. Very happy, a win is a win. Enjoy it all who call themselves Lions!

I remember...
  • Watching the 2003 final on the couch and jumping around the room.
  • <Moved to Sydney at the beginning of 2004>
  • Missing the 2004 game because of a work function. If I knew what I know now, I might've skipped the work function...
  • Missing the first 2009 game because I was away over Easter and it was Sydney. Again, if I knew what I know now, I might've made the effort.
  • Attended the second 2009 game and was through the roof.
  • And then last night.
In between I've attended every Lions game in Sydney for a hell of a lot of losses...

I’ve rewatched that incident a couple of times - he must of mouthed off cause I don’t see any other reason for a 50. In fact he got walloped by the swans player running through which I thought should have reversed the original call anyway.

I know I’m one eyed so I’m sure someone here can explain exactly what the penalty was for.

On TV I could see that the umpire was indicating that Robbo caught the guy high when pushing him away.

One of the more pleasing things in the team’s development is that we seem to have lots of individual goal kickers most games - lots of routes to goal.

The lack of a hugely dominant goal kicker isn’t necessarily a problem if there are plenty of others who can score regularly.

I think Sydney might be finding out that having Buddy out reveals their dependence on him a bit too much, even though his production has been down this year. They were probably kept in it by Papley’s game (and our poor goal kicking) but otherwise their forward line without Buddy looked nowhere near as threatening as ours, with multiple dangers for defenders to worry about.

Another positive aspect was that we seemed to do a good job on their real danger players -Lloyd didn’t get to do what he usually does out of defence, we drew Rampe out of deep defence more than he would like, Heeney had to slog it out for his possessions in big packs rather than the one-on-one he loves, we mostly stopped their corridor run except in the second quarter.

Walker and Rich are now top defenders - I think both would be best 22 in most teams. Defensively I think we still have a lot of work to do to get the right balance of speed, intercept marking, size, rebound and pressure but while Hodge is around we need to keep developing and tinkering to get it right.

Personally feel the second quarter was expected to happen. We jumped out early and just that small drop in concentration with the Swans coming out and raising it a level. I’m not overly concerned by it. The most pleasing thing is we we copped it on the chin and then took the game over again.

The balance now looks right with outside/inside run and think that this was noted by the commentary with our set up around the ball. For me Matho doesn’t come back in unless Lyons it another inside mid goes out.

The use of stats to define ones game is a waste of time IMO. It’s what you do without the ball and when you do have it how you then dispose of it and your decision making. I would say that there might not be any changes. Andrews was down at Coorparoo yesterday morning running laps etc so not sure where he is at. If fit he comes straight in for Hodge, give him a break.

No, but I’m bringing back the theatrical, back bending, arm pumping, 1970’s goal umpiring style. Might even run on and report someone.

A spot of advice from an experienced goal umpire: delay your call. Make your decision, count to three, then pump the fingers. If it is really close, count to five and the crowd will go mad.

Remember Richie Benaud, a pause is golden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting statistic which I’ve been shouted down for in the last month. Win ratio with bundy in the team = 0%.
Win ratio without bundy in the team =100%

Interesting....
Because Football is all about 1 person, yeah?

Personally feel the second quarter was expected to happen. We jumped out early and just that small drop in concentration with the Swans coming out and raising it a level. I’m not overly concerned by it.

I have to admit that I am a little concerned about it. I assume four quarter consistency will eventually come but what annoys me is that it is generally not poor execution that causes those poor quarters but rather a lack of effort and intensity. In that second quarter, dropped our pressure significantly, blokes were starting to cheat with their running and we weren’t putting our head over the footy consistently.

I’m not too down about the issue because we clearly performed well in those “effort” areas for the other three quarters so we have the capability. But playing hard for four quarters is a non-negotiable. It doesn’t mean you win every quarter but it means you are mentally switched on. And we aren’t so good as a side that guys can start fading to the attacking side of the contest instead of putting their heads over it. When we take short cuts or assume someone else will do the tough stuff, we are not a good side.

I have waited ten long years for this... to finally beat the Swans again. I had some Swans fans over for dinner, who I introduced to AFL, and opened a 2008 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier that I have been saving for such a night. Savoured every delicious drop. Very happy, a win is a win. Enjoy it all who call themselves Lions!

I opened a 2008 Mount Camel Ridge (Heathcote) shiraz and had a Stanton and Colleen muscat at the end

Just got to say it again: Cutler. He is going under the radar a bit but his performance since returning to the senior side is going to be his next step moment for me. Hes going to be something special for us that we always knew he could but we thought we'd missed out on.
Not lost on me and a few others that always knew Cutler is a pretty special player, but good on him for coming back in the team and getting on with it.

Finally ! Beating those Swanies , thank Christ to have that monkey off our back. We do have to get out shite together up forward , that many forward entries we should have flogged em but we made in hard for our selves, cannot do that going forward .

Great effort from Zorko , Rich and walker also fantastic , midfield showing class , Swanies time to rebuild a bit , papley is class , but too many holes and buddy ? Not sure what his future is other than a huge wallet

Because Football is all about 1 person, yeah?

We went on a three win streak last year without Harris Andrews, and have now just snapped a run of two bad losses again with two solid wins since Harro got injured again.

The science is settled. Delist Harro.

If only we had taken last night's first quarter intensity into the games against Essendon and Collingwood. Genuine A-grade stuff.

Yeah our early forward pressure and defensive intent in the corridor was at a similar level to what we did to West Coast. Just need to deliver that more consistently. It’s borderline impossible to withstand when we rev it right up.

Massive bowl of porridge for brekky.

Writing.

Listening to The Stones Singles 1968-1971

LIONS FIVE AND TWO.

DOES LIFE GET BETTER THAN THIS?

Looked at the sports section of the Courier Mail site last night.

Headline story was “How the Lions flipped the script” with a big picture of the boys celebrating.

The next headline below was “How bad are the Broncos?”

So to answer your rhetorical question... no, life does not get much better than this.

Last edited:
Massive bowl of porridge for brekky.

Writing.

Listening to The Stones Singles 1968-1971

LIONS FIVE AND TWO.

DOES LIFE GET BETTER THAN THIS?

Hell yes - next week when we are six and two. Then seven and two. Then eight and two..,.,
It’s gunna get way better

Looked at the sports section of the Courier Mail site last night.

Headline story was “How the Lions flipped the script” with a big picture of the boys celebrating.

The next headline below was “How bad are the Broncos?”

So to answer your rhetorical question... no, life does not get much better than this.

You know things are dire at the CM when they can’t even manage to pretend their love child, the Broncos, are worthy of the main sports story. I can just imagine the editors at that trashy manipulative rag of a paper having to grit their teeth and order a Lions story to feature ahead of a Broncos story.

It makes me smile.

Back