Player Watch #42 Robbie Fox - The Fantastic Mr Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

DAvciZcK.jpg

Robbie Fox

Player Profile

Capable of playing as a defender, shifting forward or pinch-hitting in the ruck, Robbie Fox is a versatile option for Sydney Swans coach John Longmire. The Tasmanian is also one of the best endurance runners at the club and can take a strong contested grab. Sydney rookie-listed Fox in November 2016 and he’s since fought hard to become a regular member of the Swans’ best 22. He played 11 senior matches in 2019. Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 34.

Robbie Fox

DOB: 16 April 1993
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Burnie Dockers (Tas)/Coburg Lions (VFL)

Last edited:
Fox works hard. Was one of the better runners, if not our best, in the pre-season.

Comes from Tassie and did not get the development others on the mainland got. Got picked up by Coburg and told he had a chance of making an AFL list if he knuckled down. He has. Also is a bit of a toughie who wont tolerate his team mates being bullied. Every team team needs one or two players like Fox.
Was always one of the first to get over and help at Coburg.

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
Fox works hard. Was one of the better runners, if not our best, in the pre-season.

Comes from Tassie and did not get the development others on the mainland got. Got picked up by Coburg and told he had a chance of making an AFL list if he knuckled down. He has. Also is a bit of a toughie who wont tolerate his team mates being bullied. Every team team needs one or two players like Fox.

All Mr Fox needs to do is run through Robo and his meathead mate Hodge.
That's the sort disposal count I want from Mr Fox.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
List clogger
No such thing as a list clogger on our list ATM.
They are all required players & all serve a purpose even if it means they won't be here next year. Right now they are all important to us & that is including Jack so everyone just settle down stop repeating all that's been said over the last 6 or so years about any of the players on our list.

He did more than Buddy last night.
Discuss!

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
No such thing as a list clogger on our list ATM.
They are all required players & all serve a purpose even if it means they won't be here next year. Right now they are all important to us & that is including Jack so everyone just settle down stop repeating all that's been said over the last 6 or so years about any of the players on our list.

He did more than Buddy last night.
Discuss!
Breaking news, fox played a better game last night than Lance Franklin who coincidentally didn't actually play. This could spell the end of a decorated career 3 years early. We'll have more on this story in just a moment Naomi

alex4445

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
He seemed to play mostly forward and since the ball went into our forward line approximately 4.5 times I dont think he had a lot of chances to do much.

Needs to be retained for the next few weeks so that he can adapt to the pace of the game and after that we can make the call whether he will play a role for the team into the future or if he will be delisted.

Bringing any player in for a single game and then expecting them to immediately perform at a high level when the team is as bad as it currently is is unfair IMO.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This is seriously pathetic reading. WTF is wrong with people talking the same rot defending players that come into this side repeatedly and couldn't get a ******* kick in a stampede ? Fox like Rose and those before them like Foote & Robinson should be nowhere near an AFL List. It is not as if these blokes are 19 year old draftees like Rowbottom or Mcinerney that need time to develop over a couple of years. You play Fox you might as well play short. He provides nothing but a witches hat in the zone. The longer they keep carrying players on this list year after year that would be at best above average VFL Players the longer our sinking into the mire will continue.

This is seriously pathetic reading. WTF is wrong with people talking the same rot defending players that come into this side repeatedly and couldn't get a ******* kick in a stampede ? Fox like Rose and those before them like Foote & Robinson should be nowhere near an AFL List. It is not as if these blokes are 19 year old draftees like Rowbottom or Mcinerney that need time to develop over a couple of years. You play Fox you might as well play short. He provides nothing but a witches hat in the zone. The longer they keep carrying players on this list year after year that would be at best above average VFL Players the longer our sinking into the mire will continue.

I tend to agree. Fox’s NEAFL form looks so vastly different to his senior form that you have to wonder if he’s just not up to the level. I know he needs a proper chance at senior footy and hasn’t had one, but this guy is in his mid 20s. He’s not a boy amongst men. At some point he just has to start cracking in and making his own luck. He just hasn’t done that.

I like Fox and the aggression he brings to the game give him a couple more games. I'd play him on Saad and tell him to jump on his toes, Saad like a number of the Dopers' is suspect to physical pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eventually we’ve gotta take a guy who dominates the midfield in the NEAFL, but isn’t up to AFL level, and turn him into nick smith’s replacement. Who’s it gonna be?

Good point. God/Lenin love him, Nick Smith has been one of the least naturally talented blokes to pull on a Bloods jumper. Still cannot kick over a jam tin and could not run out of sight on a foggy moonless night. But bloody hell he has possessed three great attributes - belief, extreme footy smarts and the ability to apply himself to the task.

Foxy did not start to take footy seriously until 3 or 4 years ago. Talent wise he is streets ahead of Nick. Just needs belief and commitment to apply himself. It would be great if he auditioned for and won the role.

Good point. God/Lenin love him, Nick Smith has been one of the least naturally talented blokes to pull on a Bloods jumper. Still cannot kick over a jam tin and could not run out of sight on a foggy moonless night. But bloody hell he has possessed three great attributes - belief, extreme footy smarts and the ability to apply himself to the task.

Foxy did not start to take footy seriously until 3 or 4 years ago. Talent wise he is streets ahead of Nick. Just needs belief and commitment to apply himself. It would be great if he auditioned for and won the role.

I don’t see why COR can’t do that role. I rate him better defensively than Fox, plus he provides a bit more run than Smith.

I don’t see why COR can’t do that role. I rate him better defensively than Fox, plus he provides a bit more run than Smith.

True. Still as I look at it, only Rampe and Allir are fixtures in our back six. Mills might move and Melican needs to earn his spot. Depending on who we play against our back six could accommodate both Fox and COR.

True. Still as I look at it, only Rampe and Allir are fixtures in our back six. Mills might move and Melican needs to earn his spot. Depending on who we play against our back six could accommodate both Fox and COR.

COR can at least find the pill and insert himself on the game if need be. Too many games where Fox has just been a passenger.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies

I always thought Smith was underrated for his speed/athleticism. He's certainly not Isaac Heeney in terms of athleticism or Lewis Jetta in terms of speed, but I can't count the number of times he has run down far quicker players and won a HTB decision. Or come from seemingly nowhere to effect a spoil in a marking contest. Or make up ground on his man on the lead. It's a combination of being quicker than he gets credit for and having supreme discipline and work ethic I suppose.

I always thought Smith was underrated for his speed/athleticism. He's certainly not Isaac Heeney in terms of athleticism or Lewis Jetta in terms of speed, but I can't count the number of times he has run down far quicker players and won a HTB decision. Or come from seemingly nowhere to effect a spoil in a marking contest. Or make up ground on his man on the lead. It's a combination of being quicker than he gets credit for and having supreme discipline and work ethic I suppose.

Nick Smith in general is just an absolute gun

Back