Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty would and you can add Kelly and Stephenson to those names as well to be in the mix.
A soon to be 25 year old Tim Kelly. And Adam Cerra over a 19 year old Aaron Naughton? Who’s literally carrying our forward line while not moving their until the last week of JLT this year. While also coming 4th in our best and fairest last year at 18 as a key defender?

You’re f*****g kidding 😂😂👍.
Stephenson is also a brilliant young player. But I would love to see them swap teams and see how Naughton would go in that great Collingwood side as the 3rd or 4th option like Stephenson currently is.

Last edited:

A soon to be 25 year old Tim Kelly. And Adam Cerra over a 19 year old Aaron Naughton? Who’s literally carrying our forward line while not moving their until the last week of JLT this year. While also coming 4th in our best and fairest last year at 18 as a key defender?

You’re f*****g kidding .
Stephenson is also a brilliant young player. But I would love to see them swap teams and see how Naughton would go in that great Collingwood side as the 3rd or 4th option like Stephenson currently is.

We get it, you're bias and like to use immature emojis. Cerra is going to be a very classy midfielder in a few years. You're getting way ahead of yourself, these guys have literally played like 20 games, but you're talking like Naughton is the next Carey. He won't play like that every week, last week was proof of that. I'm a massive Naughton fan and I'd love him in my team, but if he doesn't get help teams will put a lot of work into him and he's output won't be consistently good.

That just straight up isn't true.

He has kicked multiple goals only twice this season, he is not carrying that forward line. His hands are elite we all see that, he has a lot of upside but Kelly is playing at an AA level (or very close to it) you can not dismiss that just because of his age. An outstanding performance tonight and if he can play at this level regularly i will agree with you but we are still only seeing glimpses.

That just straight up isn't true.

He has kicked multiple goals only twice this season, he is not carrying that forward line. His hands are elite we all see that, he has a lot of upside but Kelly is playing at an AA level (or very close to it) you can not dismiss that just because of his age. An outstanding performance tonight and if he can play at this level regularly i will agree with you but we are still only seeing glimpses.
He’s carrying out forward line in the sense that structurally we are stuffed without him. Him getting the #1 every defender every single week. And because of his dominance in th air. He also gives the likes of Gowers and co a chance to attack the ball. Naughton will be a much better player when we find a replacement for Gowers in the draft and actually give him some help. And will look even better when we are able to draft a crumber once it hits the ground.

Cringeworthy bump
A cringeworthy bump you say?
I’ve seen some of the snarky posts in this thread that you’ve “liked” that are criticising Naughton. I’m 27 so missed a prime Carey. But to see Naughton absolutely take the piss last night and take the most contested grabs last night in a match since the great man. And go on to kick 5.3. Is absolutely warranted of a thread bump of those who have said Kelly, Cherra etc are better than him in that draft.

Re-watch his game last night and tell me how he wouldn’t be re-drafted #1 overall. Stevie Wonder would even know the 19 year old KPP Aaron Naughton is the correct answer. Looking forward to seeing what he can become. The fact he’s produced these kind of games after only moving forward in the last game of JLT this season is pretty unbelievable.

I’m sure your magpies will get back to being on the backpage of the paper by Monday. So don’t worry.

Last edited:
He’s carrying out forward line in the sense that structurally we are stuffed without him. Him getting the #1 every defender every single week. And because of his dominance in th air. He also gives the likes of Gowers and co a chance to attack the ball. Naughton will be a much better player when we find a replacement for Gowers in the draft and actually give him some help. And will look even better when we are able to draft a crumber once it hits the ground.

I’ve seen some of the snarky posts in this thread that you’ve “liked” that are criticising Naughton. I’m 27 so missed a prime Carey. But to see Naughton absolutely take the piss last night and take the most contested grabs last night in a match since the great man. And go on to kick 5.3. Is absolutely warranted of a thread bump of those who have said Kelly, Cherra etc are better than him in that draft.

Re-watch his game last night and tell me how he wouldn’t be re-drafted #1 overall. Stevie Wonder would even know the 19 year old KPP Aaron Naughton is the correct answer. Looking forward to seeing what he can become. The fact he’s produced these kind of games after only moving forward in the last game of JLT this season is pretty unbelievable.

I’m sure your magpies will get back to being on the backpage of the paper by Monday. So don’t worry.

He was brilliant last night but really poor the previous 2 weeks. Wait for some consistency before calling him as the clear number 1. Also the Tigers backline is missing their 2 best key backs.

You're kidding if Naughton isn't #1 from this draft right now. 4th in the B&F last year as an 18 year old key back. Now dominating games with contested marks in the forward half. These kind of KPP don't grow on trees and he's our best KPP draftee since Lake/Harris at least.

You're kidding if Naughton isn't #1 from this draft right now. 4th in the B&F last year as an 18 year old key back. Now dominating games with contested marks in the forward half. These kind of KPP don't grow on trees and he's our best KPP draftee since Lake/Harris at least.
As much I like Naughton he isn't my no 1 , Stephenson still my no 1. I do dislike Collingwood but they take a risk on him and it paid off.

Plenty would and you can add Kelly and Stephenson to those names as well to be in the mix.
The only clubs that wouldn't are those who have full KPP stocks. Reality is my friend, that Naughton has shown elite potential at both ends of the ground, and his 4th place B&F last year and best on ground performance last night support that. You'd have to go a fair while back to find a key forward aged 19 who had the impact Naughton just had on a game of footy. Stephenson, while I like him a lot, relies heavily on his pace and is in a very good system, unlike Naughton who is the spearhead of a dysfunctional forwardline. Cerra is a player with high potential and all, but the guys a midfielder for Christ's sake, a dime a dozen, and hasn't shown anything to the level Naughton has thus far. I really like Kelly, but the bloke is 25, six years older than the rest of these guys. Rayner is possibly the only one who has a chance of taking the mantle off Naughton in the future, but he has a tonne of work to do.

It's really unanimous at the moment, and that ain't bias. Check out this article by Knightmare, who probably has the most credibility across this front than anyone else. Keep in mind this is before Naughton has shown he can be elite up forward.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/26121298/afl-draft-doerre-reselecting-top-20-2017-draft

People criticising him for not kicking goals should remember he never played or trained as a forward in his life until 10 weeks ago. The fact that's he's already showing elite ability as a KPF is remarkable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People criticising him for not kicking goals should remember he never played or trained as a forward in his life until 10 weeks ago. The fact that's he's already showing elite ability as a KPF is remarkable.
They aren't criticizing him lol but it is enough for some people to not have him as the undisputed number 1 pick from this draft.

He did play forward for Peel Thunder as 17 years old.

Naughton has some work to do. Has some serious talent and those excellent hands. My issues are he gets lost and his positioning is very poor for a key forward. Things fell his way last night even though he was led to the ball by his opponent on various occasions. We have seen in other games that he leads to the wrong areas and does not work well with other forwards.

I get that he hasn't worked as a forward for very long so hopefully that forward craft will come with time.

Naughton has some work to do. Has some serious talent and those excellent hands. My issues are he gets lost and his positioning is very poor for a key forward. Things fell his way last night even though he was led to the ball by his opponent on various occasions. We have seen in other games that he leads to the wrong areas and does not work well with other forwards.

I get that he hasn't worked as a forward for very long so hopefully that forward craft will come with time.
He sometimes can get lost in positioning, and lead to the wrong spots. But as you said, what player wouldn’t who has only moved up forward as a key forward in the final week of JLT? He looked much more settled playing up there with Bontempelli than he has with Gowers who I think has no idea. He’s not exalty being helped too much by his teammates when Bont isn’t there to take some pressure of him. Let alone with some of the s**t delivery we give him most weeks.

You know Stephenson came in to Collingwood when they were regarded as having one of the most dysfunctional forward lines in the league right? The kid came in, played from day 1 and almost single handedly transformed our forward line with his speed, defensive pressure and goal kicking nous. This talk about him being a role player in a good team is nonsense. He walks in to any team in the league and automatically makes them better.

I like Naughton, and think he’ll be a gun, but all this talk from dogs supporters that he’s suddenly the unanimous number 1 pick after a couple of good games is nonsense...

How many games did he start as a forward for peel thunder?
I am not sure , Colt level he play 30-50% forward (swing men ) , senior level mainly Backman .My main point is you said he never play forward at any level is not true .

Dude chill.

Petch is from the same draft and kicked 5 goals as a small forward in a losing side a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not suggesting he is the standout best player from the draft. I actually think Naughton should stay in defence. Kelly is definitely the leader so far in terms of output.

I'm not suggesting he is the standout best player from the draft. I actually think Naughton should stay in defence. Kelly is definitely the leader so far in terms of output.

He is, but he is also 5 and a half years older then other players in the draft like Naughton.

When was the last 19 year old who could mark like Naighton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back