Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

Not taking his chances, but it must be difficult when you're getting picked for 1 game here and there and then being omitted again when not doing much wrong. Being made a scapegoat for last night is the easy way out, there were plenty of others who were poor last night who are much more experienced players than him. Still will be one who pays the price and gets sent back to the VFL, needs to keep working and be ready should another chance present itself. Not writing him off just yet, remember Townsend was all but done before fate stepped in and gave him a chance late 2017 to save his career.

Sir_Rancelot

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Not taking his chances, but it must be difficult when you're getting picked for 1 game here and there and then being omitted again when not doing much wrong. Being made a scapegoat for last night is the easy way out, there were plenty of others who were poor last night who are much more experienced players than him. Still will be one who pays the price and gets sent back to the VFL, needs to keep working and be ready should another chance present itself. Not writing him off just yet, remember Townsend was all but done before fate stepped in and gave him a chance late 2017 to save his career.
True and Townsend is still fighting for his career for some unknown reason.
Menadud isn't fit to tie Townsends laces.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
tumblr_nzytoi98pT1ujcvduo1_500.gif

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league

Spot on how about the seniors who basically let our kids carry the team yesterday.He was good before he got dropped as you said didn't help him I reckon he looks a confidence player.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
He was alright last night, barely made a mistake in fact. Some lovely ball use. He might have had 'only' 15 disposals but that's about standard for a half-back who doesn't take 8 kick-ins and get 14 round the back chipscab handball receives.

He had 6 intercepts, equal with Stack and behind only Vlastuin.

He was alright last night, barely made a mistake in fact. Some lovely ball use. He might have had 'only' 15 disposals but that's about standard for a half-back who doesn't take 8 kick-ins and get 14 round the back chipscab handball receives.

But you know Menadud just flows off the tongue and it's much easier to scapegoat a kid over experienced types who did very little.

Bulldogsnm1

All Australian
Aug 23, 2006
Altona
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
GWS

Good to see a post where facts are listed, certain posters on this board delight in making a call on a player and their eyes are so blinkered and they just want to be proved right. Doesn’t matter that the player plays for their team.

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

One of the few players that actually showed something vs the doggies.

Will still likely get dropped.. for someone. I'd honestly give the team a chance to bounce back.

ppl pot Dusty/Lynch/Meatball too i think
Nowhere near as quickly as they are to head to threads like this when a kid has a 'poor' game.

As richoatthedisco pointed out Menadues game wasn't as bad as some were making out. I didn't think he'd hold his spot as I thought Astbury would force him out but with Vlastuin a chance to miss I'd give him another crack and see how he goes.

McTiger

Senior List
Sep 24, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Glad none of you have sons that play, considering the crap posted. Can't say anything good then say nothing, he was far from the worst last night.
Menadue needs to be given continuity of games. I can't think of a bad footballer who has come from Tassie. If given more freedom to use his running ability I think the best is ahead of him.

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Lennon MKII
Lennon and Ellis (TI) lacked one thing that kills a footballer these days. No pace. Both could play, but neither had any toe. Graham and to a lesser extent Higgins are suffering form this. Broad is a 6ft 4 footballer with very good pace, otherwise no chance he would be playing.
Menadue has real pace and a very good kick and is only now just getting big/strong enough to play. Yes it has taken a long time. Will he make it, probably not because Stack has taken the only spot for him in our backline. But he deserves another shot, perhaps on the wing. Perhaps Stack could move to the wing, the forwards would love it.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Lennon and Ellis (TI) lacked one thing that kills a footballer these days. No pace. Both could play, but neither had any toe. Graham and to a lesser extent Higgins are suffering form this. Broad is a 6ft 4 footballer with very good pace, otherwise no chance he would be playing.
Menadue has real pace and a very good kick and is only now just getting big/strong enough to play. Yes it has taken a long time. Will he make it, probably not because Stack has taken the only spot for him in our backline. But he deserves another shot, perhaps on the wing. Perhaps Stack could move to the wing, the forwards would love it.
Menadue’s problem is his defensive side to his game. He constantly sits away from his opponent hoping he will get a cheap possession. Unfortunately for him his opponent burns him when this doesn’t happen. Brando is the same and there disposal efficiency will always be high bc of these soft possessions.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Honestly, I am not convinced Menadue is a backman. If not a midfielder I would even throw him forward but I agree he needs to improve his strength.

Seems to run in a lot of straight lines, what is his agility like?

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Menadue’s problem is his defensive side to his game. He constantly sits away from his opponent hoping he will get a cheap possession. Unfortunately for him his opponent burns him when this doesn’t happen. Brando is the same and there disposal efficiency will always be high bc of these soft possessions.
Fair observation and one you'd think the coaching panel could work out of him. Houli and Short had/have a similar problem, poor defensively. Houli is better now and his offence sort of compensated for that. Perhaps Menadue got away with it at VFL.

Back