Mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Be interesting if Freo drafted him just to see him try and forget his words on SM.

I’d rather see him continue to go undrafted.

Reckon I will too. From what I’ve seen at WAFL level I’ve seen other players on his team display AFL potential more than he does. I rated both Tim Kelly and Matthew Parker highly, and do so Marlion Pickett - if anyone from South Freo gets drafted it’s him.

Ausbenito

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder why Jacob Dragovich isnt nominating. Averaging 30+ ppg had 12 tackles today against eagles, got to love that.

Agree on this was thinking Dragovich could step straight into Gold Coast side but have also been thinking this about Pickett for 2 years and Kelly before this.
Saw a young guy playing for Subiaco yesterday Jack Mayo born 99 a good size and beautiful left foot kick anyone know much more about him looks a quality player of the future.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree on this was thinking Dragovich could step straight into Gold Coast side but have also been thinking this about Pickett for 2 years and Kelly before this.
Saw a young guy playing for Subiaco yesterday Jack Mayo born 99 a good size and beautiful left foot kick anyone know much more about him looks a quality player of the future.

Spreads well from the contest I believe.

did he put on a clinic?

PintofPale

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keep a lid on it

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
bullshit5.gif

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
If your 2nd team developing your junior players is important to then it's not a terrible idea to plug a structural hole for the second half of the year, that the key player you pinch could be from a dominant team would be a side effect.

West Coast might need another mature mid, pinch a Subiaco mid with the plan that they'll never see the AFL
I am over my beloved Old Easts developing talent for 20 years but with no league success.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Just done a comparison for a Medium Fwd / Mid (Pickett also runs off half back) for the Mini Draft over the last 10 games

Ben Sokol - 23 yo (includes 2 finals) - 186cm / 85kg
Disp : 16
Mark : 8.5
Goal : 2.6
Tackle : 2.6

Marlion Pickett - 27 yo (includes 3 finals) - hasn't played this year? - 184cm / 84kg
Disp : 21.6
Mark : 6.0
Goal : 1.0
Tackle : 5.0

Michael Bennell - 25yo - 188cm / 70kg
Disp : 8.9
Mark : 3.2
Goal : 2.2
Tackle : 3.6

My take on the 3:
Sokol : could play 3rd tall or tall pressure forward role. Has a very good tank so possibly run through the midfield. Still only 23. Great mark.
Pickett : plays anywhere from HB to HF (even stints in the ruck!). Very creative, quick and smart ball user. Plug and play. Age not on his side. Not sure about personal life issues now?
Bennell : high half forward, good tackle numbers. good goal accuracy. Light framed, not sure how that would transfer to AFL. Awkward height to match up on. Low disposal numbers but very high disposal to goal average

All 3 could probably find themselves on an AFL list. I know we don't have a pick but just some considerations.

What do you think? Any others that might be worth looking at.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
"Lyon: Peter Bell is overlooking everything to do with the mid-season draft but we need to see if there’s a player that is a right fit for our list. If there was a player in the lower leagues we would like them to be young, so we can add to players like Cerra and Brayshaw"

Seems to rule out a Marlion Pickett, Jye Bolton type

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is he the whole egg or one of those pretenders!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
There was a Fox Sports mentioning this this morning:
Fairfax Media also reported that Western Jets midfielder Daly Andrews has also been spoken to by Fremantle, which currently doesn’t have an opening on its list.
If we pick him up, are we allowed to delist him at the end of the year because he's not good?

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
There was a Fox Sports mentioning this this morning:
Fairfax Media also reported that Western Jets midfielder Daly Andrews has also been spoken to by Fremantle, which currently doesn’t have an opening on its list.
Projects a bit like Langdon. Fast, good endurance but a bit more contested.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
If we pick him up, are we allowed to delist him at the end of the year because he's not good?
I think so. Looks like you can sign up to short term contract with minimum payments
- Clubs must have a rookie-list spot available or a registered inactive player to be eligible to participate in the draft

- If an inactive, injured player is fit to play before the season ends, a club can apply to return that player to the primary list in place of another long-term injured player

- Players must have nominated for the most-recent National Draft or previously been on an AFL list

- Players who have committed to another year with a Northern or Next Generation Academy are ineligible

- A delisted player can't be re-selected by the same club in the period following their delisting

- A retired player, such as Cyril Rioli, or a player who delists himself must be out of the AFL for at least one full season to be eligible

- Players must submit their contract terms when nominating

- A player on a short-term contract ending on October 31 the same year receives a minimum of $50,000, with a further $20,000 if they are not re-signed or picked up as a delisted free agent

- A player on a contract that ends on October 31 the following year is subject to the same terms as any other player

- An AFL club can re-sign a player as per the current rookie-list rules, otherwise the player becomes a delisted free agent

- The AFL will send the full nomination list to all AFL clubs and state league bodies

- An AFL club must pay 50 per cent of any advance payments to a drafted player's previous club before they are eligible to play a game

- Drafted players who stay in their original state cannot play against their former club unless all parties agree

- A player can return to their former club for finals if their services are no longer required by the AFL club that drafts them

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
What is the story on Haiden Schloite? He seemed to be a shoe in for being drafted after his sandover year and followed it up with a fairly solid year and still no drafting?

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
Ah. Probably not want you want for culture. I know I spoke about it previously, and no offence to our blonde boys (Ryan, Cox), but it's probably exacerbated by the dyed blonde hair :tearsofjoy:

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Just done a comparison for a Medium Fwd / Mid (Pickett also runs off half back) for the Mini Draft over the last 10 games

Ben Sokol - 23 yo (includes 2 finals) - 186cm / 85kg
Disp : 16
Mark : 8.5
Goal : 2.6
Tackle : 2.6

Marlion Pickett - 27 yo (includes 3 finals) - hasn't played this year? - 184cm / 84kg
Disp : 21.6
Mark : 6.0
Goal : 1.0
Tackle : 5.0

Michael Bennell - 25yo - 188cm / 70kg
Disp : 8.9
Mark : 3.2
Goal : 2.2
Tackle : 3.6

My take on the 3:
Sokol : could play 3rd tall or tall pressure forward role. Has a very good tank so possibly run through the midfield. Still only 23. Great mark.
Pickett : plays anywhere from HB to HF (even stints in the ruck!). Very creative, quick and smart ball user. Plug and play. Age not on his side. Not sure about personal life issues now?
Bennell : high half forward, good tackle numbers. good goal accuracy. Light framed, not sure how that would transfer to AFL. Awkward height to match up on. Low disposal numbers but very high disposal to goal average

All 3 could probably find themselves on an AFL list. I know we don't have a pick but just some considerations.

What do you think? Any others that might be worth looking at.

For mine Sokol doesn't have enough speed or other tricks to play AFL.

Marlion Pickett - somewhat flashy player who can play lots of role sort of okay but not sure of role at AFL level and doesn't have age on his side. Pass.

Michael Bennell - has a game that is imo transferrable to AFL. I was a fan last year and would have had no issues with him being taken late in last years National draft. Don't know about mid-season, would wait again till the end of the year. Also not sure we would be that happy about the lack of pressure he applies currently when ball is not in our possession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back