patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
This thread was inspired by the mention of the likes of Lester, Taylor and Cutler in the review thread. This is the thread to discuss those who might not rack up the possessions or the goals or be the flashy players, but they get in and play their role, often being looked over or even becoming whipping boys to those less edumacated.

Role-players are just as important as the flashy goal-kickers or the possession sponges. Without them, there is no stability in the team. The flashy players can change games yes, but the role-players are the ones that keep the ship steady in hard weather.

And yes, I had to bring my boy into it. He's the epitome of this trope.

Josh Walker- Doing a wonderful job down back, great intercept marking, can shut down a forward and has reliable disposal. He's OOC at the end of the year, before the season he was a prime delisting candidate, has done enough in 6 games to earn himself an extension IMO.

Josh Walker- Doing a wonderful job down back, great intercept marking, can shut down a forward and has reliable disposal. He's OOC at the end of the year, before the season he was a prime delisting candidate, has done enough in 6 games to earn himself an extension IMO.
Yeah, I'd be shocked if he wasn't at least a two year extension; has been one our of most consistent since he came back into the side mid last year.

Ryan Lester. Has been bagged for over 100 games, but every time he is called on, he does his job. And when he is relegated, he goes back to the ressies and does all he can to help those junior to develop and replace him. The ultimate club man. Highly respected within the Lion's sanctum.

p.s. Good thread, pk.

Still has a while to go defensively IMO. Wasn't all that good on the weekend against an average forward let alone on one of the better forwards. Couple of shocking kicks too. Still his spot to lose.

Darcy Gardiner. Is partially appreciated but not fully I think. Deserves a mention considering the body of work he's put in over the first half his career and that some people were still questioning his form after the first few rounds. Should hopefully play his 100th game this season despite some serious injuries during his career. Darcy is probably our most versatile defender, now in the leadership group, he was 4th in the BnF last year and is one tough competitive bastard. You need players like Gardiner if you're to win a premiership.

Ryan Lester. Has been bagged for over 100 games, but every time he is called on, he does his job. And when he is relegated, he goes back to the ressies and does all he can to help those junior to develop and replace him. The ultimate club man. Highly respected within the Lion's sanctum.

p.s. Good thread, pk.

A guy who can play whatever role needed will always be appreciated by the coaches, if not all the fans. Coaches are well aware of his abilities and weaknesses. I think sometimes some supporters only see the weaknesses.

Still has a while to go defensively IMO. Wasn't all that good on the weekend against an average forward let alone on one of the better forwards. Couple of shocking kicks too. Still his spot to lose.

Imo I think his offensive work needs more work than his defensive game. His bread and butter as a defender is intercept marking and against many of his opponents he outreads them. As our only big man I agree his spoiling/ground hall defence is a worry but with Andrews there is a good foil to what Andrews brings to the table.

Robert Copeland may be a good example from our flag teams

Craig McRae - Forward pressure exponent before it was trendy. Only played 195 games and thought that it was more.

Craig McRae - Forward pressure exponent before it was trendy. Only played 195 games and thought that it was more.

I'd add Marcus Ashcroft to this list. Could shut don virtually any forward, didn't get a lot of the ball himself because it wasn't his job. Just to shut them down. Didn't get the outside credit he should have while playing.

Yeah, Ashcroft was a legend. So happy he got to taste flag success as a player.

Great thread Kez :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, everyone knows I have a soft spot for the hard workers who never seem to be appreciated. Even when Joel won his B&Fs there were plenty to point out that he wasn't a goalkicker or possession sponge. I figured we could use a thread for those soldiers.

Well, everyone knows I have a soft spot for the hard workers who never seem to be appreciated. Even when Joel won his B&Fs there were plenty to point out that he wasn't a goalkicker or possession sponge. I figured we could use a thread for those soldiers.
Great thread Kezz. Should help lift the quality of discussion about some of the border line 22 player who make the team and the club.

Thinking about the 32s, Stiller and Hart

Stef Martin - certainly not the flashiest ruckman going around and has copped his fair share of criticism on this board over the years and is certainly one that deserves some appreciation for what he has done since he was brought back into the team in the second half of 2014 when Matthew Leuenberger and then Trent West went down. Stef resurrected his career as a result and would've gone close to being delisted at the end of 2014 but for his massive turnaround. Not only that, but he in a way revolutionised the skill set a modern ruckman now required i.e. to be an extension of the midfield. In old parlance, he was the quintessential "ruck rover" that player ruck.

The great Bushy - did a great job on Buckley. I was there that grand final and you could hear Buckley complaining and whinging and his own team mates wouldn't use him Bushy was so tight on him. I think in boxing terms Copeland would be called a street brawler, to beat him you had to take a long stick. The aussie battler and great servant.

As far as past eras go, Max Kennedy is one that should get more recognition than he deserves. Unfortunately his career was coming to an end as the glory days approached, was an emergency for our first Premiership and retired at the end of 2001. Max did play a massive part in the early days of the Brisbane Lions and the Bears finals campaigns in the mid 90's. Above all else, Max is a top lad.

FWIW I think Patfull wasn’t really under appreciated. He might not have been flashy but informed Lions supporters knew what a super consistent performer and crucial contributor he was.

Last edited:
FWIW I think Patfull wasn’t really under appreciated. He might not have been flashy but informed Lions supporters knew what a super consistent performer and crucial contributor he was.
Informed supporters yes, however for the most part fans pretty much looked him over. A fair few even questioned his awards (heathens).

Just also want to put a good word in for Sqizzy and his 5 tackles last night. Also had 3 score involvements and 100% disposal efficiency.

I'm a bit with you there Jackess . I'm not convinced . But his big advantage is that he's versatile ,can go forward or back and do a bit of rucking. Had a purple patch earlier in the season.

Really love what Darce brings every week .Always contesting on big or smaller opponents and probably the best spoiler going around.

Mitch likewise , can tag and still kick goals , never going less than full throttle.

Stef Martin another under appreciated imo.

He's held us together when we weren't going so hot by providing a contest against more talented opponents for a long time.

We know he's not the most skillful player going around but his athleticism , contested work and heart to keep going all day is hard to beat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back