Autopsy Round 7 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly we are at a transition. It's not going to happen overnight... But I don't expect us to be down too long. I trust our club to do what is right. They haven't let me down in making GFs for a decade. Constant finals. Always challenging. Always a chance.

We've been giving kids like Mills, Hewy, Heenz, Naisy & Paps all solid early games experience... Finals, lots of senior experience with our previous core group to learn & build from.

Adding guys like Ronke, Hayward, McCartin, Melican, Dawson & (finally after a long delay) Aliir.

Then we have COR, Blakey, Rowbottom, Fox, Pink, Cameron & others coming through that are exciting & have fantastic potential.

It's just that transition from our previous core to this new core that we need to be patient about... I'd love to see Mills unleashed into the midfield. Heeney too. With Hewy, Dawson, Rowbottom & Paps occassionally slotting in too... That's a pretty good core group right there IMO.

It just needs time. I hope the coaches bite the bullet & give them time this season to build together.

Eventually with Blakey, McCartin & Hayward being our key forwards. Ronke our Schnieder-type small forward. Melican, Aliir, Ramps make a pretty good core defence to build around.

An overlooked issue IMO is replacing Smith. That should be a big focus as his decline & absence has correlated perfectly with our decline. Likewise with Reg (although I am a big Melican fan & think he & Aliir will be our next Teddy/Reg combo).

Fox for Smith is my guess.

It might surprise some that our attack has been somewhat mid-table in 2019, and it is our defence that is disgustingly bad.

Aliir, Rampe, Melican, Lloyd et al have conceded 656 points so far, only Melbourne has conceded more (675). Are we really missing 32yo Grundy and 30yo Smith so badly? Are the current defenders just not much chop? Is it the fault of Josh Kennedy's support crew of Parker, Hewett, Heeney etc?

A quick analysis of the numbers points a very strong finger at the latter. The midfield's alleged "support" are conceding huge amounts of inside 50s. The AFL average inside 50s per match is 52.95, and so far we have let in an average of 61.57

Rampe has been better than average for defensive contested % loss rate, Aliir, Melican and Cunningham have been about average. The only standout poor performer is Jake Lloyd who is again our worst defender. It is the volume, and quality, of ball leaking through the midfield that is causing the majority of the problems
Yes agree. Most bigfooty supporters know this. Facebook groups are way off the pace in understanding whats going on. Most seem to think we might still be a finals chance.

Yes agree. Most bigfooty supporters know this. Facebook groups are way off the pace in understanding whats going on. Most seem to think we might still be a finals chance.

I still think we can make finals... #eternaloptimist

(Edit: I don't think we will though)

Reality?
15% of the salary cap sitting in the stands.

This remains the most ludicrous line consistently aired on BF. Jack 500+, McVeigh 500+, Reg 450+, Smith 450+. Last year Hanners 800, Grohan 450+ and who knows what Rhymes with Dirt is still on. On one leg Buddy has outplayed this collective barn of turkeys.

This remains the most ludicrous line consistently aired on BF. Jack 500+, McVeigh 500+, Reg 450+, Smith 450+. Last year Hanners 800, Grohan 450+ and who knows what Rhymes with Dirt is still on. On one leg Buddy has outplayed this collective barn of turkeys.

Agree.
Buddy is not the problem.
He has earned every cent.

The problem is 6-8 over paid blokes. Some of whom are average, some are well below average.

I suspect Horse just knows that Reid, for better or for worse, is arguably our best tall all-rounder. Being in and out with injuries hasn't helped him develop consistency but it'll come. In 2017, after a year off, he took a while to hit his best. As long as he continues to compete he'll be safe.

But that is the problem.

Because the club has over-rated Reid - we havent bothered to recruit another tall. Which leaves Reid as our best all round tall even though he isnt very good.

The problem is that he IS our best all round tall and we are stuck with him.

If the list managers were more savvy they would have realised he (and Tippett) were bog average and tried to find someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a team ever come from 18th after Rd 7 and made the 8? I would say never.

We were 17th in 2017 after Rd 7.

That was a one off freak. Wont be happening this year. That is for sure.

Well there has only been 18 teams since GWS game in, so no lol.

Though if you said last place then Fitzroy take the honours by winning a premiership from last place in 1916 (only 4 teams in the comp due to the war).

I honestly think 2 impactful players changes this club's trajectory massively. If we can pick up the number 1 pick and somehow trade to get another in the top 5 or via FA we can bounce back up quickly.

I certainly don't leave some of the young(ish) players free from accountability though.
Heeney wasn't up for the battle today. Maybe he just got beaten on the day? It happens.
Florent is in his 3rd year now - has a lot of games into him and served up a 7 possession game. It's simply not getting the job done in that position. Even if he was tagging ( I couldn't tell on tv), it's not winning enough of it. He might be some nice sugar on a really good team, hard to tell. 2 - 3 at a stretch, good games this year so far?

Of the senior players JPK is our best midfield bull, but butchers so many disposals and just basically goes for the hack forward by hand or foot nearly every chance he gets.
I'd play JPK forward a lot more from now and see who of our young players is up for winning the ball and effectively disposing it. It is irrelevant if that makes us a worse team this year. Rowbottom next week. Mills soon (give him two games in the NEAFL first to play 100% mids). Hewett showed he is ready to do a good job for us in the middle.

OUT: Cunningham (inj), Jack, Florent, Mills (managed - to reset to midfield in 2 weeks)
IN: COR, Rowbottom, Rose*, Stoddart

May as well see what Rose has - he is one player who doesn't fly for everything, nor get sucked into the contest - but actively hovers the packs looking for the outlet ball. We REALLY need that.
Stoddart at least has the capability of getting us moving quickly into attack if played of the HB flank by taking the game on.

Maybe these changes can wait a week given Essendon next, but I want all our next gen playing against Norf - it's our most important game of the year.;)

Florent is one of our best youngsters and you simply don't drop a quality youngster from a rebuilding team because of one bad game. That's not rebuilding, that's demolition.

Not sure I trust the current club set up to get it right

I agree. We could have the best list in the comp and I don't think we'd be seeing the results we'd expect. Something's amiss at our club atm and the most frustrating part is that I can't actually pin-point what or who it is that's contributing to it.

FFS why was McInerney and Rowbottom in the ressies , absolute ******** !

Agree with your sentiment Bedders but I do think Horse was right re McInerney. He looked lost in his one senior appearance so he wouldn't improve our side at all, and even in NEAFL he's drifting in and out of form. A solid run in the reserves will do him the world of good.

Guys,

We do not have ONE elite ball user on our list. NOT ONE!!

I sometimes wonder what people expect from this severely limited playing list.

Horse is not blameless here, but to paraphrase my grandmother - you cannot make a pie out of crap!

Guys,

We do not have ONE elite ball user on our list. NOT ONE!!

I sometimes wonder what people expect from this severely limited playing list.

Horse is not blameless here, but to paraphrase my grandmother - you cannot make a pie out of crap!

When they don't run, look disinterested, lack fitness, panic under pressure, set up plays the wrong way, don't tackle etc.

I think that's all on the coach and whatever he's doing/not doing at training throughout the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back