Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping that we had put that kind of performance behind us after the effort that had been shown in the previous rounds but alas that was wrong.
At halftime Mackay, Silvagni, LOB Cuningham Philips and Casboult had a combined 3 effective possessions you cannot compete with such minimal contributions from so many players. 12 players totalled 23 effective disposals to half time with levels that low and no side could be close to being competitive.
Yes we had an inexperienced side out there today but too many players spectating at contests and the deplorable kicking coming out of the backline are just so frustrating to watch.

there is no use dropping him...its not like he is going to train hard and comeback and play differently....club should just pay him out and a play one of the younger guys instead...

Won't drop him. Will play until end of year then if no improvement a discussion needs to happen. Last 2 weeks when needed he hasn't stepped up

Can't all be done at once but it does need to be addressed this year. Losing Kruezer Newman McGovern & Simpson (on top of Docherty) all at once really hurt.
Soapy this is true and I think everyone would agree. My concern is how much longer can we rely on Kruzer..he is an absolute champion but his body just doesnt seem to hold up..Also Simmo may only have next year left and whilst Mcgovenr is a valuable senior player he also seems to be another that is injury prone...Not sure how Doc will go either...Murphy is clearly not showing much at all.

A rebuild that appeared to be on track now seems may still have a few holes in it...specially in the senior age bracket..How do you see things panning out this coming draft?

As young as we were I can't believe some people are so accepting of being belted at this stage of the rebuild. The losing culture has spread to the supporters.

There's virtually no excuse for that level of performance (first 3 quarters mostly).

Heat will come on Bolton and rightly so. Everybody around us in similar positions has gone past us.

That was hard to watch, the cupboard is bare for replacements.

Expecting individual player to cop a hiding in here, some posters live for it.

Might be one of those games that happens to a young side, 5 players with 100+ games experience and all would struggle to get a game in any other side. That is the reality of where we are at.

Sick of seeing our players get bullied, hope the players have also had enough and make a stand now, if not, all teams have a blueprint of how to beat us.

Well done Liam Stocker playing his first game and Ed getting to 150, pity it was such a **** show. Hope Liam Jones is okay.

Not much positive to come out of this game.

You expect that from one of the competitions better sides, not a complete domination from the word go from the side last on the ladder. We were beyond poor, effort was atrocious.

I think Scott had their game plan/style set coming into the game, using their size and experience as an advantage they heavily rolled numbers as close up to the contest all over the ground, often having everyone in one half of the ground making it a heavily contested game allowing us no time and space to get the ball out into a position to move it on with any quick ball movement, this played right into their hand. Our pressure, tackling, decision making and positioning was embarrassing, simply nowhere good enough whether under pressure or not.
Whenever they won the ball themselves or back off us they simply just spread and ran with ease, running to space and areas in numbers that we either couldn't run with or wouldn't run too with them, unfortunately after showing great promise in the opening games particularly the last two weeks this effort really kicks ya in the guts.
I'm expecting a massive response this week, get back on track Blues...

Last edited:
We are at our youngest. Why would we be past these types of losses?

And talent is just that, talent. We need them to mature before we get past losses like this.
Wtf?
You don’t need experience to display effort, courage and pride.
Plowman having a laugh at half time, great ****** example and leadership for the young players.
If you can excuse any one bloody dam thing from today then you have morphed into this pathetic culture we have cultivated at this s club for far too long.

The problem for so many of you is this.
You analyse how the game makes you feel. And post stupid things because of it.
Try and analyse the actual situation.
I would say that anyone that thought we would be a chance in this match with all those outs
With an opponent licking its wounds. At that ground.
Needs their head read.

Thats the actual reality. I cant quite work out how so many suppporters expect more than 5 or 6 wins this year.
But we got another game into the kids. Debuted another. Fought back in the last. Forget the result. It is irelevant.
Its 50 to 70 games these players need. And three good preseasons.

Thinks it’s ******* funny that we’ve got 1 goal at half time and your teammate has literally had his lights put out.
Too many easy games gifted to some masquerading as AFL footballers at this club.
If you don’t feel and you don’t hurt you can’t win....That should be highlighted Nail and he should be dealt with....publicly.
dont know about publicly but club needs to talk to him about it..

Are we going to set standards at our club or not?

Whats your issue? You want to defend a so called leader and former captain who refuses to put in effort and is shirking it week after week? Go ahead.
My issue is, after a decade of being forced to play a position to which he is unsuited - as an inside mid in an era in which inside midfielders are giants, not simply when compared to other eras of football but compared to society at large - and wearing hits you couldn't wear at your best, you have the gall to come on here and to call him a fraud.

To reward such loyalty and effort on your behalf with such joie de vivre.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I understand what people are saying about our inexperience today, the performance was dispiriting. Regardless of North's difference in age profile, I believe we still had a talented side on the field and as such I was dismayed by the lack of effort.

Players such as Murphy showed a lack of intensity going for the contested ball, and the turnovers were comical.

All teams have poor days, so I'm not calling for mass sackings, but questions will need to be asked of the coaching department if we see repetitions of today's standard.

Dude; there were 13 players for North (thirteen) with 100+ games... vs our 5 (five).

We played a whopping 11 players 21 or younger. They had 4.

No side plays more than 4 or 5 x 21 year olds. We played 11 of them

It showed, big time. We were outmuscled in the clinches, they fed the ball to their outside players with ease, and then we got outran, and brushed aside.

No amount of coaching or skill makes a player faster, stronger, bigger and tougher. That comes from pre-seasons and hours in the legs and at the gym.
I’m not disputing we had more younger inexperienced players than north.

I’m saying even with all the experience and mature bodied players, north in my view is an average/poor team, not a top 8 team.

The differential today wasn’t just due to discrepancy in ages and no. of games, imo. We were off today and I expected us to better in disposals and skills based on the the last 3 weeks.

Robert Walls is a has been and not a valid appointment in that role. The whole coaching panel is not quick enough to react to opposition....need wholesale changes to the support team, not the head coach.

Murphy is such a disappointment. Needs to be demoted to the twos until he shows some desire to be out there.

So much more to be embarrassed about....the club can make a statement at selection...let's see if they have the guts to do it
If you think Walls is not valid then you’re going to get a rude shock my friend. He ain’t there to pat Bolton on the back he’s there because of the massive investment the club has put into drafting and trading and rebuilding the list. Mark my words if he’s of the mind that Bolton and his coaches aren’t up to the task at hand then Bolton is s dead man walking.

This was North Melbourne
Absolutely unacceptable and no excuses for that disgusting performance.
David Teague at half time interview, this is the first thing that came out of his mouth:
“ North have been terrific”
No! No they haven’t ! We have been pathetically awful and have let the worst team in the AFL embarrass all of us.

This is what you get for dishing out pats on the back for honourable losses.

Our culture is dead , gone , buried forever.

We should be past these type of losses by now, enough is enough. With the talent available there are no more excuses.

Very happy to have Robert Walls running his eye over the whole place because something stinks and he needs to flush it out and exterminate it with his take no prisoners style. I would advise Barker , Bruce, Fraser and others to sleep with one eye open because I promise you the boogie man is coming and his name rhymes with Robert Walls.

Why are we the only club, that should be past these type of losses?

Are we alone in losing by 10 goals?

The problem for so many of you is this.
You analyse how the game makes you feel. And post stupid things because of it.
Try and analyse the actual situation.
I would say that anyone that thought we would be a chance in this match with all those outs
With an opponent licking its wounds. At that ground.
Needs their head read.

Thats the actual reality. I cant quite work out how so many suppporters expect more than 5 or 6 wins this year.
But we got another game into the kids. Debuted another. Fought back in the last. Forget the result. It is irelevant.
Its 50 to 70 games these players need. And three good preseasons.

You make some good points but that was still significantly below what we should consider acceptable. They are not quality opposition.

If we fall into 2-3 more of those 2018 performances Bolton won't survive and I think our ability to attract good talent from other clubs will be greatly reduced

As young as we were I can't believe some people are so accepting of being belted at this stage of the rebuild. The losing culture has spread to the supporters.

There's virtually no excuse for that level of performance (first 3 quarters mostly).

Heat will come on Bolton and rightly so. Everybody around us in similar positions has gone past us.
thats it.when do the excuses end...each year we hear same stuff,there young,this and that...doesnt mean they cant be producing better than this always,how can sam walsh be our 2nd best mid in his first year.and players nearly 4 years in,are just going.......its the coach.and our development of players,which is the worst in the comp.

The lack of reaction from the team to the bump on Liam Jones and subsequent outcome says a bit about our overall lack of care today. It was an innocent enough action but it had big consequences and only Crippa went over to see how Liam was.

This is totally untrue. Weitering went to Jones immediately and so did another 5 Carlton players within 20 or so metres.

A disgraceful post to insinuate the players don't care about each other!

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Soapy this is true and I think everyone would agree. My concern is how much longer can we rely on Kruzer..he is an absolute champion but his body just doesnt seem to hold up..Also Simmo may only have next year left and whilst Mcgovenr is a valuable senior player he also seems to be another that is injury prone...Not sure how Doc will go either...Murphy is clearly not showing much at all.

A rebuild that appeared to be on track now seems may still have a few holes in it...specially in the senior age bracket..How do you see things panning out this coming draft?

Probably a LM discussion but I have no issue with the rebuild at this stage. We have the young talent and that is the hardest. They are also getting games. Have Docherty Simpson Newman Kruezer McGovern all fit and things are different .

I have said it a lot but we need to add 5-6 very good 24-28 year olds at years end. A ruck must be one and 1-2 mids as well. Just can't expect young players to compete at this level for 4 quarters. Today showed that badly IMO

Another 10-15 games and a pre season into our younger players plus Docherty Simpson Newman Kruezer McGovern and say Papley Menegola Darcy Cameron Martin and Ellis as examples things look very different

Today was bad but it doesn't change anything for me

Back