Roast Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the correct view. He was fine last year, but this year has been anaemic: why? I mentioned his disposal in the JLT, and it has basically continued, totally different from last year. All this talk about playing for salary is disgraceful, and I do hope that reading social media has not contributed to his situation.

He does look so laid-back that he's comatose this year. I suggested early in the season that there might be something wrong with him, physically or mentally. I've seen no reason to change this opinion. Perhaps, he needs a rest to address any issues, not increased pressure from us.
I noticed as early as the JLT something seemed off with him mentally. No point in forcing a player to play who is dealing with problems if this is the case.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw him in the long sleeve, I said ooh no.
I think he knew he was going to get cold with the amount of effort he put in tonight
Has anyone ever played a good game in long sleeves?

Out of players who don't usually wear them I mean.

It's one level down from dying your hair blonde IMO

Luke Ryan dyed his hair and he dominated today (as I was worried he might).

My shoulder dislocated 3-4 times before I’d left school footy. In year 12 I’d had a putti platter. Wearing a long sleeve guernsey made me feel complete. If you’ve had your arm fall downward and hang painfully from your shoulder you’d understand why a long sleeve guernsey is important. I wore those things in the hottest of trial games. But then I’d had my shoulder half way down my arm on numerous occasions,

Seems to float around getting the easy touch. Like a seagull
Seagulls actually fight for possession though... you see that when you through a hot chip at a group of them...a big pack forms and they fight over it...

Gibbs doesn’t seem to even want to get his jumper dirty let alone get to the bottom of a pack and win the “chip”..

Gibbs just isn’t putting effort in. There was a play on the wing in the first quarter where a freo player was running with the ball. Instead of running diagonally at pace to put pressure on, Gibbs just kept on jogging straight up the ground. This allowed the freo player to cut in board and deliver to half forward instead of being kept up against the boundary. Just no effort at all from Gibbs.

Gibbs isn't a defender and the experiment of playing him there should end. He's a midfielder or half forward, not an intercepting or rebounding back man. Needs to be around the centre clearances and delivering the ball into our forward 50 to the advantadge of Walker instead of being 100m away. Just isn't getting the opportunity to play to his strengths right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing Bryce Gibbs in defence reminds me of Carlton ******* up the Dale Thomas acquisition and playing him in defence in the twilight of his career
The trade was ****ed up regardless where we play him. Never saw what the fuss was about with this guy. Won't tolerate someone jogging from contest to contest with the passion of a flea. Said it before but it seems like he has a spell on certain people that he was a superstar. We should never have offered any more than a 2nd rounder for this guy. He is an average declining 30 year old running around solely for the cash and to increase his super. Sanfl needs to be his spot.

Last edited:
Playing Bryce Gibbs in defence reminds me of Carlton ******* up the Dale Thomas acquisition and playing him in defence in the twilight of his career
Yes

Start of year two in a four year contract and he’s already not in our best midfield.

Credit to Pyke for having the guts to improve our midfield by getting Gibbs out of it.

Also our defence has looked more coherent since Gibbs has gone back there, but whether he is a cause of that I can’t tell from TV.

Gibbs isn't a defender and the experiment of playing him there should end. He's a midfielder or half forward, not an intercepting or rebounding back man. Needs to be around the centre clearances and delivering the ball into our forward 50 to the advantadge of Walker instead of being 100m away. Just isn't getting the opportunity to play to his strengths right now.
He hasn't been good in the middle this year.

I reckon he loved it last year when he was the main man.

This year we have all our main mids back and he has been pushed down the order.

Rather than accept this and rip it up with less opposition attention he seems to have decided to coast through to retirement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You’re a doctor, if you’re not right, then you’re not right. The only way to a flag is that every player is held accountable for their performance. Nobody cares about players having excuses as to why they were ****. You’re either right and benefitial or you’re not right and a liability. It’s not rocket science.
There’s 2 types of “right” (to play):
- fully fit, not coming back from an illness/injury
- declared fit, back from illness/injury

You mentioned previously you had a bad shoulder dislocation. Did you pull out a blinder in your first game back from that injury?

He came in off a limited pre season and has had a disrupted year. Probably needs a spell of 2-4 matches in the magoos to get match fitness, then he will have confidence in his body. He'd have got those matches if Seeds hadn't injured himself, if we do the right thing now, he can be an important player for the second half of the year
He got 27 disposals in the week prior to the demotion back to SANFL. Most of them poor quality ones. It seems he’s not quite mentally switched on for whatever reason in this season, not just poor fitness alone.

See this is the sort of s**t that makes me realize that most of the people who were talking up Gibbs as a superstar and happy we got him never actually watched him play.

He spent a huge amount of time at Carlton as a rebounding half back and it's really the only position he 'excelled' at there.

But the only reason he seemed vaguely good at Carlton was just the density of spuds around him.

You put Gibbs from the weekend in the Carlton side of the weekend and he'd be amongst their best players.

See this is the sort of **** that makes me realize that most of the people who were talking up Gibbs as a superstar and happy we got him never actually watched him play.

He spent a huge amount of time at Carlton as a rebounding half back and it's really the only position he 'excelled' at there.

But the only reason he seemed vaguely good at Carlton was just the density of spuds around him.

You put Gibbs from the weekend in the Carlton side of the weekend and he'd be amongst their best players.
That's it, he was never a consistent A grade mid.

People thought he would have made the difference for a flag in 2017...... no chance in hell. Had a pretty good year last year too, but he was never the saviour some thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back