2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was eligible, I would have Coleman pressing for a position in our AFL team. He really is impressive. Speed is such a weapon. Combine that with some skill and nous and it is an encouraging sign. I can’t imagine we would want to pass him up at draft time, especially in a draft that apparently not especially deep. (Usually by this stage of the season the upcoming draft has been inevitably declared a ‘superdraft’).

Cedric needs to really build some form now he is back. Ballenden is progressing well. CLyons, TBerry and Wooller all night get a chance this year. Kraus deserves another chance but fitting him in is a problem. I love Eagles’ game but we just may not have a spot for him, especially if we get Adams right and Payne develops the way he appears to be developing.

Sone tough decisions will need to be made at the end of the season. I think a few players who get cut will be very unlucky.

I firmly believe Keays will be playing AFL. It will be either here with us or perhaps down the road at GC or interstate next year. His achievement in the NEAFL is being understated a little bit here. I cant recall any time recently a forward kicking 3+ goals a game at NEAFL level. His forward craft has improved immensely. His touch has become almost one-touch with minimal fumbles. He instinctively assesses for goal assists and if he cant quickly find one he backs himself to shoot for goal. He makes good decisions and has really improved. He can also tackle and his tackles rarely break compared to 2 years ago. I have no doubts his decision making and skills improvements will translate to the AFL level. The only issue is how can you fit Keays into the forward line already teaming with Rayner/McCarthy/Cameron whom have all kicked 10+ for the season. It would have to involve a structural change/dropping a tall or getting Rayner to play tall and then dropping a tall. I dont know if Keays has played wing much to replace someone like Taylor. He definitely would suit GCS as a foil to Sexton + Rankine (particularly if Ainsworth moves into the middle).
Great post. Keays’ marking has also improved significantly this year... it has been a weakness in past years, but now he is clunking them. His kicking for goal also seems better. First injury and he is in. There have also been calls to drop either McCarthy or Rayner, at times. I can’t remember him playing wing, but he does have the running capacity from his time as an inside mid. It’s a long season ... hard to not see him getting a chance at some stage.

If he was eligible, I would have Coleman pressing for a position in our AFL team. He really is impressive. Speed is such a weapon. Combine that with some skill and nous and it is an encouraging sign. I can’t imagine we would want to pass him up at draft time, especially in a draft that apparently not especially deep. (Usually by this stage of the season the upcoming draft has been inevitably declared a ‘superdraft’).

Cedric needs to really build some form now he is back. Ballenden is progressing well. CLyons, TBerry and Wooller all night get a chance this year. Kraus deserves another chance but fitting him in is a problem. I love Eagles’ game but we just may not have a spot for him, especially if we get Adams right and Payne develops the way he appears to be developing.

Sone tough decisions will need to be made at the end of the season. I think a few players who get cut will be very unlucky.

Im seeing coleman's name a bit lately. Is he eligible for the mid season draft?

Brisbane a class above in clash for first place against the Swans (Ben Hunter)
The Brisbane Lions have put themselves four points clear of the rest of the NEAFL following their 67-point win over the Sydney Swans at Southpine Sports Complex on Saturday afternoon. Brisbane had contributors across the ground from their 21 listed players, with all players but one gaining at least 10 disposals in the 14.17 (101) to 4.10 (34) victory.

Allen Christensen (33 disposals, eight inside 50s), Ryan Bastinac (26 disposals, 2 goals), Toby Wooller (30 disposals, 14 marks), Jacob Allison (24 disposals, 7 rebound 50s) and Ben Keays (22 disposals, 4 goals) were the standouts for the victors.

Sydney and its 14 AFL-listed players had some patches of promise throughout the first half, with Irishman Colin O’Riordan following up his 42-touch effort last week with 41 this week and former North Melbourne Kangaroo Ryan Clarke responding superbly to his relegation from the senior side with a massive 47 disposals, nine marks and four tackles.

The Lions dominated inside 50s throughout the match, and after taking a five-goal lead into quarter-time the home side looked unstoppable. The Lions have emphasised their desire in 2019 to try and play at an AFL level, as assistant coach Paul Henriksen explained.

“Throughout the early rounds we’ve really put a focus on trying to play at an AFL standard and I think a lot of our guys are really buying into that at the moment and they’re working really strongly as a team and as a group,” he told neafl.com.au.

Henriksen was especially pleased with his side’s ability to perform against the also in-form Swans, a club the Lions have a great respect for. “We really admire the Sydney Swans, they’ve had sustained success for a long time now in the NEAFL,” he said. “Their culture and the way they play, they’re really a side that we admire. It was a good performance for our guys and we know that throughout this competition there’s going to be challenges coming week in week out.”

The Lions next challenge comes as they travel to Canberra to take on the Demons, one the Lions and Henriksen are under no illusions about. “We’re off to Canberra next week to take on the Demons and last year they fixed us up pretty easily down there so it just keeps rolling around like footy does. So you’ve just gotta refocus on Monday, lick the wounds, re-focus and move on to the next challenge.”

The Lions face Canberra at Phillip Oval, while the Swans will seek redemption against Sydney University at Henson Park; both on Saturday afternoon.

NEAFL ROUND 5

Brisbane v Sydney at South Pine Sports Complex

BRISBANE 6.2 8.6 11.13 14.17 (101)
SYDNEY 1.2 3.6 3.8 4.10 (34)

GOALS – Brisbane: B Keays 4 R Bastinac 2 T Fullarton 2 C Lyons 2 C Ballenden T Joyce E Smith C Stackelberg. Sydney: J Rose 2 J Amartey R Stoddart.
BEST – Brisbane: M Eagles J Allison A Christensen R Bastinac T Wooller B Keays. Sydney: C O’Riordan R Clarke J Rowbottom D Cameron R Stoddart.

1557095161151.png

Gee Jack Payne makes Nick Robertson and Jacob Allison look like short people in that photo, he is a behemoth, big melon on him as well, wouldn't want to sit behind him at the movies.

#meloncontent

Turns 20 in October. 197cm and 101kg. One big unit.

Trust me, he looks even bigger in person. Plus, he can move- quick!!

Keays seems to be an increasingly smart player. He positions himself well in the forward line and seems to read the play much better these days. Defensively he has improved a bit as well. He just has a few ahead of him in that small forward role.

Keays seems to be an increasingly smart player. He positions himself well in the forward line and seems to read the play much better these days. Defensively he has improved a bit as well. He just has a few ahead of him in that small forward role.

Seems less fumbly this season also.

No 47 Fullarton,watch him he is a goer,it will not be long before they slot him in,he is big takes a grab,and is very good below his knees,just the bloke that we need at full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No 47 Fullarton,watch him he is a goer,it will not be long before they slot him in,he is big takes a grab,and is very good below his knees,just the bloke that we need at full forward.

We all want him to be the Joe Daniher we get for free, but has his output justified the hype? That question is aimed at all the seconds watchers, and asked when I have seen - streamed - a couple of moments that sold me.

We all want him to be the Joe Daniher we get for free, but has his output justified the hype? That question is aimed at all the seconds watchers, and asked when I have seen - streamed - a couple of moments that sold me.

Very, very good prospect.

From the couple of games I've watched he's had at least a couple of nice moments as you say. But there is a long way to go for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays on the list for quite a while before ever being considered for senior football. Certainly would need more than a single pre-season to get his fitness where you would need it to be.

Yep
After watching him live for the first time last weekend he has the attributes and the hype is definitely worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must they schedule our NEAFL games at the same time as our AFL ones? I guess I can catch the first half here in Canberra before I have to head home for the main event.

BRISBANE
B: 20. C Cox 38. C Ballenden 40. J Payne
HB: 22. M Hinge 41. M Eagles 18. N Robertson
C: 4. R Bastinac 13. T Berry 3. A Christensen
HF: 36. R Mathieson 21. S Skinner 28. L Taylor
F: 51. K Coleman 47. T Fullarton 34. T Wooller
R: 44. A Smith 1. B Keays 39. C Lyons
Int: 32. T Joyce 42. J Madden 45. C McFadyen 8. E Smith
Emg: 54. J Currie
In: 28. L Taylor 22. M Hinge
Out: 19. J Allison (AFL) 56. C Stackelberg (omitted) 33. Z Bailey (AFL)

BRISBANE
B: 20. C Cox 38. C Ballenden 40. J Payne
HB: 22. M Hinge 41. M Eagles 18. N Robertson
C: 4. R Bastinac 13. T Berry 3. A Christensen
HF: 36. R Mathieson 21. S Skinner 28. L Taylor
F: 51. K Coleman 47. T Fullarton 34. T Wooller
R: 44. A Smith 1. B Keays 39. C Lyons
Int: 32. T Joyce 42. J Madden 45. C McFadyen 8. E Smith
Emg: 54. J Currie
In: 28. L Taylor 22. M Hinge
Out: 19. J Allison (AFL) 56. C Stackelberg (omitted) 33. Z Bailey (AFL)
21 listed players plus Coleman who has been very good. As sides go, pretty good for the neafl

21 listed players plus Coleman who has been very good. As sides go, pretty good for the neafl
Nice to see Coleman on the forward line....team looks good n I believe he will have many chances to shine. I played in ACT for more than a decade and it can get damn cold there and windy so I hope that doesnt upset these hot Qlders too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back