List Mgmt. Mid-season draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Given our success with Mihocek I woudn't mind us taking a punt on Keitel also given the low cost / potential reward involved.

I'm the first to admit I wouldn't know him if I walked past him but named in the WAFL team of the year 3 years running playing key position makes me think he must have some talent to work with and has continued to work hard after the disappointment of not being drafted.

Seems like the perfect candidate to throw a rookie lifeline to so not sure what the knock is?

Endurance? Foot speed?

Failing that a mid/flanker who can run and carry the ball with speed is what I'd be after.

Given our success with Mihocek I woudn't mind us taking a punt on Keitel also given the low cost / potential reward involved.

I'm the first to admit I wouldn't know him if I walked past him but named in the WAFL team of the year 3 years running playing key position makes me think he must have some talent to work with and has continued to work hard after the disappointment of not being drafted.

Seems like the perfect candidate to throw a rookie lifeline to so not sure what the knock is?

Endurance? Foot speed?

Failing that a mid/flanker who can run and carry the ball with speed is what I'd be after.
Attitude and speed have always been a knock. Only played the two games this year would probably need a few more games to see what his form is like. Kicked 4, two weeks ago. I like him the most and agree we should take the punt. But I don’t think we will unfortunately.

Attitude and speed have always been a knock. Only played the two games this year would probably need a few more games to see what his form is like. Kicked 4, two weeks ago. I like him the most and agree we should take the punt. But I don’t think we will unfortunately.

How many times has he been overlooked now? Is it up to 8 drafts and the supplementary listing? I feel like he can’t do any more form wise, like Grigg and Bolton, and it has to be an attribute or intangible. I’d lean towards speed, but that is an absolute assumption on the basis of what the issue is for most of these state leaguers.

Does he get to enough contests? Does he have closing speed as a back and can he separate on the lead as a forward? Can he move with the grid when the ball is coming in on angles?

I generally agree, extractor mid could be looked at too I would have thought.

Especially if Sier is no closer to the side in 3 weeks time

I think once Sier is fit, he will be best 22. I would expect him to be back in the side in the second half of the year, alot like last season.

I think once Sier is fit, he will be best 22. I would expect him to be back in the side in the second half of the year, alot like last season.
Again, I agree. I just think Woodward more likely to be in a position to impact this year (role played, proximity to senior list already) compared to a state league player from another side.

Wouldn't be against getting a "jump" on this year's draft and pumping six months of work into a young bloke either, not expecting them to play this year

It would be good to see a mid season draftee make a real difference to a side but I sense noone is taking it very seriously. They seem to think it will be more like a rookie selection than someone who comes into seniors with immediate impact like people think. Also I think there will be only about 5 selections.
I reckon blokes having an impact in Year 1 will be very rare. Standard rookies train for 3 months with the club to learn the system and even then they're usually second half of the year propositions. There may be the odd exception when a club has no fit ruckman for instance or the odd Stack like player.

I reckon blokes having an impact in Year 1 will be very rare. Standard rookies train for 3 months with the club to learn the system and even then they're usually second half of the year propositions. There may be the odd exception when a club has no fit ruckman for instance or the odd Stack like player.

People seem to think clubs are going to pluck ready made players to fill their weaknesses immediately out of the mid season draft but it will be lucky if 1 comes in with immediate impact... they got overlooked for a reason too, it's doubtful someone who has already been in the system is going to go to a state league then come back a big time AFL player. I don't have high hopes for anyone we get if we even get anyone.

People seem to think clubs are going to pluck ready made players to fill their weaknesses immediately out of the mid season draft but it will be lucky if 1 comes in with immediate impact... they got overlooked for a reason too, it's doubtful someone who has already been in the system is going to go to a state league then come back a big time AFL player. I don't have high hopes for anyone we get if we even get anyone.
I'd be having a crack at the draft, I just think the immediate impact thing is a furphy. Gives you a free hit to look at a guy who you quite liked but weren't willing to pull the trigger on. We picked up Elliott, Langdon, Phillips as overage TAC cup players, pretty sure they would have been eligible. Obviously a guy like Mihocek too. You get a close look for half a year and make the call then for no cost.

From a totally uneducated point of view, I love what Alex Woodward brings to each and every game he plays. Has been drafted before and knees let him down but for a mid season pick up, I’d be going for him. Already at the club, could slide into the side next week no problems.

Just my 2 cents worth.

This is so correct on many levels.

At best a club may fluke a “Mihocek” result. At best.
But I think we flunked it ourselves with him. I admit, I’d have been stoked if he was a fill in for 5 games type.
Got that one wrong.

But overall, generally the pool is of players who at best might be marginal.
Then again, a gem might be found. But that would be more pot luck than good management.

If we go with an extra draft it might even be someone like McLarty (knows our systems and players, good guy etc).
Or even CFCs special one. Something like that.

Be very very very very lucky if we find a panacea to a hole in our side.

This is so correct on many levels.

At best a club may fluke a “Mihocek” result. At best.
But I think we flunked it ourselves with him. I admit, I’d have been stoked if he was a fill in for 5 games type.
Got that one wrong.

But overall, generally the pool is of players who at best might be marginal.
Then again, a gem might be found. But that would be more pot luck than good management.

If we go with an extra draft it might even be someone like McLarty (knows our systems and players, good guy etc).
Or even CFCs special one. Something like that.

Be very very very very lucky if we find a panacea to a hole in our side.
It's a rookie draft. While the industry continues to focus on 18year olds, I think there will always be the odd gem picked up in any draft, so many kids are too immature at 18 or unconfident, haven't really decided to focus on footy, late growth spurts, injuries at the wrong time, etc. Just don't expect too many blokes to step straight in. Most of them will need until the end of the season to get upto speed with game plan before they can even think of being selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep this. I'd be looking at a longer term option so probably 1 of the guys who was close to being drafted last year and is doing an over-age year at TAC or who has been snapped up by a VFL or state league team. Guys like Langdon and Phillips demonstrate that sometimes being overlooked is just the incentive they need.

who is the club looking at
Our recruiting officer doesn't think there is anyone out there that can make us better, and if there is he'd still say the same thing, so it's anybody's guess.

Full nomination list released. From our VFL team Gallucci, Hustwaite, Oxley (CFC2010), Wellings and Woodward have nominated.

Bailey Wraith who was/is a member of our next generation zone and ex-dee Jake Spencer who played one VFL practice game for us in the preseason have also nominated.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/th...ilable-for-the-mid-season-rookie-draft-136456

Former Pies Michael Manteit, Jye Bolton, Corey Gault, Jackson Ramsay and Sam McLarty have also nominated.

Edit: Plus Ben Kennedy and Nathan Freeman.

Last edited:
We lack key position depth most of all.

I wouldn’t be averse to bringing McLarty back. He was unlucky to just miss out at the swans early in the year.
I did see the 23 playing so perhaps he was getting a game?

(Mihocek wearing his jumper)

For a club in flag contention and a spot available it would be madness not to try and snag the next Tim Kelly from the state leagues. Given our history losing gf’s not sure we can be too cute with this sort of opportunity
We technically don't have a spot yet though - a Murray verdict has not been reached and we haven't officially placed Dunn on the LTI list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back