Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

actually, if you combine FTA and foxtel ratings for Friday night, the A league ratings are higher by 8K* ;)

What I find interesting if the ratings for the EPL now that it is on at a decent time. getting 80-120K in the last 2 weekends, ratings the A-league would dream of. Think that showcases that the A-league really needs to convert more soccer fans to the local product.

I really don't think finals work for the A-league. This current system certainly doesn't help. As a sports fan, I have no idea when they are on or who is playing who.

*that, of cause, is a terrible comparison, as one was in Primetime, a final and is missing half of its fans from NZ and GWS was probably on FTA in NSW, which would put it in front of the Nix/Victory

Disagree on the GF, but find the Glory topping the ladder about as exciting as a wet sponge, then again I've been bought up on Aussie Rules.
Remember Subi pulling 40+ for soccer GFs, be interesting to see ... dont know when though?

Disagree on the GF, but find the Glory topping the ladder about as exciting as a wet sponge, then again I've been bought up on Aussie Rules.
Remember Subi pulling 40+ for soccer GFs, be interesting to see ... dont know when though?
In an ideal world, the "finals" would be the FFA Cup and the season would be the season. Just think if the last game of the season was the FFA Cup.

But that won't work anytime soon because of so many factors. I just think the regular season gets hurts by the short term fix of the finals, especially atm with this finals series. opinion on soccer finals is split. I know Ange is a huge supporter of finals because it is part of the Australian culture.

In an ideal world, the "finals" would be the FFA Cup and the season would be the season. Just think if the last game of the season was the FFA Cup.

But that won't work anytime soon because of so many factors. I just think the regular season gets hurts by the short term fix of the finals, especially atm with this finals series. opinion on soccer finals is split. I know Ange is a huge supporter of finals because it is part of the Australian culture.

Euro thinking, longing for, does absolutely nothing for the game in Aus, the yearning casts a shadow IMHO but, I do accept the euro thinkers are a big part of those the A-League needs to attract.
I put relegation in the same basket, we are in Aus not Europe.

Euro thinking, longing for, does absolutely nothing for the game in Aus, the yearning casts a shadow IMHO but, I do accept the euro thinkers are a big part of those the A-League needs to attract.
fair points. Relegation is a dream which we can not afford.

I used to be all for finals. But our Tasmanian soccer league down here goes by first past the post and it works well, very well and it changed my thinking. It makes every game featuring the top teams worth something, especially if it is a close race at the top. The statewide Cup is the showpiece on the Queens Birthday weekend and it is worth as much as the league itself. (FFA Cup spot on the line). That is the grand final.

For me, playing 27 games for a 3 week finals system is broken. It makes the league part worthless, especially when the finals teams are decided in Jan and over half the teams make it. And the benefit of finishing top 2....A home final and a weeks break(which is worthless) and thats it. Why should I follow my team if everything gets decided in the last 3 weeks and there is no real reward for finishing higher? sorry, I am a broken record on this topic but it just annoys me no end.

fair points. Relegation is a dream which we can not afford.

I used to be all for finals. But our Tasmanian soccer league down here goes by first past the post and it works well, very well and it changed my thinking. It makes every game featuring the top teams worth something, especially if it is a close race at the top. The statewide Cup is the showpiece on the Queens Birthday weekend and it is worth as much as the league itself. (FFA Cup spot on the line). That is the grand final.

For me, playing 27 games for a 3 week finals system is broken. It makes the league part worthless, especially when the finals teams are decided in Jan and over half the teams make it. And the benefit of finishing top 2....A home final and a weeks break(which is worthless) and thats it. Why should I follow my team if everything gets decided in the last 3 weeks and there is no real reward for finishing higher? sorry, I am a broken record on this topic but it just annoys me no end.
People won't follow their teams if after 3 weeks they are no chance either.

We aren't Europe.

Finals gives clubs and their fans a shot.
No finals and all but 2 or 3 clubs will be played out of empty, completely empty, stadiums.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Until Oz has a strong 16, 18 or 20 team national league and there are 30, or 34 or 38 home and away games, a League system wont work well with fans, and a finals system works better for the game here. But a 27 game season and play each other 3 times means there are a lot of dead games before the finals as the season just drags on and a final 6 rewards mediocrity.

If Oz got to an 18 team comp (Germany's Bundesliga is 18 teams, others are 20 teams) and played 34 game season for a league title, the finals would still be useful if say there was 2 or 3 weeks off, allowing for Asian confederation finals timing and then have finals involving the top 4 or top 6 teams. That's the only sort of way of getting the best acknowledgement and combo of a Euro / South American / Asian League system and combining it with the best of a North American / Australasian cut throat finals system. Until then a finals system is best for fan engagement IMO.

In Europe you have a domestic league system and you have the cut throat finals competitions of the Champions League / Europa League plus domestic FA Cups, plus most competitions have another cut throat cup system eg in England the League Cup involving the 92 professional teams where as FA cup is all amateur, semi professional and professional teams in the country are involved ie over 700 teams. So they do have the best of both systems, but only the very best teams can win in the cut throat Champions League, whereas the cut throat FA cup is easier.

However over the last 30 years the FA Cup has lost its gloss to the Champions League in England, the UK and around the world.

I used to get pumped to watch the FA Cup with mates. Now partly because its played later and not as convenient a time, I might watch it if I stay up. I'm more likely to get up at 4am to watch the Champions League final.

Last edited:
People won't follow their teams if after 3 weeks they are no chance either.

We aren't Europe.

Finals gives clubs and their fans a shot.
No finals and all but 2 or 3 clubs will be played out of empty, completely empty, stadiums.
Fair point. Then you need relegation.......which you can't afford.

Some leagues in Europe split up after a certain amount of rounds(think Scotland, Romania, Denmark). We tried that here with the NSL and it really didn't work. That would have been my solution but it has been tried before and it really flopped IIRC.

They need to find the mix what works best for soccer and the Australian Culture of finals. I would love to see more 2 legged ties for example.

QLD & NSW state league comps taking a FTA hit after being shunted from 9 to GEM to make way for Netball.

E0xeoVR.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NRL showing how much they value their Sydney fan base by putting all games in Brisbane this weekend.
No wonder they have Sydney clubs earmarked for future relocation.

NRL showing how much they value their Sydney fan base by putting all games in Brisbane this weekend.
No wonder they have Sydney clubs earmarked for future relocation.

Yeah I find this a very strange promotion a very easy way to piss off all the non QLD teams fans.No doubt its part of the TV deal.

Anyone else here follow Empty seats galore on twitter? Predominantly about American sports (occasionally the A-League gets a mention), but they expose the seemingly American tendency for teams to announce crowds based on tickets sold, not actual attendees.

For instance:

There wouldn't be more than 2000 people in the stadium.

or this:

The capacity of Wrigley field is 41,000.

AFAIK no team in this country reports on tickets sold, but jeez it'd be funny if they did.

Same way the premier league clubs do attendances, Arsenal most notable perpetrators.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back