List Mgmt. Mid-season draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

We technically don't have a spot yet though - a Murray verdict has not been reached and we haven't officially placed Dunn on the LTI list.

Been Reported on AFL.com.au that we have a Live Pick

I'd like us to bring in Haiden Schloithe. A plug and play, solidly built, 184cm midfield or forward. At 25 plenty of time left in the game. I'd envisage him as a defensive forward who can use his speed and strength to stick tackles but who also has good goal sense. He'd be looking at Varcoe and Thomas's spot in the 22 and could future proof us for Varcoe. He'd also add immediate impact in the midfield or forward line at VFL level in a team craving experience.

I'd like us to bring in Haiden Schloithe. A plug and play, solidly built, 184cm midfield or forward. At 25 plenty of time left in the game. I'd envisage him as a defensive forward who can use speed and strwngth to stick tackles but who also has good goal sense. He'd be looking at Varcoe and Thomas's spot in the 22 and could future proof us for Varcoe. He'd also add immediate impact in the midfield or forward line at VFL level in team craving experience.

But why has he kept getting passed up every year in the Draft?

At the end does the reality of a mid season draft pick translate to big win, small win, negligble, nothing much?

Whoever is taken, if we take one, will they provide anything other than a stop gap here or there?

But why has he kept getting passed up every year in the Draft?

It happens sometimes. Maybe height at 184cm. Early years he was considered poor in the contest but that was as an 18yo. He ironed that out long ago.

At the end does the reality of a mid season draft pick translate to big win, small win, negligble, nothing much?

Whoever is taken, if we take one, will they probably vide anything other than a stop gap here or there?

It's opportunity Saintly. I think if you're a shrewd recruiter you can find hidden treasure. I do think you can find more than a stop gap if you make good decisions.

Whoever is taken, if we take one, will they probably vide anything other than a stop gap here or there?

Likely nothing will come of it but you never know.

Josh Mahoney failed at two clubs, spent three years in the wilderness, was last man picked by Port in the 2004 draft and ended up one of the best on ground in Ports 2005 premiership.

James Podsiadly has a similar story.

There’s also that Port Melbourne premiership fullback who is doing ok at Collingwood in the forward line.

It's opportunity Saintly. I think if you're a shrewd recruiter you can find hidden treasure. I do think you can find more than a stop gap if you make good decisions.
Exactly right. You can find treasure.

I was merely speculating about what the outcome might be.
In many ways the likelihood is negligible. However, a Mihocek win, that would be amazing. Not sure that happens too often, but happy to try.

Likely nothing will come of it but you never know.

Josh Mahoney failed at two clubs, spent three years in the wilderness, was last man picked by Port in the 2004 draft and ended up one of the best on ground in Ports 2005 premiership.

James Podsiadly has a similar story
Fair point.

Why you brought up Podsiadly I don’t know.
I all but had him erased from the memory banks from circa 2011....

In many ways the likelihood is negligible. However, a Mihocek win, that would be amazing. Not sure that happens too often, but happy to try.

That's where your recruiters make their money and reputations.

That's where your recruiters make their money and reputations.
The Mihocek win is an example of such things.
Appelby too, though the rock solid defence has kept him out.

I still can’t believe how good Mihocek has been.
Never guessed it at all.
Goes to show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some recent examples of players who could have been recruited under this format over recent years: Tim Kelly, Sam Collins, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Liam Ryan, Dean Rampe. Kyle Hartigan held down CHB for Adelaide in a year they made the grand final as another example. There are opportunities there.

If we are looking at someone, surely it's a key position defender?

We're a dodgy hammy away from being sorely tested back there.

Roughead and Reid are both kinda slow and probably aren't "1st up" key defenders. Goldsack held up admirably but shouldn't be relied on to take the oppositions best forward week in week out. Kelly won't be physically ready yet.

I feel like we really should be looking at some cheap Darcy Moore insurance.

Roughead and Reid are both kinda slow and probably aren't "1st up" key defenders. Goldsack held up admirably but shouldn't be relied on to take the oppositions best forward week in week out. Kelly won't be physically ready yet.

Your mate Ben Reid is our special one.

Just teasing, we certainly don’t want key player injuries.

Key position at either end imo.

I'm not advocating for any of these but some options from that list include Alex Johnson, Sam McLarty and Tyler Keitel (if played back). Up forward Aaron Black. Ruck Jake Spencer.

Last edited:
Though not listed to have a chance of being selected (I think this is right):

Imagine we picked Brendon Goddard?

Such a high end flog talent would have been interesting. Nice finger wagging and carrying on coverage.

Though not listed to have a chance of being selected (I think this is right):

Imagine we picked Brendon Goddard?

Such a high end flog talent would have been interesting. Nice finger wagging and carrying on coverage.

We should start a rumour we are picking him to lure Carlton into getting in before us.

Former Pies Michael Manteit, Jye Bolton, Corey Gault, Jackson Ramsay and Sam McLarty have also nominated.
Cheers, was meaning to look that over, but had to get back to work. Kennedy and Freeman too.

Sam Murray's brother (Nick) has nominated! Maybe we should pick up Tom Wilson (Northern Blues) just to confuse everyone!!

Whoever is taken, if we take one, will they provide anything other than a stop gap here or there?

I'd be looking at overage TAC Cup players, which is an area we've looked at and had a bit of success in the past - we've gotten Elliott, Phillips, Langdon and despite not working for us Ceglar from this source.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back