Roast Bryce Gibbs

Has anyone ever played a good game in long sleeves?

Out of players who don't usually wear them I mean.

It's one level down from dying your hair blonde IMO
i know you're angry and everything, but I won't have anyone ripping on long sleeves. they're glorious

also seedsman plays pretty damn well in a longie

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I was never on board with this trade, not so much because I don't rate him but I thought we were way too late to the trade table. 2 first rounders for a 26 year old Gibbs would have probably been fine.

We need to change his role asap imo. I'd move him to the forward line. He's providing nothing in the middle and we don't need him down back.

hes been like that his whole career, if he was any good Carlton wouldn't have finished bottom every year
This post doesn't make any sense. Plenty of s**t teams have gun players running around.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I was never on board with this trade, not so much because I don't rate him but I thought we were way too late to the trade table. 2 first rounders for a 26 year old Gibbs would have probably been fine.

We need to change his role asap imo. I'd move him to the forward line. He's providing nothing in the middle and we don't need him down back.

This post doesn't make any sense. Plenty of **** teams have gun players running around.
I thought in the main Gibbs was a very good contributor in our midfield last season but this season he has in the main been rank ordinary for a player with his undoubted class wherever he's played, certainly not playing with same intensity the season.

I dont think Andrew Jarman played a game without long sleeves.
he did not

theres a team picture of him in his first year with the roosters in the sanfl, that's the only time he did not wear sleeves in his whole career

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
if he's not going to be able to kick properly, he offers nothing to the team. he's not a contested beast which we already have an abundance of, he's not quick. he is meant to be there to be the outlet, the classy disposal to get the ball forward. but him on half back vs freo was awful. floating kicks and hospital handballs. just put games into a youngster and take the good with the bad. continuing this with gibbs is just the bad.

never trust career losers.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
As I posted in another thread, I fear there is something more going on. His heart is not in it. There is no joy in him and he looks like he doesn't want to be there. He certainly is not up for a fight. He is not interested in competing.

I hope he is ok and he is able to focus on/sort out whatever it is that is taking his attention.

Whatever is the issue, one thing is for sure - he should not be playing AFL at the moment.

As I posted in another thread, I fear there is something more going on. His heart is not in it. There is no joy in him and he looks like he doesn't want to be there. He certainly is not up for a fight. He is not interested in competing.

I hope he is ok and he is able to focus on/sort out whatever it is that is taking his attention.

Whatever is the issue, one thing is for sure - he should not be playing AFL at the moment.

Agreed. He was actually pretty decent last year and I don't think this sudden decline is due to aging.

I was going to put it down to his pre-season injury troubles that he might not have properly recovered from. But it could be a more personal issue

The alarm bells should have been ringing when he said he was happy with a 12 win/missing the finals season.

He just doesn't care.

Its not the coach

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dont like saying it about one of our players, But if we dont see a lift in effort out of him this week hes a just being a sook, and we might as well just drop him for the rest of the year. It seems to me hes taking it hard losing his spot in the midfield and getting dropped a couple of weeks ago and sulking. If thats the case he needs to get over it real fast.

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers
Milera, Brown and Seeds can't return quick enough. We need to play him off the half forward flank, not in the back line.
He just isn't suited to that role. It highlights his weaknesses, while not playing to his strengths.
Play him where he can deliver the ball to the forward line, or kick goals himself. Don't play him in an accountable role, where he's going to be one out against a forward, and needs to defend. He can't do that. And apparently he is rubbish at kick ins too.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

This post doesn't make any sense. Plenty of **** teams have gun players running around.
I liked it once we swapped our 2nd rounders in the super draft backing our-self that Carlton will finish last and limited FA compensations that affected Carlton's 2nd rounder, this pick has effectively cancel out pick 16 in a weak draft, them getting our 2nd rounder and us getting their 3rd rounder is negligible after the other FA compensations. Very smart trading by us, and it's actually this pick that allow us to do further live trade picks swap with GWS and Carlton with Carlton set to finish bottom 2 this year, further increasing this trade's worth.

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree with some on here that hes just not there mentally. Support him, dont put him into the AFL environment where it will just compound the issue.

He hasnt played finals in god knows how long and has a real opportunity this year. His motivation isnt there.

Something else caught my attention. Hes usually all over social media, particulary Instagram with his son but he hasnt been on much all this year.

Hope he sorts out whatevers going on.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
I liked it once we swapped our 2nd rounders in the super draft backing our-self that Carlton will finish last and limited FA compensations that affected Carlton's 2nd rounder, this pick has effectively cancel out pick 16 in a weak draft, them getting our 2nd rounder and us getting their 3rd rounder is negligible after the other FA compensations. Very smart trading by us, and it's actually this pick that allow us to do further live trade picks swap with GWS and Carlton with Carlton set to finish bottom 2 this year, further increasing this trade's worth.

The swap of 2nd rounders pretty much cancelled each other out due to the poor season we had.

I am shocked that people are still trying to pretend that we somehow didn't end up with our pants around our ankles in the GIbbs trade.

From memory we ended up paying more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

As much as we all hate to admit it, we ended up paying massive overs for him. Hopefully the pick swap might be our chance to get some overs from Carlton that will help cancel out the overs we paid for GIbbs.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s just a cop out

And it’s no excuse for not playing with intensity

I think he may retire at years end

What stands out to me is the contrast from last year. Have a look at his tackle numbers - intent/effort was there from start to finish in a side that was pretty poor.

Has looked disinterested all year, dropped then the alleged "gastro" 2 weeks later. I suspect something more going on with him & hope he can work through it quickly.

Crows123

Senior List
Sep 8, 2007
Ottoway, Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The swap of 2nd rounders pretty much cancelled each other out due to the poor season we had.

I am shocked that people are still trying to pretend that we somehow didn't end up with our pants around our ankles in the GIbbs trade.

From memory we ended up paying more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

As much as we all hate to admit it, we ended up paying massive overs for him. Hopefully the pick swap might be our chance to get some overs from Carlton that will help cancel out the overs we paid for GIbbs.
Didn't we also receive a 3rd rounder from Carlton for that 2nd rounder so they virtually cancel each other out? Yeah, it would have been better if we finish a lot higher to further cancel this but it's their 2nd rounder (pick 21 before bid trades) in a strong draft which cancel out pick 16 the previous year in a weak draft.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is really no excuse. He is a high quality player that should be playing to a much higher standard. If he's going to have had output cos he's recovering from gastro then he shouldn't be playing. That's not the reason.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has anyone ever played a good game in long sleeves?

Out of players who don't usually wear them I mean.

It's one level down from dying your hair blonde IMO
I would go on a witchhunt looking for any long sleeves throughout the club and burn them. If your arms are cold your in the wrong sport.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think getting Jacobs and Betts and turning them into AA set a precedence that any talent we get from Carlton we will be able to turn into gold and therefore overpaid for Menzel and Gibbs.

Turning Carltons 2nd last year into Hamill and Pick 19 this year has the potential to make this trade a win in the long run but not the way they would have envisaged.

One has to wonder if he's got a bit comfortable being in SA or if there's personal issues behind the scene. Always have to be careful about judging without all the facts.

In saying that he ranked 10th in total turnovers last year and currently 9th in turnovers per game this year. Unfortunately this is in the league not the team.

Back