Review Round 7, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I watched the Sunday Footy Show earlier (well fast forwarded through most of it except the Lions segment) and Barrett and Brownless were of the view that Hipwood will get 1-2 weeks for his hit. Now I know anything's possible with Christian / MRO, but I'll be seriously pissed if he gets suspended. I just worry that the incident will get viewed similar to that Hawthorn player last week who did get suspended.
The Sydney player got up and kept playing so he wont be in any trouble. If the sydney player went off and did not come back on then it may be a different story.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
First time I can ever remember thinking that the umps were being kind to us . They tried to even up with a few shockers in the last quarter.

I really think we have to be happy with today . We had far the better of the opportunities and had it been dry I think we would've thumped them.

Really pleased to see the dogs wallop Richmond tonight because it means we're more prepared for next week.

Two obvious changes .In Andrews ,Bailey out Lester ,Taylor

I'd really love to play McStay CHF and Hippy deeper with a roaming license . Just not sure whether McStay has the tank. Cam looks a bit lost at times ,I think if he was as fit as the ability he has then he could really take a game apart in the forward line ,might take another year or two

Really pleased that two sometimes maligned players in McStay and Cutler were able to do some exceptional things in key moments and really gave us some bite around the packs . Both cemented their positions today
Don't think there is a problem with McStays tank

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That was awkward to watch. One quarter of fun, three quarters of me waving my arms around, lamenting our goalkicking accuracy (occasionally fist pumping at the miraculous goals we did actually manage to score), and also shaking my head in disbelief wondering how on earth Sydney managed to score a goal every single time they got the ball out of their defensive half.

But in the end, as has been the case in most our games this season, we had players who stood up when it was needed the most. This team is brimming with the right attitude. Gotta say, 7 games into his Brisbane career...Lachie Neal feels like one of our own. He's a champ.
Gotta reckon Neale is enjoying our style of footy a lot more than Freos. Watching Crows Freo, it must be soul destroying to play with so much effort most weeks and only kick meager scores.

ImAFreeMan

All Australian
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm glad we kept them at bay for a lot of this game because i was already drained from watching the Nuggets lose in 4OT. Definitely didn't need a high stress game so GG boys.

Yes Portland #ripcity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How AMAZINGLY GOOD has Josh Walker been this year. In career best form. Currently averaging 7.9 marks a game and ranked 7th in the league, only five marks behind Michael Hurley. Given that many of his marks are also contested he has been an absolute life saver in defence.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How AMAZINGLY GOOD has Josh Walker been this year. In career best form. Currently averaging 7.9 marks a game and ranked 7th in the league, only five marks behind Michael Hurley. Given that many of his marks are also contested he has been an absolute life saver in defence.

His contested marking has been good but I'd like to see him get a scalp. Shut down a decent key forward. Still needs a lot of improvement in spoiling and not letting it get to the back. He and Andrews have similar strengths but Andrews is far superior defensively. Both don't play small which becomes an issue against more mobile forward lines like Collingwood and the Bulldogs this week

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
His contested marking has been good but I'd like to see him get a scalp. Shut down a decent key forward. Still needs a lot of improvement in spoiling and not letting it get to the back. He and Andrews have similar strengths but Andrews is far superior defensively. Both don't play small which becomes an issue against more mobile forward lines like Collingwood and the Bulldogs this week
Wasn't he on Reid on the weekend. Don't know if Reid got a goal. While he may not be a great forward, he still has regularly kicked goals agains us iirc

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wasn't he on Reid on the weekend. Don't know if Reid got a goal. While he may not be a great forward, he still has regularly kicked goals agains us iirc

Sam Reid has averaged a goal a game over his career. He's on McStays level at best.

How many chances would Walker have to shut down a "decent" key forward though if he plays second fiddle to Andrews all the time?

Especially given your standard for a "decent" key forward is kicking over a goal a game.

Sam Reid has averaged a goal a game over his career. He's on McStays level at best.

If you take the top goal kickers from this year so far who sort of exist in that ballpark, there's no single team that has two key forwards averaging over a goal a game except West Coast, who we played when Kennedy was injured.

1557110311761.png

It's a very odd way to judge Walker given that he plays as the second KPD most of the time and he legitimately won't get many chances to play on your definition of a decent key forward given that not many teams we play against will have two of them. For him to meet that KPI you've set Walker will have to be playing better than Harris Andrews.

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Whilwe have been great offensively, we are still leaking way too many. We have given away 613 points, which is the 4th worst in the league. Teams worse are Sydney, Melbounre and Nth Melbourne who are all down the bottom of the ladder. Teams around our position are about 500 points (+/- 50 points). Whether it is defensive running or poor defence l dunno but that would be the next step of our development. If we can still keep our offence up while decreasing the number of goals we let through, we will start winning even more games.
Totally agree. I noted this a couple of weeks ago how many points kicked against us. This is a major concern for us along with our kicking for goal. Fagan has mentioned it as a concern and my other is our deplorable quarters like the second quarter against the swans. If you replay the second quarter take notice of our body language at one stage where every player in the backline has their hands on their hips. This was not good. If we do this next Saturday against the dogs we will struggle.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How many chances would Walker have to shut down a "decent" key forward though if he plays second fiddle to Andrews all the time?

Especially given your standard for a "decent" key forward is kicking over a goal a game.

If you take the top goal kickers from this year so far who sort of exist in that ballpark, there's no single team that has two key forwards averaging over a goal a game except West Coast, who we played when Kennedy was injured.

View attachment 668513

It's a very odd way to judge Walker given that he plays as the second KPD most of the time and he legitimately won't get many chances to play on your definition of a decent key forward given that not many teams we play against will have two of them. For him to meet that KPI you've set Walker will have to be playing better than Harris Andrews.

But that's my point. He's playing the role you want Andrews to play. If Adams can play at the same level but also shut down the more mobile key forwards then I think we have a more well rounded backline.

But that's my point. He's playing the role you want Andrews to play. If Adams can play at the same level but also shut down the more mobile key forwards then I think we have a more well rounded backline.

When has Adams shown he can shut down mobile forwards?

My point is that if you judge a player on a KPI that is essentially "Are they better than Harris Andrews" you'll never be happy. Adams would fall short on that metric the same way walker is.

Adams is probably a better player when fit though. He's also at least 8 weeks away.

Just seemed an odd comment to make about Walker in the context of a post that was just praising Walker for playing his role, which is more or less to be that second KPD. He's doing that fine.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Totally agree. I noted this a couple of weeks ago how many points kicked against us. This is a major concern for us along with our kicking for goal. Fagan has mentioned it as a concern and my other is our deplorable quarters like the second quarter against the swans. If you replay the second quarter take notice of our body language at one stage where every player in the backline has their hands on their hips. This was not good. If we do this next Saturday against the dogs we will struggle.
I don't have a big problem with drop in intensity for a quarter, that is a show of young sides. A few years ago we were only playing 1 good quarter, last year we were competitive for most of the game but losing the close games, this year we are doing really well for 3 quarters but still can't play for the full game. Hoping by next year we are playing 4 quarters of competitive football. It is also the year we should be realistically competing for the finals (if we play this year, fantastic).

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When has Adams shown he can shut down mobile forwards?

My point is that if you judge a player on a KPI that is essentially "Are they better than Harris Andrews" you'll never be happy. Adams would fall short on that metric the same way walker is.

Adams is probably a better player when fit though. He's also at least 8 weeks away.

Just seemed an odd comment to make about Walker in the context of a post that was just praising Walker for playing his role, which is more or less to be that second KPD. He's doing that fine.

It's about balance. It'd be like playing 2 forward/rucks in addition to a ruckman. It makes sense to compare them.

We're playing a team this week with one key forward for which Gardiner is the best matchup. What do we do with both Andrews and Walker?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's about balance. It'd be like playing 2 forward/rucks in addition to a ruckman. It makes sense to compare them.

We're playing a team this week with one key forward for which Gardiner is the best matchup. What do we do with both Andrews and Walker?

I don’t think dizzy has the leap for naughton so walker or Harris takes him.

Ideally the dogs bring in Schache but we probably won’t be that lucky. If hippy gets a week then I’d throw Harris up forward maybe though I don’t like that long term.

Gardiner isn't the best match for Naughton.

I'll take your question in the spirit that you asked it though and say yeah that's a really good point and both Harris and walker playing the same role might be why we seem to have defensive issues.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don’t think dizzy has the leap for naughton so walker or Harris takes him.

Ideally the dogs bring in Schache but we probably won’t be that lucky. If hippy gets a week then I’d throw Harris up forward maybe though I don’t like that long term.
They may bring in Tom Boyd, apparently he was good in the VFL on the weekend.

I don't have a big problem with drop in intensity for a quarter, that is a show of young sides. A few years ago we were only playing 1 good quarter, last year we were competitive for most of the game but losing the close games, this year we are doing really well for 3 quarters but still can't play for the full game. Hoping by next year we are playing 4 quarters of competitive football. It is also the year we should be realistically competing for the finals (if we play this year, fantastic).

It’s not just about us though - the opposition might have one good quarter that shuts us down even though we are playing at our most intense.

There were multiple games this weekend that were 35 point plus difference by quarter time but no game finished 140 plus up. Cause the other team responded. That’s what happened to us - we might have dropped off a bit but our drop off was less than the swans step up in the second quarter. They couldn’t maintain, we did and won. Pretty normal pattern and last year we couldn’t maintain

View attachment 668513

Great post!

Back