What size should the AFL be?

Remove this Banner Ad

We add more than Richmond. In fact, if it was not for Geelong there would be no competition as we know it ( just a VFA) and no Brownlow medal.
Damn straight! Richmond should be thanking us for being trailblazers.

Boy you come up with some weird threads, how do you quantify the "size"? Teams? Ratings? Membership? What?

Will put in one thing though, all the nuffies out there who think merging is the answer. I'll put this to you, the bottom base membership for vic clubs is around 40k you could arguably thrice that for non member paying supporters.

That's the reason HQ haven't merged or despatched these teams, we're talking more than a qtr of a million paying customers. What you think the fans of these teams are just going go "ok no problem I'll support another team"? pffft ridiculous thinking. They'll likely turn their back on the game.

Boy you come up with some weird threads, how do you quantify the "size"? Teams? Ratings? Membership? What?

Will put in one thing though, all the nuffies out there who think merging is the answer. I'll put this to you, the bottom base membership for vic clubs is around 40k you could arguably thrice that for non member paying supporters.

That's the reason HQ haven't merged or despatched these teams, we're talking more than a qtr of a million paying customers. What you think the fans of these teams are just going go "ok no problem I'll support another team"? pffft ridiculous thinking. They'll likely turn their back on the game.

Despite the heated 'need' to merge clubs during the late 80s, 90s and even into the early 00s...

I doubt there's any appetite for that anymore.

Ideally, in time 20 teams. If the quality can be justified.

Extra night of footy each week.

Vic Teams (8)
Richmond
Collingwood
Essendon
Carlton
Hawthorn
Geelong
Two of Bulldogs/Melbourne/Stkilda

SA (2)
Adelaide
Port Adel

WA (3)
West Coast
Freo
+1

QLD (2)
Brisbane
Gold Coast

NSW (2)
Sydney
West Sydney

Others (3)
Tas Roos
NT
Canberra

Would take a generation though.

Despite the heated 'need' to merge clubs during the late 80s, 90s and even into the early 00s...

I doubt there's any appetite for that anymore.

Clearly there is (certainly among non vic fans on this website), HQ are obviously not in favour of merging teams for obvious reasons but some of the simple minded have a wish to reduce the number of vic teams not realizing the consequences of doing so.

Clearly there is (certainly among non vic fans on this website), HQ are obviously not in favour of merging teams for obvious reasons but some of the simple minded have a wish to reduce the number of vic teams not realizing the consequences of doing so.

Really?

I doubt it.

I like it as it is, just keep letting the suits grow this new hybrid sport. There surely will be a point in the future where the people understand they are no longer following Aussie Rules footy. I worked it out about 5 years ago.

As a merger North and Gold coast is a no brainer.
I'd be all over this as a north supporter.
Add a team in Tassie and that will do for 20 years.
Couple of other Vic mergers to allow expansion might be ok in the long run too.

14 teams spread across the mainland and beyond, full 26-round h&a season with no finals for maximum integrity.

Darwin Crows
Port Pandas
Springfield Suns
Tullamarine Blues
Melbourne Magpies
Ballarat Bulldogs
Sydney Giants
Australian Kangaroos
Launceston Hawks
Hobart Tigers
Christchurch Saints
West Perth Sharks
South Fremantle Royals
Geelong Cats

Just my opinion, don't hate.

Competition should be the following teams:
Richmond
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
South Melbourne
Footscray
Fitzroy
St Kilda
Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower
100% agree. Go back to the VFL, then we can actually start a real national competition with big money to attract the biggest stars that isn't Victorian centric, with a full home/ away fixture.

6 x Vic
2 x WA
2 x SA
2 x NSW / Act
1 x QLD
1 x Tas

14 teams. 26 rounds. No formal preseason, slightly shorter games, bigger lists.

VFL morphing into the AFL in hindsite is the worse thing that could of happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree. Go back to the VFL

Then we can actually start a real national competition with big money to attract the biggest stars that isn't Victorian centric, with a full home/ away fixture.

What's a West Coast Eagle. It's made up bro. Victoria made you up.

Always been in two minds here

Side A - 14 teams. 26 rounds. 3rd-6th play off over two weeks (H&A) to play 1st & 2nd in the Prelims. Then the GF. Push the sport deeper into October.
7 Vic sides (Ess, Coll, Rich, Carl, Melb, Geel, Hawks), 7 non-vic sides (Syd, GWS, Bris, WCE, Port, Adel, Freo)
Expand the list size, increase the benches, have the emergencies as available subs (i.e a player out who can't return to the game).
30 week season

Side B - 20 teams. (Current crop of 18, but add 2 into SA and WA. If Tas & NT want a side, take 2 out of Vic)
19 rounds. Top 16. 1v16, 2v15 H&A elimination final setup. 16 down to 8 over 1st 2 weeks. 8 down to the 4 the following two. Then a 2 week H&A GF setup. Decider at the G if there is a draw.
27 week season

Taking it hard aren’t you ?

What, us winning more flags than you guys and being a bigger club? Nah, pretty comfortable here my friend.

Doesn’t sound like it

It's funny how triggered how cats fans are. You guys are like a cross between Gerard Whateley and Chris Scott. It's pretty awesome how sensitive you guys are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back