Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't split Stepho and Naughton on draft night in 2017. I think I slightly favoured Naughton by 0.0001% but I knew I was going to be over the moon with either of them, and having them as my favourite prospects that year and seeing them begin to kill opposition teams so early in their careers makes me feel good. I knew Naughton was going to be a star based on how he was playing against seniors in the WAFL as a 17 year old - if he had no problem beating them then he'd have no issues come the AFL.

To me, they're clearly the two most exciting prospects from their draft and neither fan base would trade theirs for the other and for good reason.

If you want to go down that path, then Jesse Hogan had 'the best first year any forward has had for about 30 years' in 2015 where he kicked 44 goals in only 20 matches (Jaidyn kicked 28 in 26). Hogan also played in a diabolical Melbourne Team as their only competent forward. You can't seriously say that Stephenson made the players around him better more so than any other Collingwood forward, they're all part of the same system that makes them far and away the best forward line in the league. He's a gun, Stephenson, but his ceiling is much, much lower than Naughton's.
What was impressive about Stephenson is how well he played when he was one of the most raw draftees going into 2018 playing one of the harder roles in AFL.

Wait until he gets to like 85 kg and playing through the midfield before you make a call about his ceiling.

Wait until he gets to like 85 kg and playing through the midfield before you make a call about his ceiling.

I never get the obsession with wanting guys to bulk up and play mid. What’s wrong with him remaining a game breaking forward?

I never get the obsession with wanting guys to bulk up and play mid. What’s wrong with him remaining a game breaking forward?

Yep, agree. People think it's just a natural progression, but I don't think he really even shows a massive propensity to be a midfielder. Could be a good attacking winger long term, but short-medium term I couldn't see why you would want to move him away from goals, if at all.

Yep, agree. People think it's just a natural progression, but I don't think he really even shows a massive propensity to be a midfielder. Could be a good attacking winger long term, but short-medium term I couldn't see why you would want to move him away from goals, if at all.
He won Friday night in the first quarter.
I wouldn't change that for the world. Seriously good nous when the footy is inside the fwd 50.

Because it’s his natural position and played there through under 18s?...
Well not quite. At TAC level before the U18 Championships he played as a forward. Same at the U18 Championships. It wasn't until the second half of the TAC cup season that he moved more in to a midfield role.

Well not quite. At TAC level before the U18 Championships he played as a forward. Same at the U18 Championships. It wasn't until the second half of the TAC cup season that he moved more in to a midfield role.
And when we drafted him at 6 based on his proven playing record both as a midfielder and as a forward...

To think Stephenson is just a forward with no upside potential by playing more midfield is just ridiculous.

Stephenson still number 1 for me, won the rising star in his first year and pies have only just scratched the surface of his potential, will become a very dangerous goal kicking midfielder in time.

Winning the RS might be an argument against being the best player in the draft, going on recent history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The four most recent Rising Star recipients have been comprehensively overtaken by those which they beat in their respective years. Lewis Taylor is so far off the map compared to the man he beat, Bontempelli, it isn’t even funny. Cripps has flown past Hogan and just about become the best in the game. Mills has fallen by the wayside and Caleb Daniel, Clayton Oliver, Darcy Moore have easily passed him and Andrew McGrath isn’t setting the word alight compared to Taranto and McCluggage. Award is pretty much ‘most prolific first year player’ these days. I love watching Stevo, but Naughton is just so impressive. Beat just about the best key defender in the comp today and turned the game on it’s head. No Naughton no win today.

Stephenson still number 1 for me, won the rising star in his first year and pies have only just scratched the surface of his potential, will become a very dangerous goal kicking midfielder in time.
So? Most rising star winners won it in their first year. Do you not follow the award at all?

Lewis Taylor won the rising star over Marcus Bontempelli in 2014. Completely worthless, or do you seriously believe Gerard Healy's opinion matters?

So? Most rising star winners won it in their first year. Do you not follow the award at all?

Lewis Taylor won the rising star over Marcus Bontempelli in 2014. Completely worthless, or do you seriously believe Gerard Healy's opinion matters?
Wait so we are going to call the rising star pointless and yet Dogs fans have been going on and on about how Naughton finished 4th in the B&F last season...

Wait so we are going to call the rising star pointless and yet Dogs fans have been going on and on about how Naughton finished 4th in the B&F last season...
Why are you quoting me? I'm not the one who said B&F results matter.

The Rising Star and Gerard Healy's preferences are worthless.

The four most recent Rising Star recipients have been comprehensively overtaken by those which they beat in their respective years. Lewis Taylor is so far off the map compared to the man he beat, Bontempelli, it isn’t even funny. Cripps has flown past Hogan and just about become the best in the game. Mills has fallen by the wayside and Caleb Daniel, Clayton Oliver, Darcy Moore have easily passed him and Andrew McGrath isn’t setting the word alight compared to Taranto and McCluggage. Award is pretty much ‘most prolific first year player’ these days. I love watching Stevo, but Naughton is just so impressive. Beat just about the best key defender in the comp today and turned the game on it’s head. No Naughton no win today.
All of those players won off great years. Such a dumb post. What's the Rising Star award supposed to do, tell the future?

Naughton at #6 behind Worpel?.. delete your account
To be fair, he may have posted this after Hamling toweled him in Round 6. That's why it's hard to make certain judgments on such a small body of work.

Early days, but it looks a decent draft. Rayner and Brayshaw both look terrific and I'm not surprised they went 1 and 2.

We're just starting to get a decent look at some of the talls as well, which takes longer. Naughton, Allen, Balta and McCartin all looked pretty good on the weekend.

Last edited:
To be fair, he may have posted this after Hamling toweled him in Round 6. That's why it's hard to make certain judgments on such a small body of work.

Early days, but it looks a decent draft. Rayner and Brayshaw both look terrific and I'm not surprised they went 1 and 2.

We're just starting to get a decent look at some of the talls as well, which takes longer. Naughton, Allen, Balta and McCartin has looked good pretty good on the weekend.

Rayner has stagnated badly this year. He has kicked more goals but everything else is down significantly.

I wouldn’t have Rayner in the top 5 right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back