Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those comparisons at same age are super impressive, but keep in mind it is very rare for a player to be given so much responsibility after so few games, and that is partly driving his insane numbers compared to some very impressive peers. If Mitchell was playing, or Worpel was on a team with a deeper midfield, the comparisons probably wouldn't be quite as flattering as it is unlikely we'd have put this much load on his shoulders this early.

Having said that, the fact that he's been asked to partly cover for Mitchell and take on massive responsibility compared to his experience levels and is performing as well as he is, is super exciting.

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was impressed with Worpel today. He couldn't get near it in the first half, yet didn't drop his head and came out second half still throwing himself into everything and started to get more ball and have an impact. Thought for a young bloke that showed great character.

Here is a list of the number of contested possessions in the first 18 games of the careers of every brownlow medallist since 2006.

One other player has been included by way of comparison.

CONTESTED POSSESSIONS THROUGH FIRST 18 GAMES

James Worpel 164
Dustin Martin 158
Tom Mitchell 149
Matt Priddis 148
Scott Pendlebury 148
Chris Judd 138
Nat Fyfe 129
Patrick Dangerfield 121
Adam Goodes 120
Gary Ablett Jr 119
Jimmy Bartel 109
Trent Cotchin 105
Adam Cooney 103
Sam Mitchell 99
Dane Swan 85

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here is a list of the number of contested possessions in the first 18 games of the careers of every brownlow medallist since 2006.

One other player has been included by way of comparison.

CONTESTED POSSESSIONS THROUGH FIRST 18 GAMES

James Worpel 164
Dustin Martin 158
Tom Mitchell 149
Matt Priddis 148
Scott Pendlebury 148
Chris Judd 138
Nat Fyfe 129
Patrick Dangerfield 121
Adam Goodes 120
Gary Ablett Jr 119
Jimmy Bartel 109
Trent Cotchin 105
Adam Cooney 103
Sam Mitchell 99
Dane Swan 85
Amazing Oliver managed to rack up 201 contested in his first 18 games.

Amazing Oliver managed to rack up 201 contested in his first 18 games.
I suppose someone in melbourne has to do it. They might as well make the work experience kid do all the hard work.

They flogged us in that very department by 30 on the weekend. Both teams were missing their best contested players too.
Everybody flogs us in that very department.

You do recall we’ve lost our last two games to them ;)
Hahaha! I had no idea that oliver played his first 18 games against us in our last two outings against them. No wonder my post didn't make sense.

So someone thought this a good idea. When does he get time to train if he's running his electorate?
Don't mean to bring politics into it, but thought it's worth sharing, ensuing political debate notwithstanding.

1557618684869.png

My oh my does this boy's disposal need some work!

Going at about 65% - which is Dangerfield levels of accuracy. Just need the commentators to call them ‘uncharacteristic’ turnovers like they do for Danger.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ill tell you right now his disposal is nowhere near the level of danger's as a fact.

You're correct - his disposal has been much better than Danger. There's some serious recency bias going on here. His disposal against GWS was very poor. His disposal throughout this season has ranged from reasonable to good. When given time and space he can drill it onto the chests of our forwards but due to the nature of his role, our weakened midfield and his relative inexperience he is often bombing into long forward in pressure situations. I would argue that for a player whose supposed weakness was his disposal that he has improved admirably and earlier on in the season I felt more confident with Worps ball in hand than Jags. I genuinely think people are forgetting he is a second year player who hasn't even played 20 games. I will acknowledge that his disposal has been dodgy the past two rounds (particularly his handballs in close) but there are a variety of factors that may contribute to this. So yes - improving his disposal should be his priority and he is no doubt working hard on it. But I don't think posts like your above 'my oh my' contribute anything other than putting down his exceptional efforts and may be going the early crow.

Back