Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

26 disposals at 77% DE and 87% time on ground. Some of his hit up kicks, especially the one to Brown the highlight.

High level outside types don't grow on trees.

When the forward group begin gelling better he’ll hit them lace out on the tit a lot!

I thought the commentators were spot on in naming him as one of the guys really working hard to get back into it in the third. Doing the leadership type things when leadership is called upon, great to see. He'll only get better.

I know this is a comment about the Hawks game but i was thinking "Wheretf is Polec" about 2 minutes into the third when he really started to lift. It was very noticeable and a credit to him that was able to lift.

he was great yesterday too, except for missing that shot on goal... (hardly on his own there tho).

He's a ******* gun. Considering that we're still adjusting to having a genuinely elite outside mid in the side, and he's still adjusting to us ignoring said elite outside mid, his first month in the royal blue and white has been excellent. He's still got several more levels too imo as he continues to build that chemistry with the rest of the team. Kicking for goal was a bit off yesterday though.

I mean, i guess you could say that his tackling and that could improve a bit, but I think we knew that was the case and he offers so much else. Wouldn't be surprised if he (and Pittard too actually) are currently in the top 5 of our BnF alongside Cunners and Higgo atm.

Towards the end of the game someone near me said there was about 30 seconds left. So I knew we’d win and I looked for Polec to see his reaction when the siren went, as he’s often been described as aloof and not really heart and soul into a footy clubs culture (that’s me paraphrasing what others have said). Suffice to say he was overjoyed when the siren went and looks to be a shinboner.

Ive seen him live all games in melb so far...I look at polec like this. Will do some crazy stuff and some horrible sh;t stuff like most. However, for me this guys just seems busy. Im happy that he isnt at the bottom of the packs we have the others for that but jeez oozes class, craft and talent. Even that passage of play before half time where he ripped the ball from ahern hands took authority and drilled lase out to BBB or clever snap around to setup up higgins first goals. As mentioned in r4 changes thread..him and hall rises for these outside games especially against the *.

I think the gamble of pick 11 to get a genuine outside ball winner is worth it.

Ive seen him live all games in melb so far...I look at polec like this. Will do some crazy stuff and some horrible sh;t stuff like most. However, for me this guys just seems busy. Im happy that he isnt at the bottom of the packs we have the others for that but jeez oozes class, craft and talent. Even that passage of play before half time where he ripped the ball from ahern hands took authority and drilled lase out to BBB or clever snap around to setup up higgins first goals. As mentioned in r4 changes thread..him and hall rises for these outside games especially against the *.

I think the gamble of pick 11 to get a genuine outside ball winner is worth it.

I agree, always on the move, making things happen.
Wasn't really a gamble though, would have had to use the pick on TT anyway.

Towards the end of the game someone near me said there was about 30 seconds left. So I knew we’d win and I looked for Polec to see his reaction when the siren went, as he’s often been described as aloof and not really heart and soul into a footy clubs culture (that’s me paraphrasing what others have said). Suffice to say he was overjoyed when the siren went and looks to be a shinboner.
Would take anything from Port with a grain of salt.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting comments, wouldn't have thought he would've have rated his own game that highly. Was more wasteful than usual and got caught in traffic a bit.

A good game for some players but his upper limit is way higher imo. For example I thought he played better 2 weeks ago when he was nailing those kicks at goals and sidestepping opponents with ease.

Really not liking some of his efforts in recent weeks.

7 tackles for the whole season is really not on.

I didn’t expect him to win a heap of the footy but the following stats are terrible for a bloke who came here on a big contract:

Games average
- 1.2 tackles
- 1.5 clearances
- 8 pressure acts
- 2.3 One percenters

Needs to up his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a tough player. Doesn't bodyline the ball and isn't strong enough to stick tackles but he is clearly instructed to stay off the pack and you can't point fingers at the outside mid when the clearance mids are that badly embarrassed every week.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-07/prolific-pendles-becomes-the-afls-inside50-king

That's where it becomes more complicated.

North Melbourne's prized recruit Polec is, perhaps, not being recognised enough for the specific outside role he is performing at his third club.

He boasts the best retention and mark percentages from his kicks inside 50 out of the top-50 players in this category, while Ablett ranks third and second, respectively.

North recruit Jared Polec's impressive outside stats have been under-appreciated. Picture: AFL Photos
polecstats.jpg

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-07/prolific-pendles-becomes-the-afls-inside50-king

That's where it becomes more complicated.

North Melbourne's prized recruit Polec is, perhaps, not being recognised enough for the specific outside role he is performing at his third club.

He boasts the best retention and mark percentages from his kicks inside 50 out of the top-50 players in this category, while Ablett ranks third and second, respectively.

North recruit Jared Polec's impressive outside stats have been under-appreciated. Picture: AFL Photos
polecstats.jpg
I think Jared has been great for us. the chemistry with the other boys will only improve with time.

Gets into a lot of good spots, gets burnt by his teammates' atrocious ball use (one example when JMac butchered a kick to him when he'd found space on the member's wing sticks out).
Certainly does go when it's his turn, although he's not the strongest in the contest. His intensity has lifted along with the rest of the team.
Not saying he had a particularly great game or anything today (19 touches at 57%, 5 marks, 4 tackles), but he is class and if we were a smarter side he would be getting more of it and doing more damage.
I think he is settling in well anyway. We'll get many good years out of him.

The players around him are putting him in positions where he's put under massive pressure. I really hate the way he's being coached, it isn't to his strengths at all and theres way more emphasis on his defensive game when he should be the delivery man inside 50.

I mean sure its a part of his game he's been missing but now his offensive play is neglected he can be a real damaging goalkicker off his wing.

I don't know, there needs to be some deeper analysis on this because something isn't right with the way we use Polec compared to Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back