State Focus WA 2019 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most teams would have 3 to 5 players in there best 23 that are PSA aligned. However there are some clubs, Claremont in particular that may have a few more.

Colts teams will still go through 50 to 60 players in season and this is due to a number of reasons.

Last week East Freo turned over a heap of players due to a lot of their players representing WA in SA in two u18 trial games.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I imagine some of you keen WA junior AFL watchers would have seen some of Wil Powell in his underage years?
I'm amazed at how much he has improved this year. Could anyone have seen this with Will?
I wish our draft team traded down because it seems like he was a bolter that we could have got later than 19 given his lack of representative exposure.

185cm and came to the club weighing 65kg, excellent runner, can rise and take a mark, goes in hard despite his frame, skilled, kicks his set shots.
Excluding the game he was injured very early on.
18 disposals, 4.5 marks, 0.7 goals / game. Has made the left wing his own.

Very impressed.

droogs

Rookie
May 6, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
what would the percentage of best 22 colts players in each WAFL club would be in the PSA?
Not sure but
In 2018 there were 9 drafted that were of age and not above the usual draft age.

Four of these were PSA. When you consider that out of the male student cohort in WA PSA only account for approximately 05% the PSA system is producing far more elite players. Maybe it’s the football programmes these schools are providing that are allowing. For greater talent to develop

Docker44

Rookie
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure but
In 2018 there were 9 drafted that were of age and not above the usual draft age.

Four of these were PSA. When you consider that out of the male student cohort in WA PSA only account for approximately 05% the PSA system is producing far more elite players. Maybe it’s the football programmes these schools are providing that are allowing. For greater talent to develop

If I remember correctly 3 of those 4 draftees were bought into those schools on “scholarships”.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The number of over agers you can play is set by the WAFL. This year I believe it has changed and you can only have six year 2000 born players in any team.

Last years over agers were kids born before July 99. Subi didn't play a lot of over agers they had a lot of top agers, and this has hurt them this year.

Historically Claremont have dominatd the colts comp and they have always played a lot of top agers.

The quality of your colts team has nothing to do with the number of players in State squads. Subi dominated the colts comp last year and only had three players in the 18's squad.

A couple of years ago East Freo were easily the best colts team throughout the home and away season and hardly had any in the 18's squad.

The quality of your colts teams depends on your depth. Peel have great depth as they have the biggest district. Historically Subi have been belted in the colts as they have the smallest district. East Freo have a good development system and this is shown by there recent consistency in the colts comp.

Well said. Is quite amazing to continue to see people foaming on about this though! I guess it has forever happened and will forever be the case.

The attributes which make a player successful in a state league or underage competition are not necessarily the attributes which are desirable in the AFL system. Furthermore, the question of team balance also must come into consideration.

droogs

Rookie
May 6, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Well said. Is quite amazing to continue to see people foaming on about this though! I guess it has forever happened and will forever be the case.

The attributes which make a player successful in a state league or underage competition are not necessarily the attributes which are desirable in the AFL system. Furthermore, the question of team balance also must come into consideration.

Valid points. Foaming haha. I think people get a chip on their shoulder about the PSA system. Where in reality kids will get noticed both in the colts and the PSA if they are good enough

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Valid points. Foaming haha. I think people get a chip on their shoulder about the PSA system. Where in reality kids will get noticed both in the colts and the PSA if they are good enough

The foaming comment was more in regard to the fallacy that because team x is higher on the ladder then more players from x should be in the development squad than team y.

The colts system is essential. There are many kids from country & lower socioeconomic areas who come through the system that otherwise would not. While I haven't been in a position to judge directly for a few years now, at that point the colts were well and far beyond the quality of football that school system provided. I don't feel this has changed substantially based on what I have seen and heard in the past few years despite a lesser involvement.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Great post, I don't know enough about the PSA system to comment but had the same sentiments about the Colts system. A family friend told me recently that their son who had never played football before was getting a call up to play PSA Footy but I know of many good players struggling to makes Colts sides.
You don’t get a ‘call up’ to play PSA. The boys nominate their winter sport and if they nominate footy then their school has to put them in a team. It’s compulsory!

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Just goes to show that selectors go with who they know rather then current form else Peel would have a lot more than 2 selections. Highlights the importance of getting in early in your career. In saying that though, 17 players who did not play 18s or 16s last year were selected.

Surely SF / EP's 1 and 2 would be better than the 10th / 11th East Freo player?
What’s your thoughts on Chad warner though? I’ve never seen his name before this year. Is the 18s the final team? Is there another cut? Or do they all play somewhere along the way?

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
What’s your thoughts on Chad warner though? I’ve never seen his name before this year. Is the 18s the final team? Is there another cut? Or do they all play somewhere along the way?

Sorry must have missed your Q earlier, I didn't notice him during the game but I generally don't watch the opposition unless it is a player who has already been identified as talent.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry must have missed your Q earlier, I didn't notice him during the game but I generally don't watch the opposition unless it is a player who has already been identified as talent.
I watched him on Friday night. Very strong, finds the pill. Stands up in tackles and then usually releases to the right option. 2nd best afield behind Robertsen on Friday night IMO as they 18s won in a low scoring affair against East Perth Reserves at Leederville.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I watched him on Friday night. Very strong, finds the pill. Stands up in tackles and then usually releases to the right option. 2nd best afield behind Robertsen on Friday night IMO as they 18s won in a low scoring affair against East Perth Reserves at Leederville.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
https://thewest.com.au/sport/peel-t...l-under-18-championships-squad-ng-b881209417z

No mention of Warner but a good write up nonetheless from that game. I heard that Aquinas is happy to let Sharp and Ruscoe play the state 18s game tomorrow and let them out of PSA footy today? maybe Aquinas is weakening their stance especially after Sharp was injured last week at school footy.

droogs

Rookie
May 6, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
https://thewest.com.au/sport/peel-t...l-under-18-championships-squad-ng-b881209417z

No mention of Warner but a good write up nonetheless from that game. I heard that Aquinas is happy to let Sharp and Ruscoe play the state 18s game tomorrow and let them out of PSA footy today? maybe Aquinas is weakening their stance especially after Sharp was injured last week at school footy.

State overrules PSA. But development doesn’t

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
State overrules PSA. But development doesn’t

as in development at wafl? I see what you mean. they'll let them play state games but not wafl. but sharp injured himself at last Saturdays PSA game the day after the state match on the Friday night. do you think that was his choice to play on the Saturday?

droogs

Rookie
May 6, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
as in development at wafl? I see what you mean. they'll let them play state games but not wafl. but sharp injured himself at last Saturdays PSA game the day after the state match on the Friday night. do you think that was his choice to play on the Saturday?

If he had a state game on Friday then he would not be permitted to play another game that weekend. Rule is one game so probably played without permission.

Futures on today and many PSA kids not playing as they have to prioritise PSA first. The state 16’s play tomorrow so only permitted to play that game. Development sides are also saying that they are not permitted to play a second game this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back