The Title Race

Who do you want to win the league/who do you think will win the league?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think this has just been a freak pair of seasons, or are squads at the top of the league so deep now that injuries and rotation won’t have such an impact on consistency of performance as it had in the past, and 90+ points will be the target from now on?
Liverpool hasn't been rotated as much as other teams. Van Dijk, Alisson and Salah have played every game. Salah has started all but 1. Robertson has started all but 2, Firmino 31, Mane 33. They have rotated more through the FA and League cups than anything. City have rotated heavily, more injury induced than Liverpool (De Bruyne, Aguero and the defenders have had a fair few injuries). Both have used 21 players, but have had 2 start more than 30 (Alisson being the obvious). Liverpool have had 7.

If we win I think we'll see a drop off next season. Hard to maintain that sort of pace over three seasons.

With Liverpool, I think it'll depend if they can keep the squad together. You'd think if they can keep their main players they'll be up there again next season.

If we win I think we'll see a drop off next season. Hard to maintain that sort of pace over three seasons.

With Liverpool, I think it'll depend if they can keep the squad together. You'd think if they can keep their main players they'll be up there again next season.
If you do drop off. Surely you'd prioritise winning that elusive Champions League title.

If you do drop off. Surely you'd prioritise winning that elusive Champions League title.

I'm sure we will at some stage. I think Pep had half an eye on the quadruple this season. Didn't really weaken a team in any comp.

Neither team deserves to lose after playing this well for a season, but if it stays this way it might be fitting if City edge it based on the head to head fixtures. Both games were very close but City probably just had the better of the play in both of them.

I'm sure we will at some stage. I think Pep had half an eye on the quadruple this season. Didn't really weaken a team in any comp.
I know a trophy is a trophy. But maybe putting the foot off the pedal in the FA/League cups and more effort on the CL could be the difference.

Do you think this has just been a freak pair of seasons, or are squads at the top of the league so deep now that injuries and rotation won’t have such an impact on consistency of performance as it had in the past, and 90+ points will be the target from now on?
It's more you've got really ******* good players and really ******* good managers.

It's more you've got really ******* good players and really ******* good managers.
Yeah pretty much. Klopp and Pep are up there at the very top of management. Plus we both have world class players all over the pitch.

I won't give up on this season but it seems unlikely we will beat City. But hopefully next season we can do it. I don't think any of our best players will leave like in previous seasons where we have seen the likes of Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho leave etc.

I have small hope that City's best players are actually getting on a bit. Aguero and Fernandinho are two of their most important players. Fernandinho is pushing 34 and I think Aguero is in his early 30s now.

Clutching at straws I know. But I live in hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are too. Still probably won't be enough to win the title.
Which sucks.

I think if we win against Wolves and City win out, we will finish with the 3rd most points ever in a season.

Behind City's total last season and 1 point behind this season.

How typically Liverpool haha

Liverpool fans are entitled to feel gutted.
Most other seasons they would have romped away with the title with their points tally, i don't think this trophy less season should be considered a failure at all, i suppose that is cold comfort for Scousers.

Can’t call it a bottle job on a potential 97 points, but what will get thrown at Liverpool was the fact they were 7 points ahead at one stage. I believe they went to the Etihad at that point and didn’t really do themselves justice in that match. All the stuff about them being the only club in recent years who were top at Christmas and didn’t go on to win the league (3 times that’s happened) will also now become a meme. But on the flip side they are up against a club who are flouting the rules, but for some reason the media downplay that aspect

Can’t call it a bottle job on a potential 97 points, but what will get thrown at Liverpool was the fact they were 7 points ahead at one stage. I believe they went to the Etihad at that point and didn’t really do themselves justice in that match. All the stuff about them being the only club in recent years who were top at Christmas and didn’t go on to win the league (3 times that’s happened) will also now become a meme. But on the flip side they are up against a club who are flouting the rules, but for some reason the media downplay that aspect

Yeah, City dropped 13 points in the first half of the season. Who knew they’d only drop 3* points in the next 19? Across a whole season, we will only drop 1 more point*. And 2 combined goalie technology-ruled goals were separated by less than 3cm... Pretty gutting.

and those rules are?

Back