Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

My eyes are bleeding
There’s a reason I don’t read an AFL media, it’s because of the hysterical s**t that it creates.

Chads finding his way in a new side. He’s not leading the brownlow chase, shock horror!

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There’s a reason I don’t read an AFL media, it’s because of the hysterical **** that it creates.

Chads finding his way in a new side. He’s not leading the brownlow chase, shock horror!
Add to the that is that he is not the only one finding his way in this team and Tommy M is not there.

I’m still pissed about our performance and want improvement but putting players in the gun after four games is farkedup

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Everyone has been willing to give past recruits 12 months to learn our systems find cohesion with the team. Any reason why Chad is not being given the same leeway especially after an interrupted pre-season and 4 games to date? Chad is building and will be ok.

SO what you are saying is we recruited a B+ midfielder?

Comparing a forward to a midfielder by ranking 'ranking points' is utterly pointless.

Wingard as a mid, is not in the top 30 mids in the competition.

Clarko has been on the record why he was recruited. It's nothing to do with not being fit enough to play through the middle.

Now, the real question is can he get back to his electric best as a high-half forward.I hope so.

edit: he was never a forward pocket but a high-half forward that worked up and back.
Mind you our midfield depth is pretty woeful so a B+ mid world offer something.
And FWIW I thought burton stagnated in 2018

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
We won't get the best out of Chad until we solve our midfield woes. We need TOM back, and we need another A grade midfielder on top of him.

Small forwards need quantity, and quality of ball delivered to them. Breust did well on Saturday, but nothing left for Chad.

Since this season looks to be pretty tough, the coaching staff should/will be trying to build his fitness to add some midfield minutes to his game, but he isn't going to go from a primary small forward to a primary midfielder in a few weeks (or perhaps ever, depending on his running ability).

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Chad has had a couple of poor games. But its going around... I have only read the headline (not full article), but it seems Robbo is claiming the new big man at Richmond is in a slump and playing poorly at moment (1 goal from last 3 matches I think). Point is, new recruits can take a while to find their place. And half our side seems out of form right now...

Haven't most of our new recruits from other clubs taken a while to gel with what Hawthorn is and how we play? Remember Gunston being given an asbolute earful by Lewis, early in his career, during a game at Etihad.

Chad will come good. Seems he was struggling to have an impact and ended up getting in the way of other players, in an attempt to find the pill a bit.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So much hysteria around Chad, it happens with big name recruits. I think the best thing for us to do would be to give the guy the chance to get the footy, let him play midfield minutes, he was dynamic the last 6 weeks at Port. Under our current game style and structures, along with the pathetic performances by the long term senior players, the poor guy is not getting legitimate opportunity to perform.

I didn't mind that Chad got some stern words, but I wasn't a great fan that it was done by Ruff and Pop who have been borderline useless for long periods of the season, it seems like it was a little frustration from their end as they have been poor and they thought that Chad had some way contributed to it.

Anyone else notice how Jags trotted over, heard what was being said and gave a little tap to Chad and then jogged off... No coincidence that Jags is having a career season and Pop and Ruff are stamping their papers.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So much hysteria around Chad, it happens with big name recruits. I think the best thing for us to do would be to give the guy the chance to get the footy, let him play midfield minutes, he was dynamic the last 6 weeks at Port. Under our current game style and structures, along with the pathetic performances by the long term senior players, the poor guy is not getting legitimate opportunity to perform.

I didn't mind that Chad got some stern words, but I wasn't a great fan that it was done by Ruff and Pop who have been borderline useless for long periods of the season, it seems like it was a little frustration from their end as they have been poor and they thought that Chad had some way contributed to it.

Anyone else notice how Jags trotted over, heard what was being said and gave a little tap to Chad and then jogged off... No coincidence that Jags is having a career season and Pop and Ruff are stamping their papers.

It was very weird to watch. I'm sure there was good reason for it - Pop and Roughy have been around long enough to know the gameplan and Chad is still learning the Hawthorn way - but to remonstrate with him in such a manner with the greedy eyes of the media watching was not a good look. They basically singled him out which is unfair because there are a lot of problems. Stern discussions should be left to the rooms. And O'Meara is our next captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was very weird to watch. I'm sure there was good reason for it - Pop and Roughy have been around long enough to know the gameplan and Chad is still learning the Hawthorn way - but to remonstrate with him in such a manner with the greedy eyes of the media watching was not a good look. They basically singled him out which is unfair because there are a lot of problems. Stern discussions should be left to the rooms. And O'Meara is our next captain.

Yeah listen I am torn, I don’t think it was a big big deal and I genuinely felt Chad handled it well. I would have preferred Shiels or Omera direct him, even Gunno who seems more measured and was performing. To have 2 senior boys who are just about finished single out a new recruit who is still quite young was not great, like I said, I feel like it was done because they are equally frustrated with how bad they have both been going.

Logically both Ruff and Pop should be filtered out of the senior team, in particular Ruff looks like he is moving like a bloke turning 50 rather than 33.

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whatever happened with Roughy and Pop means nothing. I’d be worried if the players weren’t getting frustrated the way we’re playing.
Anyone here ever changed job/ workplace? I’m no AFL footballer or anything but for me personally it takes time to make sense of new surroundings, a new town, new people and trying to break into already formed relationships. Wingard looks like a fish out of water at the moment but he certainly doesn’t give the vibe he doesn’t care- just that he’s not sure how to go about helping yet. I’m surprised theres Hawk supporters potting him, give the bloke a chance.

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wingard is on record stating that away from football, he doesnt watch any other games, and has little interest in the game. This is a poor attitude and reflected in his last moments at Port. Going by the weekend roasting, by club leaders, Clarko or self motivation is not enough for Wingard. This could go downhill very quickly.

By that logic, i should only watch shows about accountants and hang out on accounting forums. Otherwise i have a bad attitude, right?

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
84F46825-55D2-4B75-A40A-803D404F0918.jpeg

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wingard is on record stating that away from football, he doesnt watch any other games, and has little interest in the game. This is a poor attitude and reflected in his last moments at Port.

Chris Mew once supposedly drove home straight after we won a flag rather than going out celebrating. I doubt he watched too many other games. Noone would question him over that nor his level of effort, he was an out and out champ. Chad may have issues but i personally wouldnt hold that against him.

Chris Mew once supposedly drove home straight after we won a flag rather than going out celebrating. I doubt he watched too many other games. Noone would question him over that nor his level of effort, he was an out and out champ. Chad may have issues but i personally wouldnt hold that against him.
Dead right mate

By that logic, i should only watch shows about accountants and hang out on accounting forums. Otherwise i have a bad attitude, right?
No, nice twist, but the word ONLY is wrong here. You should take an interest, if you didn't watch any videos at all on accounting that is different to ONLY watching accounting accounting videos. I disagree with the rhetoric by the way, I don't think it indicates a bad attitude, but the poster didn't say "He should ONLY watch afl" he said he didn't watch ANY afl.

Back