Geelong vs Golden State Warriors - has AFL equalisation failed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Feb 15, 2019
Liverpool
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
Upon hearing the news of Geelong trying to lure Jeremy Cameron, I can't help but be reminded of Kevin Durant leaving the Thunder to go to the Golden State Warriors.

Funny enough while Geelong remind me of the Warriors, my followed AFL club the Giants remind me of my followed NBA team the Thunder.

This coupled with Geelong's phenomenal domination of the AFL much like the Warriors domination of the NBA, you can't help but feel that AFL equalisation policies have failed.

Do you agree that the AFL equalisation policies have failed, and what policies can be brought in to try and stop 1 team dominating year in, year out?

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Equalisation was merely a smoke screen for the lack of integrity that the AFL has!

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
AFL might be the most even competition in the world.
12/18 clubs have made a GF this decade. The clubs that missed are 2 of the richest clubs, 2 expansion teams, and North/Brisbane.

Geelong are in a great location and are a well run club so they're always going to be a good side, but it's been 8 seasons since they have won a premiership.

If this was post 2008 Grand Final Geelong trying to lure Buddy, I'd be inclined to agree. Bit Geelong really can't be compared to the Warriors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever m8.

Now go and trade Ben Brown for 7 players, 2 future protected first round picks and cash considerations would ya?

"Golden State" and "West Coast" are two of the few world franchises not based on a actual city or town.

Given though that GS play out of the most technological advanced progressive urban area on Earth, with an economy based on knowledge and education, and West Coast play out of Perth, it is where the similarities stop.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
"Golden State" and "West Coast" are two of the few world franchises not based on a actual city or town.

Golden State are moving from Oracle Arena in Oakland to the brand new Chase Center in San Fran across the bay,

West Coast just moved from Subiaco Oval in (funnily enough) Subiaco to the brand new Optus Stadium in Burswood across the river. Club base is just nearby in Lathlain.

Say whaaaaat?

Given though that GS play out of the most technological advanced progressive urban area on Earth, with an economy based on knowledge and education, and West Coast play out of Perth, it is where the similarities stop.

Permission for lip to wobble?

North Melbourne/"team for all strayans" Kangaroos remind me of the Raiders in the NFL.

The Oakland Raiders moved to L.A. And then back to Oakland. No one in L.A. Seemed to notice. /BASEketball

I hear Vegas is lovely, though.

Golden State is based in Oakland and West Coast is based in Perth..

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
As silly as the comparisons are a salary cap loses its effectiveness when top end talent earn so much. Top end talent are easily able to set themselves up for life over multiple seasons and can then play for less money than other clubs are willing to pay for the chance of success. The problem is the players are people, not for profit companies, and hence money isn't the only objective when deciding which contract to sign.
It's not really fair to force players to go to the highest bidder but maybe players should be valued independently rather than using a dollar figure. This does however open up another can of worms entirely.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Ignoring the cultural impact and importance to the city that North don't have, and the ridiculous level of ongoing support despite years of being awful North could also be the Knicks.

Kawhi? KD? LeBron? Thompson? More likely to be the next Joakim Noah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back