Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

All Cats except Stewart you have over rated.

How is Mark O'Connor in front of Simpkin, Venables, Darcy, DeBoer & Ronke?

I would also take these KP players before Ratugolea - Marshall & McInerney
I havnt overrated anyone. Original post was made by another poster.

Anything of value to add? Which selection do you disagree with?
Okay, yeah lets see;

Mark O'Connor is nowhere near the top 20. That is laughable.

Brandan Parfitt is not top 6. McGrath and Berry are well ahead of him for starters.

Ratugolea is a key forward with time in the ruck and he averages less than a goal a game (9 career goals). - Todd Marshall has been a better player with the same amount of games.

All Cats except Stewart you have over rated.

How is Mark O'Connor in front of Simpkin, Venables, Darcy, DeBoer & Ronke?

I would also take these KP players before Ratugolea - Marshall & McInerney

Simpkin and Venables have shown nothing. De Boer was a re-draftee, so doesn't count. Ronke has dropped off considerably, and Darcy hasn't appeared in a while. If I was pushed, I'd include Marshall and Darcy, but the key reasoning behind my including of players, is their consistent rise and not stagnating like some others. Parfitt has already entrenched himself in a midfield with Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan. Ratugolea had a big year last year up until his injury, and has been slow this year. Could probably take him out for Darcy, which I might do. Henry has been phenomenal since debut, as has O'Connor. Just because you don't watch our games, doesn't mean I'm not right. O'Connor has taken Tuohy's spot, that's how good he's been. Henry is keeping Henderson out, who is no slouch.

It's laughable that people have others ahead of Parfitt, given how much he's shown already in his short career. Berry has been predominantly a tagger up until this year, and McGrath has not come on like people thought he would. Has good games, but goes missing far too often. It was a shallow draft anyway, so there's not exactly many except the top 5 really 'lighting it up.'

Also, it seems like most of you idiots didn't catch this important line in my heading - 'based on current form.' Cats are the most miserly team in the league right now, and a big part of that is due to Henry and O'Connor. Henry has a rising star nom, and O'Connor has come from nowhere to entrench himself in a very strong backline. Parfitt had a huge year last year, but maybe could drop a few spots based on form this year. On reflection, Ratugolea is the one I'm taking out, and replacing with Darcy, due to his shaky form coming back from injury this year.

Last edited:
Simpkin and Venables have shown nothing. De Boer was a re-draftee, so doesn't count. Ronke has dropped off considerably, and Darcy hasn't appeared in a while. If I was pushed, I'd include Ronke and Darcy, but the key reasoning behind my including of players, is their consistent rise and not stagnating like some others. Parfitt has already entrenched himself in a midfield with Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan. Ratugolea had a big year last year up until his injury, and has been slow this year. Could probably take him out for Darcy, which I might do. Henry has been phenomenal since debut, as has O'Connor. Just because you don't watch our games, doesn't mean I'm not right. O'Connor has taken Tuohy's spot, that's how good he's been. Henry is keeping Henderson out, who is no slouch.

It's laughable that people have others ahead of Parfitt, given how much he's shown already in his short career. Berry has been predominantly a tagger up until this year, and McGrath has not come on like people thought he would. Has good games, but goes missing far too often. It was a shallow draft anyway, so there's not exactly many except the top 5 really 'lighting it up.'

Also, it seems like most of you idiots didn't catch this important line in my heading - 'based on current form.' Cats are the most miserly team in the league right now, and a big part of that is due to Henry and O'Connor. Henry has a rising star nom, and O'Connor has come from nowhere to entrench himself in a very strong backline. Parfitt had a huge year last year, but maybe could drop a few spots based on form this year. On reflection, Ratugolea is the one I'm taking out, and replacing with Darcy, due to his shaky form coming back from injury this year.
Lol Theres so many things wrong with this response. I know more about your club than you do.

1. O'Connor is keeping out Touhy? Wrong. Injured - hasnt even returned through VFL.

2. Henry keeping out Henderson? Wrong, he's just returned from injury on the weekend.

Venables is a premiership player. Jy's played 40 games - he had 27 touches and 2 goals, 2 days ago.

'Based on current form' Parfitt is averaging 17 touches this year as a midfielder..... That 'current form' is below average.

Last edited:
Keep a close eye on Berry the next time you watch Brisbane play and maybe try and redo the list without your Geelong bias.

I must have a Brisbane bias too, because Witherden is at 7 and McLuggage is at 3...Berry is at 12 just because I rate others slightly higher in his position. Played mostly as a tagger last year and role player, and is only really finding his way into the mids as his own ball winner this year. Parfitt, McGrath, SPP, SPS and Witherden have shown more than him to date IMO. I watch every game by the way, so p*ss off with that nonsense.

We're the top team right now, and those who are making our best 22, have earned it. Hence, why they rank in this list. Henry got a rising star nom last year, and has kept his spot since about Round 4 of last year. Not an easy task. O'Connor snuck in based on how well he's started this year, but I've replaced him with Marshall for now, along with Ratugolea being replaced by Darcy, but that's line ball considering Darcy hasn't even played this year. Just a bunch of sooks you all are

Last edited:
Lol Theres so many things wrong with this response. I know more about your club than you do.

1. O'Connor is keeping out Touhy? Wrong. Injured - hasnt even returned through VFL.

2. Henry keeping out Henderson? Wrong, he's just returned from injury on the weekend.

Venables is a premiership player. Jy's played 40 games - he had 27 touches and 2 goals, 2 days ago.

'Based on current form' Parfitt is averaging 17 touches this year as a midfielder..... That 'current form' is rubbish.

Jy has played 40 games in a nothing side, and had 27 disposals and 2 goals in a game against witches hats, that the Carlton women's side would have performed better in.

Actually, you don't really know anything. Might want to check your smugness before commenting. Tuohy played in Round 6 against West Coast, after playing two VFL games, then was rested against Essendon, due to soreness. Henderson played in the first round, and returned from injury again on the weekend. Still can't crack the team though. O'Connor has played all 7 games this year, with others moving around and shuffling in and out. He only snuck in based on the lack others, but I've replaced him with Marshall and Ratugolea with Darcy, for now.

Venables is a premiership player, like Townsend was a premiership player. He played 2 or 3 games at the right time, when injuries struck. Has shown nothing over his career that warrants being picked as high as he was. Parfitt still had a massive JLT series, and has only averaged a low amount of touches, because he was building form again after injury. Still has the runs on the board. Averaged over 20 disposals in his first season, and even better last year. Move on

Last edited:
Jy has played 40 games in a nothing side, and had 27 disposals and 2 goals in a game the Carton women's side would have performed better in.

Actually, you don't really know anything. Might want to check your smugness before commenting. Tuohy played in Round 6 against West Coast, then was rested against Essendon, due to soreness. Henderson played in the first round, and returned from injury again on the weekend. Still can't crack the team though. O'Connor has played all 7 games this year, with others moving around and shuffling in and out.

Venables is a premiership player, like Townsend was a premiership player. He played 2 or 3 games at the right time, when injuries struck. Has shown nothing over his career that warrants being picked as high as he was. Parfitt still had a massive JLT series, and has only averaged a low amount of touches, because he was building form again. Still has the runs on the board. Averaged over 20 disposals in his first season, and even better last year. Move on
the hypocrisy.

You just admitted Touhy isnt being kept out the side and you just said Henderson just returned from injury.

You also keep alluding to last years stats after stating that all us idiots need to focus on current form. hahahaha

Simpkin and Venables have shown nothing. De Boer was a re-draftee, so doesn't count. Ronke has dropped off considerably, and Darcy hasn't appeared in a while. If I was pushed, I'd include Ronke and Darcy, but the key reasoning behind my including of players, is their consistent rise and not stagnating like some others. Parfitt has already entrenched himself in a midfield with Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan. Ratugolea had a big year last year up until his injury, and has been slow this year. Could probably take him out for Darcy, which I might do. Henry has been phenomenal since debut, as has O'Connor. Just because you don't watch our games, doesn't mean I'm not right. O'Connor has taken Tuohy's spot, that's how good he's been. Henry is keeping Henderson out, who is no slouch.

Hang on - What has O'Connor shown? Simpkins 27 touches and 2 goals on the weekend is miles better than anythin O'Conner has produced. He will spend a lot more time in the midfield from now on.

Parfit is a 17 touch per game midfielder.

Ratugolea had a big year last year? He kicked 7 goals in 8 games avergaed 8 touches and 3 marks??? Big year? Rose coloured glasses at its best.

the hypocrisy.

You just admitted Touhy isnt being kept out the side and you just said Henderson just returned from injury.

You also keep alluding to last years stats after stating that all us idiots need to focus on current form. hahahaha

.... You really aren't that bright are you...?

...You're the one who said Tuohy hadn't played a game this year, I corrected that notion. Henderson wasn't picked for our first game, due to not making the cut for our best 22. Henry and O'Connor took billing over him in Round 1. Taylor pulled up sore, Henderson came in. I never said Tuohy was kept out of the side, I said Tuohy was kept out of his SPOT, not out of the side. Moron. Tuohy looks like he'll be pushed up onto the wing, given O'Connor form.

I also love that you're questioning me, when you smugly said 'I know more about your team than you do', then when you were corrected about Tuohy actually having played games this year, you somehow tried to turn it around like I was being hypocritical.

You also alluded to Simpkin, off one game, brought up Venables, using last year, and then told me they should both be included because one was a premiership player and the other has shown not much in his 40 games. I responded by saying Parfitt has more runs on the board and explaining their form to date, and I'm being hypocritical by using your measure of things?

This is pathetic. You've started something over nothing, because just like most North supporters, you try and maintain relevance. Send me a message when you actually have an opinion worth caring about.

Jy has played 40 games in a nothing side, and had 27 disposals and 2 goals in a game against witches hats, that the Carlton women's side would have performed better in.

Actually, you don't really know anything. Might want to check your smugness before commenting. Tuohy played in Round 6 against West Coast, after playing two VFL games, then was rested against Essendon, due to soreness. Henderson played in the first round, and returned from injury again on the weekend. Still can't crack the team though. O'Connor has played all 7 games this year, with others moving around and shuffling in and out. He only snuck in based on the lack others, but I've replaced him with Marshall and Ratugolea with Darcy, for now.

Venables is a premiership player, like Townsend was a premiership player. He played 2 or 3 games at the right time, when injuries struck. Has shown nothing over his career that warrants being picked as high as he was. Parfitt still had a massive JLT series, and has only averaged a low amount of touches, because he was building form again after injury. Still has the runs on the board. Averaged over 20 disposals in his first season, and even better last year. Move on

I would log of an stop posting for a little while.

Parfitt in 2017 - his 1st season - averaged just 13 disposals per game.
Parfitt in 2018 - avergaed 18 disposlas.
Parfitt in 2019 - averging 17 dispoals.

Not sure you should be making things up to try and prove your point.

Hang on - What has O'Connor shown? Simpkins 27 touches and 2 goals on the weekend is miles better than anythin O'Conner has produced. He will spend a lot more time in the midfield from now on.

Parfit is a 17 touch per game midfielder.

Ratugolea had a big year last year? He kicked 7 goals in 8 games avergaed 8 touches and 3 marks??? Big year? Rose coloured glasses at its best.

He's actually a 20 touch per game midfielder, at nearly a goal a game when played in position...but sure lets quibble over 2 disposals a game. Have you watched O'Connor this year? You're taking one game from Simpkin against a nothing side, over 7 games of exposed form from the best defence in the league, that's on top of the ladder? FFS, you North supporters will grasp at anything to keep yourselves in the conversation won't you?

He's actually a 20 touch per game midfielder, at nearly a goal a game when played in position...but sure lets quibble over 2 disposals a game. Have you watched O'Connor this year? You're taking one game from Simpkin against a nothing side, over 7 games of exposed form from the best defence in the league, that's on top of the ladder? FFS, you North supporters will grasp at anything to keep yourselves in the conversation won't you?

He's a 20 touch and nearly a goal a game midfielder except in reality he is a 16 touch .5 goal a game midfilder.

You're on fire!!!

I'm no essendon fan but McGrath is a long way in front. The only stats Parfitt lead him in are tackles, clangers, inside 50 & turnaovers!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have a Brisbane bias too, because Witherden is at 7 and McLuggage is at 3...Berry is at 12 just because I rate others slightly higher in his position. Played mostly as a tagger last year and role player, and is only really finding his way into the mids as his own ball winner this year. Parfitt, McGrath, SPP, SPS and Witherden have shown more than him to date IMO. I watch every game by the way, so p*ss off with that nonsense.

We're the top team right now, and those who are making our best 22, have earned it. Hence, why they rank in this list. Henry got a rising star nom last year, and has kept his spot since about Round 4 of last year. Not an easy task. O'Connor snuck in based on how well he's started this year, but I've replaced him with Marshall for now, along with Ratugolea being replaced by Darcy, but that's line ball considering Darcy hasn't even played this year. Just a bunch of sooks you all are

Yep Witherden is too high (I included him in your Geelong bias as he played for Geelong Falcons). Berry didn't play mostly as a tagger or role player last year. He actually played more as an inside mid last year and has played more outside this year.

Simpkin and Venables have shown nothing. De Boer was a re-draftee, so doesn't count. Ronke has dropped off considerably, and Darcy hasn't appeared in a while. If I was pushed, I'd include Marshall and Darcy, but the key reasoning behind my including of players, is their consistent rise and not stagnating like some others. Parfitt has already entrenched himself in a midfield with Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan. Ratugolea had a big year last year up until his injury, and has been slow this year. Could probably take him out for Darcy, which I might do. Henry has been phenomenal since debut, as has O'Connor. Just because you don't watch our games, doesn't mean I'm not right. O'Connor has taken Tuohy's spot, that's how good he's been. Henry is keeping Henderson out, who is no slouch.

I get it, I support the club who loves to overrate their players more than any but on your factual issues with this post:
- Parfitt only came in to the side on the weekend when Selwood was scratched
- Tuohy was a late out so can’t have been kept out by another player
- McGrath hasn’t come on as far as some others but he’s demonstrated a lot more than a bloke who was playing VFL until Selwood was taken out of the side
- Ratugolea, just wow

Jy Simpkin:

2017 av - 11.1 disposals and 0.7 goals a game
2018 av - 14.8 disposals and 0.5 goals a game
2019 av - 16.6 disposals and 0.3 goals a game (take out inflated game against witches hats and it's 14.6 and 0 goals this year)

Yeah...what a player...

I get it, I support the club who loves to overrate their players more than any but on your factual issues with this post:
- Parfitt only came in to the side on the weekend when Selwood was scratched
- Tuohy was a late out so can’t have been kept out by another player
- McGrath hasn’t come on as far as some others but he’s demonstrated a lot more than a bloke who was playing VFL until Selwood was taken out of the side
- Ratugolea, just wow

Tuohy was kept out of his position, and might be moved to the wing. Already clarified. Ratugolea has already been changed

.... You really aren't that bright are you...?

...You're the one who said Tuohy hadn't played a game this year, I corrected that notion. Henderson wasn't picked for our first game, due to not making the cut for our best 22. Henry and O'Connor took billing over him in Round 1. Taylor pulled up sore, Henderson came in. I never said Tuohy was kept out of the side, I said Tuohy was kept out of his SPOT, not out of the side. Moron. Tuohy looks like he'll be pushed up onto the wing, given O'Connor form.

I also love that you're questioning me, when you smugly said 'I know more about your team than you do', then when you were corrected about Tuohy actually having played games this year, you somehow tried to turn it around like I was being hypocritical.

You also alluded to Simpkin, off one game, brought up Venables, using last year, and then told me they should both be included because one was a premiership player and the other has shown not much in his 40 games. I responded by saying Parfitt has more runs on the board and explaining their form to date, and I'm being hypocritical by using your measure of things?

This is pathetic. You've started something over nothing, because just like most North supporters, you try and maintain relevance. Send me a message when you actually have an opinion worth caring about.

To sum up your side

"You idiots need to focus on current form but how good was Ratugolea last year with his 8 goals."

"You idiots need to focus on current form but Parfitts got more runs on the board"

"Henderson is being kept out of the side but only returned from injury on the weekend - but he didnt play round 1??? (Irrelevant) "

"Simpkin hasn't shown much in recent form but lets ignore his most recent game"

"Tuouhy 'might' play on a wing because O'Connor's a better defender than him now" - good coaching logic.

Im done.

He's a 20 touch and nearly a goal a game midfielder except in reality he is a 16 touch .5 goal a game midfilder.

You're on fire!!!

I'm no essendon fan but McGrath is a long way in front. The only stats Parfitt lead him in are tackles, clangers, inside 50 & turnaovers!!

When played in position...if he's not playing in the midfield...then he's not a midfielder...he played forward for his lower disposal numbers. It's like dealing with children here

To sum up your side

"You idiots need to focus on current form but how good was Ratugolea last year with his 8 goals."

"You idiots need to focus on current form but Parfitts got more runs on the board"

"Henderson is being kept out of the side but only returned from injury on the weekend - but he didnt play round 1??? (Irrelevant) "

"Simpkin hasn't shown much in recent form but lets ignore his most recent game"

Im done.

Yeah .... that actually that doesn't sum up any of what I said, but good try. Have a participation medal

Jy Simpkin:

2017 av - 11.1 disposals and 0.7 goals a game
2018 av - 14.8 disposals and 0.5 goals a game
2019 av - 16.6 disposals and 0.3 goals a game (take out inflated game against witches hats and it's 14.6 and 0 goals this year)

Yeah...what a player...
This is an easy game.

Mark O'Connor

2017 av - 10.5 disposals 2 games
2018 av - 11.6 disposals 5 games
2019 av - 13.8 disposals 7 games

Yeah...what a player... Jy has played more games and out performed him each year.

This is an easy game.

Mark O'Connor

2017 av - 10.5 disposals 2 games
2018 av - 11.6 disposals 5 games
2019 av - 13.8 disposals 7 games

Yeah...what a player... Jy has played more games and out performed him each year.

Is it really? One is a (supposed) midfielder, and the other is a lock down defender...awkward

When played in position...if he's not playing in the midfield...then he's not a midfielder...he played forward for his lower disposal numbers. It's like dealing with children here

"Parfitt has already entrenched himself in a midfield with Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan"

So he is entrenched in the midfield but only played midfield twice this year? That is full entrenched.

Look I'm just gonna say my last piece on Simpkin...He got omitted from a side placed last on the ladder, in Round 6. O'Connor and Henry have kept their places in a side first on the ladder. That's it. I'm done. Just going to ignore the lot of you lol

"Parfitt has already entrenched himself in a midfield with Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan"

So he is entrenched in the midfield but only played midfield twice this year? That is full entrenched.

He's been injured. Derp. Wasn't meant to return last week, but did because of Selwood's late out. Seriously...children...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back