Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this is not the right thread and not sure if it has already been brought up.
But it does respond to the North performance.
There is a large spread article on the Blues in 'Herald Sun" today. The article talks about the Blues dirty dozen.
12 points why we are where we are at. Uses alot of Champion data in the analysis.
Anyway I thought it was very insightful and pretty much on the money.
Have a read if you get a chance. Interested in your thoughts?
Go Blues
I find it a bit misleading personally. Champion data doesn't actually classify players until they have played 10 games in the past two years, so players like stocker, setterfield, Gibbons, Lobbe (maybe I can't 100% remember), and another one or two others that are rated poor (I think it was 5 of the 8), wouldn't actually be classified as such. If we remove that, there is actually only one more player in below average-poor, than there is in above average-elite. Fix that and suddenly you can write the same article except skewed positively.

Edit - technically Docherty is still rated above average (maybe elite ?), So why not chuck him in too

I find it a bit misleading personally. Champion data doesn't actually classify players until they have played 10 games in the past two years, so players like stocker, setterfield, Gibbons, Lobbe (maybe I can't 100% remember), and another one or two others that are rated poor (I think it was 5 of the 8), wouldn't actually be classified as such. If we remove that, there is actually only one more player in below average-poor, than there is in above average-elite. Fix that and suddenly you can write the same article except skewed positively.

Edit - technically Docherty is still rated above average (maybe elite ?), So why not chuck him in too

How far back does Champion Data take into account? 2 years?

We know we were horrible last year, lots of injury issues and even those who were playing didn't look fit.
Might look quite different if looking at this year alone.

And what about Walsh who hasn't played 10 games.

Champion Data is incredibly over rated. Their raw data is fantastic but their conclusions are absolute rubbish.

How far back does Champion Data take into account? 2 years?

We know we were horrible last year, lots of injury issues and even those who were playing didn't look fit.
Might look quite different if looking at this year alone.

And what about Walsh who hasn't played 10 games.
Yes last two years.

Ah woops they did count Walsh, so I guess that's one less player in the above average (he'll reach 10 games in a couple weeks tho so not too much difference)

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They paid him to be a steady hand with excellent media relationships to restore Melbourne’s standing in the game. They weren’t paying him to coach. All the other coaches there were doing the oppo scouting etc. mostly he got in the way of developing their game plan and insisted they be Uber defensive when the other coaches wanted the team to be more expansive.
Under selling him here. They also made it very clear that all the positives were his doing whilst blaming all the negatives as a hangover on the tanking days.

GS is right Wall’s was put in to satisfy the baying of some powerful wolves. Bolton nor MLG were happy. It’s taken 4 month for Walls to get to grips with modern footy dept. guessing he’ll start to make some calls soon.
Then god ******* help us. Walls wouldn’t know his arse from his elbow..
We have two options, Bolton or Tassie.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion of course. However Robert Walls is a bona-fide legend of our club, premiership player and coach. Respectfully Bolton is neither of those things.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion of course. However Robert Walls is a bona-fide legend of our club, premiership player and coach. Respectfully Bolton is neither of those things.
Fair point mate and understood. My point was Walls is long out of touch with what brings success in modern football.
Like a few have said Bolton needs that Neil Craig type mentor not old school Carlton hovering over his shoulder.

Of course he wouldnt have a clue.
Thats exactly why he was coach at 4 clubs and with a premiership to his name.
Thats why he was high in football journalism and commentary and analysis for yonks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course he wouldnt have a clue.
Thats exactly why he was coach at 4 clubs and with a premiership to his name.
Thats why he was high in football journalism and commentary and analysis for yonks.

Can’t remember the exact quote but Walls has had to come to grips with getting his head around a vastly changed footy dept since he last coached. The other thing was that he was positive about Bolton’s coaching ability, sticking fat has been reflected in the Judd/Mathesion commentary this week. This was all coming from BT so who knows what connections he has.

Can’t remember the exact quote but Walls has had to come to grips with getting his head around a vastly changed footy dept since he last coached. The other thing was that he was positive about Bolton’s coaching ability, sticking fat has been reflected in the Judd/Mathesion commentary this week. This was all coming from BT so who knows what connections he has.
That I can believe. Me too. Its ridiculous actually. Far too much money being paid to lucky people that work in what has become a massively over staffed entertainment industry.
When Wallsy coached the industry was small but the football was much better. Now he is mentoring dozens of blokes with clipboards doing lord knows what. Yet there is still the same 18 chaps and one football to grasp on that field.

Brett Rattan, last time we bought a former coach back he became our coach of the century. Im sorry but for me it is time to make the call on Bolton.
Ratts is an assistant at St.kilda and if offered a senior job they would not stand in his way. I reckon he would fire up Murph and simmo might even go again. Time to give Bolts his last handshake. It just hasn't worked.

Gibbs had 13 disposals on the weekend at 69% disposal efficiency.

10 of those disposals were uncontested.

When Adelaide get a few more players back, his spot might come under pressure again.
Thats pretty awful for a bloke with his ability

I have no data to back this up, but I reckon Walls did a mountain of work for the young Bears, who became the 3xLions under Mathews

I believe Walls loves the club.
I don't believe he has any desire to coach again.
I think he just wants us to be great again.

Being the boss is a lonely place. To question yourself constantly is expected. When things are tough, to have someone to vent/talk to is a godsend.

I have no data to back this up, but I reckon Walls did a mountain of work for the young Bears, who became the 3xLions under Mathews

I believe Walls loves the club.
I don't believe he has any desire to coach again.
I think he just wants us to be great again.

Being the boss is a lonely place. To question yourself constantly is expected. When things are tough, to have someone to vent/talk to is a godsend.
Terrific and wise post in my humble opinion.
I mean the club asked him and why else would he do this role but for love.

Just recovered from digesting Sundays tragedy. Trying so hard to put a positive spin on things. Hoping the sky hasn't fallen in by tomorrow (looks like it has in Mildura though this arvo). Serious soul searching has revealed something that may perk a few of you up a bit....

2016 - Western Bulldogs get trounced by Geelong Rd 23 (43 - 100)
2017 - Richmond get pole-axed by Adelaide (64 - 140) and by St Kilda (71 - 138)
2018 - West Coast rolled by Kangas (41 - 81) and restricted to 1 goal in a half!!

Pretty sure these teams didn't let a shellacking (or 2) totally derail their season.......in their PREMIERSHIP season.

A week ago, I was pretty upbeat about the growth/development/progress of the Blues this season.

I for one am not letting that nightmare dictate what can still be a positive season. Just a big blip on the 2019 radar.

The season rolls on and I am looking ahead to the remaining 15-odd games of improvement and challenges, and an amazing 2020!!
That's when the show really begins, and I want Bolts to be a part of those brighter days.

Just recovered from digesting Sundays tragedy. Trying so hard to put a positive spin on things. Hoping the sky hasn't fallen in by tomorrow (looks like it has in Mildura though this arvo). Serious soul searching has revealed something that may perk a few of you up a bit....

2016 - Western Bulldogs get trounced by Geelong Rd 23 (43 - 100)
2017 - Richmond get pole-axed by Adelaide (64 - 140) and by St Kilda (71 - 138)
2018 - West Coast rolled by Kangas (41 - 81) and restricted to 1 goal in a half!!

Pretty sure these teams didn't let a shellacking (or 2) totally derail their season.......in their PREMIERSHIP season.

A week ago, I was pretty upbeat about the growth/development/progress of the Blues this season.

I for one am not letting that nightmare dictate what can still be a positive season. Just a big blip on the 2019 radar.

The season rolls on and I am looking ahead to the remaining 15-odd games of improvement and challenges, and an amazing 2020!!
That's when the show really begins, and I want Bolts to be a part of those brighter days.
It is almost comprehensible when teams have an off week as long as they are winning consistently in between these rare off games ...I don’t think this applies to us ... we have off weeks after consistent defeats ... :)

Back