Prediction Changes for Round 8 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ancient but it is still one of the best ways to view sport. Unlike LCD/LED plasma was designed from the start to display moving image and has a great representation of black. Initially LCD was terrible, these days it's pretty amazing what they have done to overcome the limitations of that technology.
Jesus, I'm feeling old. I think if it isn's a tube tv, it's state of the art. Even then, some tube tvs are pretty fancy, what with those magic sticks where you don't have to get up to change the station.

I wouldn't be adding Quaynor in to blood him in what a lot are thinking will be an easy win. It won’t be that way and even if it was, i’d prefer our most experienced and capable outfit to rip them apart vs we’ll get the 4 points in the end and hey, let’s see of we can give a newby or two an easy run mentality.

Jesus, I'm feeling old. I think if it isn's a tube tv, it's state of the art. Even then, some tube tvs are pretty fancy, what with those magic sticks where you don't have to get up to change the station.
Such a good post.

Magic stick.
Brilliant.

It is ancient but it is still one of the best ways to view sport. Unlike LCD/LED plasma was designed from the start to display moving image and has a great representation of black. Initially LCD was terrible, these days it's pretty amazing what they have done to overcome the limitations of that technology.

It's the old Beta v VHS argument all over again. Beta better quality, especially the audio aspects, VHS the video of choice.

Excellent! Deserved 2 likes. :)

Ancient... I remember it was only a bit over 10 years ago the choice between LCD and plasma was a flip of a coin. LCD was better for 32 inches and under, plasma for 40 inches plus. I guess 10 years is ancient in terms of technology though...

I got the last 60” plasma model LG made in 2012 (I think) and I love it. Way better for watching cricket and footy on than my 4K LED.

It's the old Beta v VHS argument all over again. Beta better quality, especially the audio aspects, VHS the video of choice.
I think LCD/LED won out purely because of power consumption.

Assuming Sier is fit (which is a pretty big assumption) surely if he doesn't get a game now he won't for a while. Not sure who he rubbed the wrong way but clearly there is something else going on there.

I think Maynard pushed up the ground to add a bit of grunt last week we are missing with Sier. Don't know if that was just for the first Q but didn't really see it Q 2-4. Not sure where the hate is coming for him, he clearly can play that role.

Carlton is oddly a bit of a bogey side so I wouldn't be trialling 3 talls. Go with what got us to a GF. De Goey plays Medium/Tall too at 191cm (Mihocek is only 192), he doesn't need to be wasted in a crumbing role.
I read today that Sier should be available for selection - Rupert can't cop a break!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are no easy games in the competition. Every single one has to be won on the field, and Carlton are notorious for playing stronger against us.

Roughead has done some good work since arriving. He is steady, a good mark and a reliable kick. He doesn't panic. He is also slow covering his man on the lead, and this is probably the only area in which he is vulnerable. As long as there is a resting ruckman, few of whom are much good on the lead, in our opponents side, and there is at Carlton, he is needed. Against a side with a forward setup more like ours, he would have to be left out.

It is clear that for whatever reason (I certainly don't know), the coaches don't consider Reid a backman any more. Given that, there is no point speculating on his place in our backline. He is competing with Cox and Mihocek for their positions. Reid is probably the best footballer of the three, but he lacks the ground skills of Mihocek and the overhead threat of Cox.If all three play, our forward line becomes static and predictable. This is a job for super selector.

One would expect that Brown and Thomas will between them seek to take over Adams' duties. Unless a swift return of Seir occurs to confound this, then perhaps Wells comes back to further enhance the forwards, covering the goal kicking that seems to have deserted Thomas.

Aish could come back instead, or even Mayne if he is fit, but either of these means another change, probably Greenwood.

All in all, the selection dilemma is not "how do we scratch together cover with players not really suitable for what is required", but "which of the capable players is best for this week and the developing season". The choices last year were much less appealing.

I think you hit a few home runs here, but the bolded was a bit of a melon scratcher. Reid has clearly superior hands to Cox who would be the clear league leader in dropped marks. Reid came in off an almost 12 month absence from senior footy and clunks 4 contested marks which is huge.

What Cox has is the reach to cause a spillage that 99% of footballers can’t match. To me though that’s a different asset to overhead ability.

I have a plasma in a room not often used.
This is about to change as we've tidied the room now.
I put the footy on it the other day and it was like a home coming.:)

LCD is not as power hungry, has a longer half-life, and can support higher theoretical resolutions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back