AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.
04 - langford.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2026
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 8, boncer34

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Kyle was really poor yesterday but I want to give him credit for trying to not just bomb it like everyone else.

We can’t complain that everyone just bombs the ball long then also whinge when someone tries not to, takes time for a good option to become available and looks slow because nothing is there.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Kyle was really poor yesterday but I want to give him credit for trying to not just bomb it like everyone else.

We can’t complain that everyone just bombs the ball long then also whinge when someone tries not to, takes time for a good option to become available and looks slow because nothing is there.
Yep

He's got a good head on his shoulders, and is usually a far better kick than we saw on the weekend.
Should persist. Give him a run at it as a HFF rotating through the middle or wings.
Kid has talent. Just needs to step up to the pace of AFL and start showcasing it in a position he's good at.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yep

He's got a good head on his shoulders, and is usually a far better kick than we saw on the weekend.
Should persist. Give him a run at it as a HFF rotating through the middle or wings.
Kid has talent. Just needs to step up to the pace of AFL and start showcasing it in a position he's good at.
Also think he originally took the tough love well and second half of last year showed that. Not sure it's the best way anymore with him, should give him a few games in a row without fear of losing his spot and see how he goes. Seemed to be playing scared of making a mistake yesterday.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Also think he originally took the tough love well and second half of last year showed that. Not sure it's the best way anymore with him, should give him a few games in a row without fear of losing his spot and see how he goes. Seemed to be playing scared of making a mistake yesterday.
Given why he was dropped (small brain fade in our worst game of the year), im not surprised.
We're nowhere if we drop him again. Esp to tread water with known quantities who arent going to get better.

Flag seems highly unlikely this year, but we have the list to build towards one in the immediate future. Gotta find out what the likes of Langford, Parish and Francis are gonna bring to the table rather than waiting for retirements before we try.

RaySamuel

Debutant
Nov 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the criticism is harsh. Noted he's done some poor things this year but showed signs of what he could and can do through a purple patch in 2018. That should be reason enough to give him a few consecutive games and a decent chance to try and recapture that.

Wangawuti

Bounce Recall Expert
Jun 14, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Keep him at HFF. Clearly not a midfielder atm, but that might develop later in his career. Who knows.
But for now, let's get his confidence up at AFL level in his natural position.

Bomberview

Rookie
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Wow

Reading thru - Langers is done as far as his AFL career is concerned- well it would appear at Essendon. What he is contracted until 2020 ' will he in reality be at Essendon next year, and or where.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Confidence appears shot. It's a shame because he was playing very good football towards the back-end of last season.

IMO there have been a few young guys who have been mismanaged over the off-season and for whatever reason have regressed compared with last year. It'd probably do Langford the world of good if the coaches backed him in and gave his footy some continuity. Being the scapegoat for the team's terrible start to the season was hardly fair either.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
In a game where we have no semblance of forward structure, where forwards weren't leading to space or hitting up the ball carrier, Langford got 2 shots on goal by working into good positions (at least that's how it looked on TV) and the players upfield honouring his work.

In the past he's been quite a reliable set shot, so I'd say his misses were more the exception than the norm.

I'm not beyond playing him as a forward where his time spent in the midfield over the past 2 years may compliment his natural game as a forward.

Where/how to get him in the side as a forward is the problem. He can't displace a small like Raz or Walla, you'd ideally have a midfielder rotating through the forward line, he's not moving Daniher or Stringer out. Does that means he gets a go in Baguley's spot (which won't happen) or he fights with Brown/Francis/McKernan etc for that last spot?

I can't see us playing him as a forward but I wouldn't be completely against it if it eventuated. There's too much there to throw him on the scrap heap, but nobody can find the keys to unlock it. If it can't be unlocked then his future is limited, I get that, but if we could play him in a position where he actually seems to "get it", it could be a way to turn his career around.

It would also mean the coaches swallowing their pride which generally doesn't happen either.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
In a game where we have no semblance of forward structure, where forwards weren't leading to space or hitting up the ball carrier, Langford got 2 shots on goal by working into good positions (at least that's how it looked on TV) and the players upfield honouring his work.

In the past he's been quite a reliable set shot, so I'd say his misses were more the exception than the norm.

I'm not beyond playing him as a forward where his time spent in the midfield over the past 2 years may compliment his natural game as a forward.

Where/how to get him in the side as a forward is the problem. He can't displace a small like Raz or Walla, you'd ideally have a midfielder rotating through the forward line, he's not moving Daniher or Stringer out. Does that means he gets a go in Baguley's spot (which won't happen) or he fights with Brown/Francis/McKernan etc for that last spot?

I can't see us playing him as a forward but I wouldn't be completely against it if it eventuated. There's too much there to throw him on the scrap heap, but nobody can find the keys to unlock it. If it can't be unlocked then his future is limited, I get that, but if we could play him in a position where he actually seems to "get it", it could be a way to turn his career around.

It would also mean the coaches swallowing their pride which generally doesn't happen either.
Frankly I believe we found the keys last year.....continuity. Seems we lost them in the off season though.

Bomberview

Rookie
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
That's so incorrect. It is a 40% midfielder- same fwd and bench. He kicks 2 goals ( should have) id rather 16 and 2 goals as to 25. Kid always always finds space in fwd line

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=4049&pid2=4049&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

Only number that's dropped significantly for mine in his tackles.

Has Langford regressed or are people finally starting to realise a 16/17 touch a game midfielder isn't actually that great of a return?
100% regressed. Last year he was doing actual damage with his possessions. The conversation last year was more that he needed to turn 16-17 touches into 24-25. He was one you wanted delivering inside 50.

Since then he’s not only failed to increase his possession average, but he’s turning it over.

That’s the definition of regressed really.

Bomberview

Rookie
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
He will at a club which plays and backs him in o suggest. Interesting situation as I'm thinking Langers will leave- What happens to Myers (uncontracted) and we don't have early picks. So arguably do we lose both or Myers gets another year. Setterfield was on our want list - but what has he done this year- Langers is 22 I'm sure his best is very much still to come!!

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=4049&pid2=4049&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

Only number that's dropped significantly for mine in his tackles.

Has Langford regressed or are people finally starting to realise a 16/17 touch a game midfielder isn't actually that great of a return?

It is exactly this. I can recall about 2 or 3 ok'ish games but the rest were pretty much the same bog standard stuff.

He's exactly the same player. If he plays most games he will have a few ok ones and get people excited but thats what these type of players do. Only when it all falls for them they can look good.

He was meant to be quite athletic but is quite slow across the ground. Add that to poor and slow decision making and it pretty much curtains for him. It would take a minor miracle for him to be on the list another year.

It is exactly this. I can recall about 2 or 3 ok'ish games but the rest were pretty much the same bog standard stuff.

He's exactly the same player. If he plays most games he will have a few ok ones and get people excited but thats what these type of players do. Only when it all falls for them they can look good.

He was meant to be quite athletic but is quite slow across the ground. Add that to poor and slow decision making and it pretty much curtains for him. It would take a minor miracle for him to be on the list another year.

He was good last year at 21 and we’re only 7 rounds in. Get real

Bomberview

Rookie
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Mate suggest you go and have a close look at his IMPACT. It was consistent over a 12 week spread - noting he was cleaned up by Jones and played sore no doubt week after so he got some courage
Slow over the ground - no idea

Probably lucky he resigned with us giving the stuffing around. Probably out this week and bring in our most improved Davey- wow and we will probably loose and blame parish gueifi or Francis.

Go and watch most of his games in the second half of last year, and then compare it to the dross he was serving up on Sunday. It's chalk and cheese.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Lead up forward?

Seriously 🙄

Let’s just admit the guy has no idea what he’s doing at league level.

To be a ‘ lead up forward’ in this comp is the hardest position of all to be good at.

He hasn’t got the aggression or speed of hand or foot to do anything that says he’ll make it in any position.

50 games and what has he got to show for it? A couple of good performances against weaker sides.

I know a spud when I see one and unfortunately for young Kyle he’s one big potato.

It’s a shame but that’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes in the big league.

I don't often disagree with you, but I do on this.
I think he could end up being a good player. Unfortunately, it could be at a Hawthorn, or somewhere else.

Back