Politics Is centrism the most sensible position to take politically?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear lord, you cannot be that naive.

So Moggster gets to change his mind because the facts have changed?.

You have completely missed the point, he changed due to parliamentary arithmetic.

But the rest of the Brits when confronted by a myriad of facts that have changed are not allowed to change their minds are they?

A most desparate and pathetic argument. One that you wouldnt be making if reamain won.

Grease Mugg is basically saying 'vote for the deal' so that the UK has an opportunity to renege, backtrack, act in bad faith, and generally be a complete ***whatever*** on the global stage and towards the EU to twist the Political Declaration into something different further down the line with a different PM.

His endgame hasnt changed one bit.

The EU has acted in extreme bad faith. Why would the UK bother to play nicely? They are trying to shaft the UK and any reasonable person can see that. Leopards wont change their spots. Vile organisation simply incapable of decency and transparency.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...-When-it-becomes-serious-you-have-to-lie.html

Mr Juncker has never hidden his view that the compromises and deals being worked out in EU meetings or leaders or ministers need be protected from public scrutiny, by lies if necessary.

"When it becomes serious, you have to lie," he said.

You have completely missed the point, he changed due to parliamentary arithmetic.
I made that point already, the had no other choice, he lost all support in the West.

A most desparate and pathetic argument. One that you wouldnt be making if reamain won.
[/quote]

What is pathetic about that? why did he change his mind from no deal then? why did Farage change his mind from no 2nd referendum to backing a 2nd referendum to no refs. again? as long as brexiters do it you seem to have no issues.

The EU has acted in extreme bad faith. Why would the UK bother to play nicely? They are trying to shaft the UK and any reasonable person can see that. Leopards wont change their spots. Vile organisation simply incapable of decency and transparency.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...-When-it-becomes-serious-you-have-to-lie.html

Mr Juncker has never hidden his view that the compromises and deals being worked out in EU meetings or leaders or ministers need be protected from public scrutiny, by lies if necessary.

"When it becomes serious, you have to lie," he said.

an article from 2014 and no no politicians never lie, do they? only the Brexiters right? :drunk: * me mate, you have lost the plot. Johnson, Farage,, Mogg, Foster et all.. all act in good faith hey? their entire brexit manifesto didn't contain a single lie right?

The EU is looking after their interests, simple as that. So should they.

And the UK should look after its interests by leaving. Yet you oppose that.

To add to this: its a total lack of self-awareness and oozing arrogant entitlement, David Davis last month declared, in respect of the ongoing Brexit negotiations, May “needs to bring back a clear ability on the part of the United Kingdom to be able to leave this treaty when it chooses to. There is no other treaty in the world I’m aware of where a sovereign nation undertakes to join up and can only leave when the other side says so.”

In early March, Jeremy Hunt declared, in Glasgow, that ‘of course’ May would reject any request from the Scottish Government for the right to hold a second independence referendum - and that despite the people of Scotland being sovereign, (Westminster reaffirmed the Claim of Rights of the Scottish people in July 2018) and Scotland and England being co-signatories to a treaty of union.

Perhaps, these arrogant elitist shysters could be asked to explain this anomaly?

To add to this: its a total lack of self-awareness and oozing arrogant entitlement, David Davis last month declared, in respect of the ongoing Brexit negotiations, May “needs to bring back a clear ability on the part of the United Kingdom to be able to leave this treaty when it chooses to. There is no other treaty in the world I’m aware of where a sovereign nation undertakes to join up and can only leave when the other side says so.”

In early March, Jeremy Hunt declared, in Glasgow, that ‘of course’ May would reject any request from the Scottish Government for the right to hold a second independence referendum - and that despite the people of Scotland being sovereign, (Westminster reaffirmed the Claim of Rights of the Scottish people in July 2018) and Scotland and England being co-signatories to a treaty of union.

Perhaps, these arrogant elitist shysters could be asked to explain this anomaly?

lol trying to compare the UK constitutional arrangments with those between UK and EU. Scotland needs Westminsters approval re referendum as Sturgeon admits. UK doesnt need approval re Article 50

Desperate stuff.

Oppose that? where have i opposed UK looking after their interests? i am arguing it's in UK's best interest to stay in the largest trading bloc in the world, the one where they had ZERO MANDATE for leaving.

dear oh dear. NO mandate for leaving. Brexit derangement syndrome at its finest.

Largest vote in UK history in favour of something but not a mandate. I guess both major parties at last election saying they were in favour of Brexit wasnt a mandate either. You make Nick Clegg look rational.

lol trying to compare the UK constitutional arrangments with those between UK and EU. Scotland needs Westminsters approval re referendum as Sturgeon admits. UK doesnt need approval re Article 50

Desperate stuff.

Sovereignty mate, sovereignty, the one word you keep shouting 50 times a day. Then why did Westminster confirm the Claim of Rights. The Scottish people are sovereign - whether you like it or not - and that has been CONFIRMED by Westminster. Sorry (not).

Try to maintain one set standard, if you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dear oh dear. NO mandate for leaving. Brexit derangement syndrome at its finest.

Largest vote in UK history in favour of something but not a mandate. I guess both major parties at last election saying they were in favour of Brexit wasnt a mandate either. You make Nick Clegg look rational.

Yes no mandate for leaving, i posted the evidence in the brexit thread already, in the entire brexiters manifesto, CU and SM been mentioned once and no specific stance was taken towards it. read from fullfact. What is it with you brexiters and facts? you hate it so much?

Yes no mandate for leaving, i posted the evidence in the brexit thread already, in the entire brexiters manifesto, CU and SM been mentioned once and no specific stance was taken towards it. read from fullfact. What is it with you brexiters and facts? you hate it so much?

Lol. If there is no mandate for Brexit then there is no mandate for anything. You are stooping to Erdogan like muppetry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48177740

Turkey's electoral body has been condemned for ordering Istanbul's local elections to be re-held after an opposition victory in March.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party had claimed there were "irregularities and corruption" behind the opposition CHP's slim win.

What has happened to my beautiful, beautiful thread

Derailed by the extremist view that a country should have its legislation written by other countries.

If you take centrism in the UK (and subscribe to the view the lib dems are the centrist party) then the answer to your question would be no.

It is an interesting idea, but it was, and is, fatally flawed as a concept to live by. Where, exactly, might the centre be? What is the centre or mean for some is completely radical for others. Where is the line drawn which delineates 'the centre' from the extremes of the spectrum?

How is living in a society driven largely by logic and practic fatally flawed? I agree that ones view of what centrism will vary and vary widely to the next but by and large societies are largely governed "sensibly". Of course a white supremacists view of logic and practic is not, but they're a minority and governance generally (and thankfully) doesn't cater for them.

Even if centrism is so called flawed, then any alternative is more so.

The blunt reality is that the sensible centre can't cater for everyone and is not ideal for those with extreme idealogues. It would not be practical to govern for extreme minorities regardless of how noble the sentiment is, and that's why we have "sensible" centred candidates outnumbering extreme driven individuals (thankfully)

How is living in a society driven largely by logic and practic fatally flawed?

That would mean totally disavowing Keynesian economics yet that would be called extremist. Not only that but the so called centre moves. Land rights would have been viewed as extreme a while ago, ditto gay marriage.

Last time I checked being correct usually wins the debate being incorrect generally does not.
Last I checked, what is considered correct differs depending on who is listening.

I'd love to think there's an acceptance for decent arguments within civil society, but in the main what is present is bubbles of thought, in which people very rarely leave the safety of their own opinions.

That would mean totally disavowing Keynesian economics yet that would be called extremist. Not only that but the so called centre moves. Land rights would have been viewed as extreme a while ago, ditto gay marriage.

Of course ideals change but neither of those topics are seen as extreme - now -. They're still central subjects, at least to the majority anyway.

Whichever way you look at, at least in the last century and a bit western civilizations have largely been governed with the majority in mind. And by and large the majority are in varying degrees "sensible" law abiding types.

Last I checked, what is considered correct differs depending on who is listening.

I'd love to think there's an acceptance for decent arguments within civil society, but in the main what is present is bubbles of thought, in which people very rarely leave the safety of their own opinions.

Regardless of how one views "correct" generally there is correct and incorrect. For example denying the Geelong defeating Essendon would be incorrect.

Lol. If there is no mandate for Brexit then there is no mandate for anything. You are stooping to Erdogan like muppetry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48177740

Turkey's electoral body has been condemned for ordering Istanbul's local elections to be re-held after an opposition victory in March.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party had claimed there were "irregularities and corruption" behind the opposition CHP's slim win.

Do you have an idea what you are on about? Did i say there is no mandate for Brexit? Brexit doesnt equal to a hard Brexit, that is my point. As usual you are clueless (and i am no longer surprised by anything you make up really)

Host of brexiters, (see examples below) have spoken about Norway, Swiss model after leaving the EU. Including your demi god Nigel Farage, just a simple google will tell you he backed the Norway model atleast a 100 times in different interviews. What is then the Norwegian model, sir? do tell?

Here is the biggest muppet of all BORIS ******* JOHNSON saying he will vote to stay in the single market.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-single-market-brexit-campaign-customs-union-2018-1

Boris Johnson speaking before the referendum: "I would vote to stay in the single market. I'm in favour of the single market."

Then Rees Mogg, Davis, Foster, Hannan, they all parroted the same lies. So why all of a sudden do they have a mandate now to exit the Single market?

Farage said, staying in the EEA is the best possible outcome for the UK. Not once not twice but 10 times, i can supply you with the youtube video if you wish to.

Oh i forgot, they are pathological liars!!!!

There is no mandate period.

I have presented the evidence of mandate. several times. Please show me where in the brexit manifesto leaving the CU/SM was mentioned? it wasn't, CU/SM got nothing to do with the EU. It's only in your mind (and your ilks like Mogg/Farage) this is the case.

Yet one searches in vain for such language during the referendum campaign. Among Vote Leave’s 53 “key speeches, interviews and op-eds”, encompassing tens of thousands of words, there is just one reference to the “customs union”

In no reasonable sense, then, can the British people be said to have given their consent to leaving the customs union. The referendum result provided a mandate for leaving the EU and, arguably, for ending free movement - but it did not commit the UK to a “hard Brexit”.

EU doesn't equal to CU/SM. You can be outside of EU and still be in the CU.

Here is full fact

https://fullfact.org/europe/what-was-promised-about-customs-union-referendum/

The customs union was rarely mentioned by Leave campaigners before the referendum. There were generally calls for the UK to have an independent trade policy, though messages about specific trading arrangements weren’t always consistent.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back