Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlueView

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Just recovered from digesting Sundays tragedy. Trying so hard to put a positive spin on things. Hoping the sky hasn't fallen in by tomorrow (looks like it has in Mildura though this arvo). Serious soul searching has revealed something that may perk a few of you up a bit....

2016 - Western Bulldogs get trounced by Geelong Rd 23 (43 - 100)
2017 - Richmond get pole-axed by Adelaide (64 - 140) and by St Kilda (71 - 138)
2018 - West Coast rolled by Kangas (41 - 81) and restricted to 1 goal in a half!!

Pretty sure these teams didn't let a shellacking (or 2) totally derail their season.......in their PREMIERSHIP season.

A week ago, I was pretty upbeat about the growth/development/progress of the Blues this season.

I for one am not letting that nightmare dictate what can still be a positive season. Just a big blip on the 2019 radar.

The season rolls on and I am looking ahead to the remaining 15-odd games of improvement and challenges, and an amazing 2020!!
That's when the show really begins, and I want Bolts to be a part of those brighter days.

I remember being at Princess park round 2 2004 104 - 50 when we smacked a young Geelong side that proved to be turning point for them

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Absolutely. Kruezer's inclusion versus his injury is proof of that, as was Mumford's when he was traded from Sydney to GWS; overnight, they were almost 10 times as effective around the ball.

Having said that, though, I don't think we should be looking at getting in a Grundy/Gawn/Cox/Kreuzer type for the main ruck, if TDK is not that kind of player. Doing that leaves you a strategic weakness that is exploitable where a good, not a great ruckman (Jolly, McEvoy, Pike, Nankervis) flies sufficiently below the radar that the opposition don't put time into negating them. A dominant ruckman can and will be beaten and you will lose; a good ruckman may lose but can negate their superior counterparts to your advantage.

A stopgap that is AFL caliber would be perfect, although I really wish we got in Preuss at the end of last season. Phillips had a terrific 6 week patch in the VFL last year, but before and after has looked unable to play at AFL level for long enough, IMO. If that fails, though, I'd love to see Liam Jones in the ruck more often, with the simple mantra for him to slam into his direct opponent with his eyes for the ball and to tackle like a demon. If it compromises our backline in the short term, promote Goddard or Macreadie, or give Marchbank full back and make him work on his one on one stuff.

Need to use what we've got in more interesting ways.
It’s an interesting one the Jones in the ruck, he actually played there in the VFL at times when he was first moved to the backline and they hadn’t settled on that move yet, he did extremely well and looked a natural second ruck option with his big leap and his agility he was good when the ball hit the ground and moved well, with his marking ability as well he could really be a dynamic option.
It might be interesting to have a look at if Goddard comes in for him this week and goes fairly well it might be worth keeping him in and giving Jones a run around in the ruck and see how he goes, I honestly think he would be much more valuable in that role than either Phillips or Lobbe as he would be like an extra mid similar to Kreuz and with Goddard in we could drop CAS and play Jones as second ruck, I like it outside the box thinking and has the ability to really improve our options. 👍🏽

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Name a right back pocket who won for his team a grand final within the last 20 years?
Name a left right pocket who won for his team a grand final within the last 20 years?
Name a full back who won for his team a grand final within the last 20 years?
Name a right or left back flanker who won for his team a grand final within the last 20 years?
Name a winger who won for his team a grand final within the last 20 years?

Fill the rest in yourself, since you're so good at daft questions.

Why Tom Boyd? Because he kicked the 3rd last goal of the match? He didn't even win the NS medal.

Ruckman have long been an integral part of a team and that's why coaches keep on picking them. So while you may prefer a mediocre ruckman, I'll go for the gun (or two) if I can get one.

Perhaps you'd explain what a ruckman (or any player) needs to do to "[win] for his team a grand final"?
Quick question, what’s a left right pocket? Is that a dual sided back pocket?😀

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Great mark and a nice predictable choice but sorry. Why not Buchanan who moments before kicked the goal that put Sydney in front? You could say Buchanan won the game and Leo saved it. Or was it Jason Ball who won the crucial ruck contest and pushed the ball towards the goals and into Buchanan's path? I always rated Barry Hall's goal early in the 4th as a big influence on Sydney's win. But it's a dumb question by Gethlered. If you want to play this silly game you have to define the criteria for what constitutes an individual winning a GF for his team.

The thing is it's a team game - teams win GFs. I never saw a headline "Boyd defeats Sydney" in 2016.
I always thought the most valuable was the tribunal for letting Barry Hall play at all.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Don’t feel bad Blue many a batsman have been bamboozled by a Thy googly. 🤪
When I was a young fellow. Playing that test match game in the box. Always the googly that did the trick.

1557236018095.png

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just recovered from digesting Sundays tragedy. Trying so hard to put a positive spin on things. Hoping the sky hasn't fallen in by tomorrow (looks like it has in Mildura though this arvo). Serious soul searching has revealed something that may perk a few of you up a bit....

2016 - Western Bulldogs get trounced by Geelong Rd 23 (43 - 100)
2017 - Richmond get pole-axed by Adelaide (64 - 140) and by St Kilda (71 - 138)
2018 - West Coast rolled by Kangas (41 - 81) and restricted to 1 goal in a half!!

Pretty sure these teams didn't let a shellacking (or 2) totally derail their season.......in their PREMIERSHIP season.

A week ago, I was pretty upbeat about the growth/development/progress of the Blues this season.

I for one am not letting that nightmare dictate what can still be a positive season. Just a big blip on the 2019 radar.

The season rolls on and I am looking ahead to the remaining 15-odd games of improvement and challenges, and an amazing 2020!!
That's when the show really begins, and I want Bolts to be a part of those brighter days.
Well said and the exact point a lot of us have been trying to make since Sunday. 👍🏽

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
the stupid way you chose what ball was bowled with that sliding arc thing - like I even knew what a googly was when I was 4 - and no ball, bat or stumps!

Seem to remember another game where you had a bowler who had a spring in his arm. One player tried to swing his arm over with a little pea sized ball and the other player tried to hit the ball with a bat like a paddle pop stick. Diabolically stupid game.

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s an interesting one the Jones in the ruck, he actually played there in the VFL at times when he was first moved to the backline and they hadn’t settled on that move yet, he did extremely well and looked a natural second ruck option with his big leap and his agility he was good when the ball hit the ground and moved well, with his marking ability as well he could really be a dynamic option.
It might be interesting to have a look at if Goddard comes in for him this week and goes fairly well it might be worth keeping him in and giving Jones a run around in the ruck and see how he goes, I honestly think he would be much more valuable in that role than either Phillips or Lobbe as he would be like an extra mid similar to Kreuz and with Goddard in we could drop CAS and play Jones as second ruck, I like it outside the box thinking and has the ability to really improve our options. 👍🏽
very interesting, could work. Levi took a few strong grabs down back after Liam went down?( thank goodness he is ok) I liked what I saw with the big fella crashing thru packs straight ahead. Definitely worth another try I reckon but probably wont happen.
And if Ed doesn't go on the ball soon I will VOMIT.

Back