AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Back in the side against Sydney for 10 hitouts and a goal - 24/3

02 - draper.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 20, TheUnicorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else day ruined by hearing this news?
Lucky I only just read it so the day is almost done.

But seriously his debut was the thing I was looking forward to the most this season.

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
This made me genuinely sad. If all the boys had this blokes desire to succeed we would be a better team. If we played our youth a bit they wouldn't keep getting banged up in the reserves. Bellchambrrs looks to be carrying something this Clarke is an injury away from the end. Hope we can draft someone mid season who can ruck. This guy is a sponge and recon they should sit him in the coaches box for the year to learn as much as he can. Out most exciting ruck since madden and salmon. Good luck to him hope to see him mid season next year as our number one ruck

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Wish the medicos would stop being so conservative with ACL injuries - Aussie rules gives players 12 months recovery time while in other sports it's 6 to 9 months - Goldsack got back in 5 months in 2018 and he's going OK.

Goldsack had a non traditional surgery though so not exactly comparing apples to apples. I'm more than happy for the club to go the conservative rout with younger players.

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
Ryder had all the talent and for us really only showed it consistently for a year.
Draper has the attributes and attitude to be a dominant Ruckman for us. He is powerful and likes rough stuff.Christ he has played a few years of afl and shows so much. The commentators bang on about the absolute potato in cox. This guy is the real deal

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
No, but I hadn't actually looked at Goddard's stats at that point. Right now the best option seems to be Knoll from South Adelaide.

Thanks for reminding that something good happens every day :D
I think it’s fair to say that I’m feeling a little bit better about things this morning 😁

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Wish the medicos would stop being so conservative with ACL injuries - Aussie rules gives players 12 months recovery time while in other sports it's 6 to 9 months - Goldsack got back in 5 months in 2018 and he's going OK.
At Sams age and weight I'm pretty happy if they play this one pretty conservatively. Goldsack's career is all but over he didn't have much to lose by coming back early last year

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Lucky I only just read it so the day is almost done.

But seriously his debut was the thing I was looking forward to the most this season.

I’d have been very surprised if he got a game this year... looking at the positives, I think next season would have been the very earliest he’d have played.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Really s**t year to have done his ACL. Probably would have debuted if not for injury.

His improvement had been through the roof with the big thing for mine was his work around the ground. Has gone from being a body to target to genuinely linking up play around the ground.

Tap work has always been sound whilst his marking has gone to another level. The goals he puts up is a nice little bonus for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
From our cold dead hands, right now he is probably on the top of the list of our players we can’t afford to lose
Surely this story has some sort of fabrication attached to it. With Marshall and Longer there why would they pay 1.7mil over 4 years for an untried back up ruckman coming of an ACL. Ballsy move if true, even with the potential he has.

Back