Roast Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

For what it's worth, Gibbs always seemed to dominate whenever there was a contract renewal on the horizon.
Damn, you guys have turned on him big time.....he was easily your top 3 player for years and when he left and now some Carlton supporter are saying he isn't worth pick 10 in a weak draft (which is what we essentially traded for him).

Damn, you guys have turned on him big time.....he was easily your top 3 player for years and when he left and now some Carlton supporter are saying he isn't worth pick 10 in a weak draft (which is what we essentially traded for him).
Every club is guilty on that, read the Dangerfield thread.

Gibbs is and has been a fantastic player

**** knows who this imposter is at the moment
There are still glimpses of his talent. Every now and then his class is blindingly obvious, but he appears content to be easing off in his transition to retirement.

There's something not right. Psychological, physical, outside influences...?? He's a potential weapon but he's firing blanks. His numbers are passable but not up to his better years. Maybe he's a player who needs to take the bulk of responsibiity like when he was at Carlton. This unaccountable faffing around the outside is no good for the team nor for his own game.

After watching the replay a couple of times Gibbs actually wasn't that bad.
That's how I saw it too. He made some very cool decisions in a frenetic game, had some quality touches, but still looked like he was getting over a dose of the runs. It'll be interesting to see what the next few games bring.

You're all saying more or less what Carlton fans have been saying his whole career. He was the perennial whipping boy, looks like he still is tbf!

He never played with a high motor. He just cruises along at his own pace, regardless of the match situation. It's like he never developed from the kid with talent to proper AFL player. It's why he was moved to HB with Carlton and even used as a tagger at times, to play on the best and learn how they play the game. But he never did.

You're all saying more or less what Carlton fans have been saying his whole career. He was the perennial whipping boy, looks like he still is tbf!

He never played with a high motor. He just cruises along at his own pace, regardless of the match situation. It's like he never developed from the kid with talent to proper AFL player. It's why he was moved to HB with Carlton and even used as a tagger at times, to play on the best and learn how they play the game. But he never did.
Your club are the only ones to blame in regards to that lack of development.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still bemused that 10+19 for Lever was massive overs yet 10+16 for Gibbs was a win for us, trying to play semantics with 2nd and 3rd pick swaps is laughable. The reality is that those picks held little to no value to us especially when you consider that we ended up using them as steak knives in other deals.

We down traded Pick 24 back to the low 30s (which was pretty much the pick that we gave to Carlton) and we just gave away the 3rd round pick (44) to Sydney as steak knives in the McGovern deal.

Both the Lever and Gibbs deals were almost the same so unless you somehow rated Gibbs significantly higher than Lever at the end of 2017 then there's no way that the club could have won both trades.
Agreed. Knightmare, while not the be all end all did a draft redo for the 2014 draft where he has Lever as the real pick 2 in that draft.
We got reamed by SOS for Gibbs and were made to look stupid considering Reid said the year before that we wouldnt give over two firsts for him as its overs and the club has to be responsible, and then pays more the following year for a guy 1 year closer to retirement.
Gibbs is at the end of his career and the reality might be that he is now hitting the wall. So much for the bullshit about him having another 2 or 3 years at his peak that got sprouted in here.

I'm still bemused that 10+19 for Lever was massive overs yet 10+16 for Gibbs was a win for us, trying to play semantics with 2nd and 3rd pick swaps is laughable. The reality is that those picks held little to no value to us especially when you consider that we ended up using them as steak knives in other deals.

We down traded Pick 24 back to the low 30s (which was pretty much the pick that we gave to Carlton) and we just gave away the 3rd round pick (44) to Sydney as steak knives in the McGovern deal.

Both the Lever and Gibbs deals were almost the same so unless you somehow rated Gibbs significantly higher than Lever at the end of 2017 then there's no way that the club could have won both trades.

We paid to much for Gibbs but it shouldn't have been as bad if we didn't tank.
Similarly the Lever deal looked a lot better than it turned out.

The interesting thing is no-one would predict Carltons 2nd (pick 19) would be traded for a potential 2019 pick 19 while getting Hamill.
Now if we got say Francis or a genuine star at 19 and Hamill turns out to be a gun who ends up winning the trade especially if you start comparing the weakness of the 2017 picks and looking at who Carlton have got O'Brien, Kennedy, De Koning, Schumacher?

Ultimately any trade is made to look like a masterstroke vs dud based on results, especially if a GF win is involved, Tom Boyd, Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy.

That’s the thing isn’t it? He’s so much more than that

Agreed. I didn't think he was all that bad last weekend (or his various games prior to that) but we didn't target him to come here and be just another decent player. We targeted him to be a gun. He was last year, this year not so much.

Was the injury keeping him out this week there last week as well? It might explain a bit. Unfortunately he just hasn't been able to get a consistent run at it yet this year.

The issue with Gibbs is there isn’t a spot for him in our midfield and we paid a premium for a gun midfielder.

This could have worked out well had Burton not ****ed up 2018 and Gibbs helped us win a flag, no one would care now.

He never played with a high motor. He just cruises along at his own pace, regardless of the match situation.

He is just a Gibbs, what you have described is his old man to a T as well, used to watch Ross play when I was a kid, highly skilled, excellent player but you always thought he had more to give.

He is just a Gibbs, what you have described is his old man to a T as well, used to watch Ross play when I was a kid, highly skilled, excellent player but you always thought he had more to give.
Ross was a far better kick of the footy but yes never broke out of a canter either of them . Cruisers

My mum loved Ross and was very upset when Carlton took Bryce. I don't think she's all that excited to have him now, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back