Greatest Ever NSW team to be announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew Lenny Hayes was from NSW. Pennant Hills obviously. Surprised GWS didn't try and get him in their original 2012 squad

He got here eventually.

It wouldn't surprise me if we did but the cost may have been to much trade wise etc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hayes Should of went there as a player in 2013 and 14 as a GWS player. Being an old general with a young squad. Now an assistant with your mob I see

Gerard Healy was on the selection committee, so expect the likes of Crawford and Breust to miss out

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-09/revealed-the-greatest-nsw-team-of-all-time

B: Chris Lethbridge (Sydney YMCA/Fitzroy), Leo Barry (Deniliquin/Sydney), Ross Henshaw (North Albury/North Melbourne)
HB: Jarryd McVeigh (Pennant Hills/Sydney), Gordon Strang (East Albury/Richmond), Dennis Carroll (Albury Tigers/Sydney)
C: Shane Crawford (Finley/Hawthorn), Lenny Hayes (Pennant Hills/St Kilda), Neil Davies (Central Broken Hill/Glenelg)
HF: Terry Daniher (Ungarie/Essendon), Wayne Carey (North Wagga/North Melbourne), Luke Breust (Temora/Hawthorn)
F: Paul Kelly (Wagga Tigers/Sydney), Bill Mohr (Wagga Tigers/St Kilda), John Longmire (Corowa-Rutherglen/North Melbourne)
R: Bruce McGregor (West Broken Hill/West Adelaide), Brett Kirk (North Albury/Sydney), Haydn Bunton (West Albury/Fitzroy)
I/C: Mark Maclure (East Sydney/Carlton), Isaac Smith (Wagga Tigers/Hawthorn), Kieren Jack (Pennant Hills/Sydney), Tom Hawkins (Finley/Geelong)

According the afl.com.au the criteria are as per the NSW rugby league state of origin rules. For these, ACT players qualify for NSW...

'ACT players are eligible to represent Country in the NSWRL City vs Country Origin in an annual match against a City side selected by the NSWRL. It is played before the Rugby League State of Origin series and is often referred to as a selection trial for the New South Wales Blues team.

They can also go onto play for New South Wales Blues in the State of Origin series against Queensland Maroons.'

For someone born overseas the rules state that you cannot have played for a tier 1 country and you must have resided in NSW (ACT) pre age 13.

I present Alex Jesaulenko. Born in Austria, moved to Australia age ~4, moved to ACT aged ~5, played first AFL for Eastlake in the ACT league. Under rugby league rules this qualifies him for NSW rep side.

So why isn't he in the AFL NSW side?

According the afl.com.au the criteria are as per the NSW rugby league state of origin rules. For these, ACT players qualify for NSW...

'ACT players are eligible to represent Country in the NSWRL City vs Country Origin in an annual match against a City side selected by the NSWRL. It is played before the Rugby League State of Origin series and is often referred to as a selection trial for the New South Wales Blues team.

They can also go onto play for New South Wales Blues in the State of Origin series against Queensland Maroons.'

For someone born overseas the rules state that you cannot have played for a tier 1 country and you must have resided in NSW (ACT) pre age 13.

I present Alex Jesaulenko. Born in Austria, moved to Australia age ~4, moved to ACT aged ~5, played first AFL for Eastlake in the ACT league. Under rugby league rules this qualifies him for NSW rep side.

So why isn't he in the AFL NSW side?
ACT isn't included.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They aren't. They are using the old Aussie Rules SOO rules but also ACT released their team a while ago.

Makes plenty of sense.
So what you are saying is that afl.com.au have got it wrong. They aren't using the NSW rugby league SOO rules at all!

As reported...
Selection criteria
  • The rules governing selection for NSW in State of Origin apply.
Edit - I get it. I was using SOO as it is generally used in NSW, to apply to league. This is AFL SOO rules, something I didn't even think existed since the old WA/Big V days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back